Tips for losing weight
My slightly obese older sister lost nearly 30 pounds in less than 6 months by giving up red meat, soda, and alchohol.
I'm new. I play Diablo II.
Define "slightly obese".

Congrats to her, if she can keep it off, but one case does not a reliable sample make.
~210 pounds at 5'7
I'm new. I play Diablo II.
teenagedeathboy,Feb 13 2005, 08:34 PM Wrote:... and alchohol.
[right][snapback]68015[/snapback][/right]

That brave, brave soul.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Remove alcohol from my diet, and you kill my social life. 99 out of 100 times I spend with my friends, alcohol is somehow involved. I'd rather kill myself than lose my social life; which, ironically, is presumably what I'm doing at the moment. (Just got back from the gym. 20 minutes running, 20 minutes rowing, 20 minutes bicycling. I'm beat!)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Feb 16 2005, Wrote:Remove alcohol from my diet, and you kill my social life. [right][snapback]68206[/snapback][/right]

:blink:

It is actually possible to have friends, go out and to parties without drinking alcohol. Imagine that!

It was VERY hard to do when I was around 17 (when you care a lot about what others think of you), but at 22 it really shouldn't be a problem. Let them drink alcohol if they want to, none of my friends have a problem when I drink water at parties or at a pub. If they had, they would be a poor choice of friends. I'm assuming your friends have the same quality, so try them on the "mandatory" alcohol thing.

btw, this is not in any way meant to be rude or arrogant towards you, I just think it's sad that a lot of people I know only drink alcohol because everyone else does and from your post it sounds as if you might be one of them (I was too before the age of 17).

Greetings

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I didn't start drinking until I was 21 (I was afraid I'd become an alcoholic :P), so I know all too well that it's perfectly acceptable to be in a crowd of heavy drinkers without drinking oneself.

It's just that I like the feeling of sitting around a table with friends, having fun talking and drinking. It's one of my every-day passions (not to be confused with "every day" :P), and in the spirit of "Carpe Diem" and "You only live once", there are just some things I am not willing to give up. If this means that I will never lose the 10lbs I want off my stomach, than so be it. It's something I will learn to live with.

(And NuurAbSaal; you sounded neither rude nor arrogant. Thank you for your reply!) :)

Sounds like you enjoy a drink once in a while because you enjoy it. Much better than drinking because you feel you have an obligation to do so ;) .

and you are very welcome :)

Cheers

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Despite the fact you love to drink alcohol you must remember that beer and the such has a lot of calories in them so, if you really are serious about losing weight, you must consider booze as a snack just like chocolate etc' and drink it accordingly.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
A good ol' party now and then has no impact on your weight if you work out regularly. It's the working out part that's crucial.
<norwegian reference>
Think about Erik Mykland, one of the all time best football players in Norway. The guy was smoking sigarettes and partying whenever he felt like, yet he was in better shape than I could ever hope to achieve.
</norwegian reference>
Of course, you'll see better - or rather, faster - results if you cut down on just about every joy in life (candy, soda, fast food, alcohol...) but where's the fun in that?
Hear hear!
I want to get in shape, but there's a limit to how many things I'm willing to sacrifice. I've gotten rid of the following items from my diet:

* Chocolate
* Candy
* Chips
* Salted nuts
* Soda ("pop" for you brits out there :P)
* Junk food (with the possible exception of the occasional serving of fries.)

From what I can see, my only untouched passion is alcohol and certain foods (taco, steak, lasagne). For once in a long time, I can finally answer "yes" when people ask me "do you eat healthy?". All I have to do now, is maximise my work-outs.

When I work out with my friends, they usually warm up for 5-10 minutes on a treadmill, row-machine, etc. Seeing as I'm focussing on losing weight, I've started running/cycling 20-25 minutes while my friends go over to lifting weights afterwards. Right now I've stagnated at exercising 3 days a week, but I imagine I'll be exercising more and more as the weather improves. My friends and I are planning to start playing football ("soccer") as soon as the frost clears, which is something we can do on our "off-days" from the gym.
pazuzu,Feb 23 2005, 03:35 PM Wrote:Of course, you'll see better - or rather, faster - results if you cut down on just about every joy in life (candy, soda, fast food, alcohol...) but where's the fun in that?
[right][snapback]68803[/snapback][/right]

Last time I checked, joy wasn't the sum of things you put into your stomach... :)
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Feb 23 2005, 05:14 PM Wrote:Last time I checked, joy wasn't the sum of things you put into your stomach... :)
[right][snapback]68825[/snapback][/right]
When did you last check? 1983? I'd check again :P

Seriously, for someone who lists "food" as one of his points of interests when registering on Internet boards (:P), it's a miracle I'm not more obese thanthis ;)