Music that gets you
Occhidiangela,Mar 3 2005, 05:07 PM Wrote:Last Poets Link
[right][snapback]69675[/snapback][/right]

Interesting stuff. I'm sure their message still resonates with a lot of people. This stuff has never been very inspirational to me. :rolleyes: But I like the clever methods with which they were able to deliver their ideas to the masses.
Portishead, Cocteau Twins, Massive Attack. Dead Can Dance. Peter Murphy, Goldfrapp, Marc Almond. Black Box Recorder. I burned out on the basic guitar sounds a long time ago, unfortunately, but still love the occasional Moody Blues or Pink Floyd.
Munkay,Feb 28 2005, 08:32 PM Wrote:No time to post right now, but wanted to offer a related post: Occhi's post
[right][snapback]69376[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking the same exact thing. Oh well, this thread has developed enough of its own life.

Quote:Please do tell me what you think about this, I want a confirmation that I'm not crazy!

As for your topic, I have never liked "pop" or "hip-hop" music, so this recent craze of radio is not for me. I also find myself listening to my CD's which consist mainly of 90's music (like you) and a few good oldies. I realized my trend to enjoy low-toned (perhaps classifyable as depressing or dark) music the best. In media however, everything travels in waves and this hip-hop craze will end in the future paving the way for what next? I just happpy listening to my CD's and the few "alternative" songs that get played on the radio.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I stopped listening to the radio once my rock station started mysteriously playing the dixie chicks. The only other one is in Charlotte, a good 2 hours from my house, and I get bad reception.

Recently, I've come across the best bass guitar player in the world, the best banjo player in the world, and a truly skilled saxophone player (though they are a dime a dozen nowadays) playing bluegrass/jazz etc... all consolidated into ONE band! The outcome is Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Bela is the banjo player, and he is literally insane on that thing. Victor Wooten is the bass player, and dear lord can he play. The sax player (don't know his name from memory, sorry) plays multiple notes at once, prompting my immediate respect and keeps up with Bela and Victor. There are other members, but definately overshadowed by the two guitarists.

My favorite songs are Victor's solos, because hearing a bass player hit overtones consistently is amazing. They include his version of Amazing Grace w/ improv and Norwegian Wood.

If you appreciate music at all, these guys are for you.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Funny, you stop listening to the radio because of country music and then reccommend a banjo virtuoso! :wacko:

The Flecktones are an excellent group though. Perhaps their music is the first thing that actually deserves to be called "world music", because Bela mixes so many influences, you aren't sure what you are listening to anymore. Yet it is surprisingly easy to like... not so boring and pretentious as much of contemporary jazz unfortunately seems to be. Having an all-star cast of insane musicians never hurts.

I don't think everyone would like it, but just about everyone would find something interesting about it. This clearly falls under the "hipster" category I was warning about earlier, however. :P
Nystul,Mar 6 2005, 07:50 PM Wrote:Funny, you stop listening to the radio because of country music and then reccommend a banjo virtuoso!  :wacko:
[right][snapback]69882[/snapback][/right]
Not quite completely because of the Dixie Chicks; my choices for radio are the mtv-type stations, rap, alternative rock, talk radio, a few AM spanish channels, classical, and country. I'm not into talk radio, classical is nice, but gets boring. Spanish channels come out too fuzzy due to AM. Rap: I dislike the newer songs, a few of them are very good, but most are just noise to me. We have about 5 Country stations (can anyone say North Carolina?) but I don't really like many of them, I dont even know why. MTV stations are the bane of all music if you ask me, I hate pop that is overplayed.
I really only have two stations--oldies and alternative. But neither play all the music I like. I enjoy jazz, punk, classical, oldies, metal, old rap, and a few others. Quite a wide variety, but I can't stand listening to the same thing for too long.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.