"Counterfeit" AMD CPUs discovered in Taiwan
X-bit labs has a story on this rather unsettling turn of events.
Quote:The scales of the illegal manufacturing were relatively high: according to the report the police seized nearly one million of AMD chips, either relabeled or not, with value measuring in hundreds of millions of Chinese Yuan. According to the report, the chips were primarily designated to ship into Southeast Asia.
:shuriken:
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
The general concept is nothing new (I guarantee that there are small computer shops in the U.S. doing the same thing), but the size of the operation is mindboggling.
That kind of thing really makes you want to check out your vendor before you buy. People without any scruples are in every part of the world and will swindle anyone for anything if they think they can get away with it.

One of my friends lived in Laos for several years and came back with a ridiculous number of DVDs. Some of them were probably legit, I bet most weren't. One in particular, Planet of the Apes (2001 version), was identical to one you could find in a store in America, right down to the artwork on the box and the cd itself. But if you tried to play it then it played the 1968 version.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Jan 5 2005, 01:49 AM Wrote:One in particular, Planet of the Apes (2001 version), was identical to one you could find in a store in America, right down to the artwork on the box and the cd itself.  But if you tried to play it then it played the 1968 version.
[right][snapback]64388[/snapback][/right]

I don't see the problem here. It sounds like you got an upgrade.
The article is so vague I feel more scared of the journalism involved than the chips. For the level of detail and confirmation they give, they could be selling delicious candy and calling it AMD chips.
My other mount is a Spiderdrake