Uh Oh! Metrication?
Ghostiger,Dec 19 2004, 12:03 PM Wrote:You have it backwards, my insulting poster.

He used cute and cliche, humerous barbs to give himself as cover to make yet another boring complaint against Americans choice of a President.
Im all for anyone, including Euros explaining their opinions on US politic. Of course I like most other American gennerally just ignore those people.

This is just a way to rip on the US Pres, but instead of giving an explaination which would turn people off, he gives a bunch of unrelated joke.
I dont think the issue is that, I am "ignorant". I think the issue is that you are a sucker.
[right][snapback]63150[/snapback][/right]

What an amazing you make in every post I read by you, with your grammatical and spelling errors all over the page. Not very convincing.
WWBBD?
Hi,

Doc,Dec 19 2004, 02:12 PM Wrote:So we take the "U" out of "color" but not out of "should" eh?
[right][snapback]63167[/snapback][/right]

Since I've never heard you, I don't know how you pronounce 'color' and 'should'. However, properly speaking the combination 'ou' should be a diphthong sliding from 'o' to 'u'. That sound *does* occur in 'should' and does not occur in 'color' -- at least as they are pronunced in standard American English (go to http://www.m-w.com and check out their pronunciation guides). Thus, the American spelling makes sense for the American pronunciation (as much as it ever does in English). And, frankly, I've never heard 'color' pronounced 'cul-owrd' in any of the British films or shows I've seen. I have heard 'honour' so pronounced.

Frankly Shaw was right, both as to the idiocy of English spelling (We put a 'b' in 'debt' because Julius Ceasar -- who, by the way spoke Latin -- would do so and 'ghoti') and to the similarities of American English and English English ("Two great nations seperated by a common language").

After having watched 'The Adventure of the English Language, 500AD to 2000' on the history channel, I've come to the conclusion that there is no *proper* English. Certainly not he unintelligeble gibberish spoken in most of the English hinterlands. :)

"If it ain't BBC, it ain't for me." ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Ghostiger,Dec 19 2004, 12:03 PM Wrote:This is just a way to rip on the US Pres, but instead of giving an explaination which would turn people off, he gives a bunch of unrelated joke.

You are reading the post entirely backwards. The piece is a funny commentary/criticism of the American Culture in comparison to the English Culture. The joke about Bush at the very beginning is quite obviously tacked on. The rest does not contain anything political, especially not anything political about the presidency.

This is not a farce to make fun of the President. This is a comic piece that some one attached a 1-sentence opinion as to our presidential choice to the beginning. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Moreover, you are making this a direct ‘rip’ on Europeans.

I advise taking things with a bit more humor. Remember in kindergarten when you are taught to respect other people’s opinions? People are allowed to think a candidate is a poor choice. If you do not like it, feel free to not read it. Even if this were a political work, I’d advise not being a vigilante about it. Bush is human, he has his flaws. It’s OK for people to poke fun from time to time. Not everyone will agree with every choice.

To quote you: “You have it backwards, my insulting poster.”

Cheers,

Munk
Pete,Dec 19 2004, 10:31 PM Wrote:Hi,
Since I've never heard you, I don't know how you pronounce 'color' and 'should'.  However, properly speaking the combination 'ou' should be a diphthong sliding from 'o' to 'u'.  That sound *does* occur in 'should' and does not occur in 'color' -- at least as they are pronunced in standard American English (go to http://www.m-w.com and check out their pronunciation guides).  Thus, the American spelling makes sense for the American pronunciation (as much as it ever does in English).  And, frankly, I've never heard 'color' pronounced 'cul-owrd' in any of the British films or shows I've seen.  I have heard 'honour' so pronounced.

Frankly Shaw was right, both as to the idiocy of English spelling (We put a 'b' in 'debt' because Julius Ceasar -- who, by the way spoke Latin -- would do so and 'ghoti') and to the similarities of American English and English English ("Two great nations seperated by a common language").

After having watched 'The Adventure of the English Language, 500AD to 2000' on the history channel, I've come to the conclusion that there is no *proper* English.  Certainly not he unintelligeble gibberish spoken in most of the English hinterlands. :)

"If it ain't BBC, it ain't for me."  ;)

--Pete
[right][snapback]63189[/snapback][/right]

You don't want to hear me. I type well enough, I don't speak English, I speak "Southern." I have a long slow drawl. Slow as moleasses in the dead of winter. Sadly, for me, I can make yellow and colour rhyme somehow... Yeller, keller. My words all slur into one another and outside of the Southern States, I usually need help so people can understand what ever it is I am trying to say. All Jeff Foxworthy jokes aside, people from my part of the world really do say things like "Dijyaeetyet?" while pointing to some greasy spoon diner. This is not a joke, and I really am being serious. When I went to Canada... People gathered around me just to hear me talk. And going to New York was traumatic, as they talk so damn fast and are in such a hurry that I can't make out one single word they are saying. Well, I could make out the profanity and obcenities laced in between every other word. For some reason they slow down when they drop an F-bomb. If England was to ever reclaim this country, I have no idea what they would do with the Southern States. Probably just leave us the hell alone as we aint folk that can be reasoned with and we eat things can could make the heartiest Brit's stomach turn. Kidney pie? Haggis? Bah. Never ask what's in a Cajun's dinner pot.

Where I come from, the Southern girls talk so slow... Before they can say "I am not that kind of girl" they are.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Chaerophon,Dec 20 2004, 11:46 AM Wrote:Curse those MSN language activists!  That being said, you have to respect their passion for the cause... ;)
[right][snapback]63176[/snapback][/right]
I wonder how many people you could irk by convincing Microsoft to add a 733t dictionary to their spellchecker? :whistling:
Interestingly, in a recent film I was shown in a class on Shakespeare, it was suggested that the dialects of the Southern U.S. come closest to approximating the sounds of Elizabethan English!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Dec 20 2004, 01:12 AM Wrote:Interestingly, in a recent film I was shown in a class on Shakespeare, it was suggested that the dialects of the Southern U.S. come closest to approximating the sounds of Elizabethan English!
[right][snapback]63200[/snapback][/right]

I think I've seen that. It was pretty interesting. I keep imaginating that the old English accent was similar to the drawl used by Val Kilmer in Tombstone. It makes me laugh.
Ghostiger,Dec 19 2004, 01:20 PM Wrote:We pretty much agree, but you said it politically.
[right][snapback]63158[/snapback][/right]

How nice that we agree, now and again. :)

Merry Christmas, Ghostiger. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Chaerophon,Dec 19 2004, 10:12 PM Wrote:Interestingly, in a recent film I was shown in a class on Shakespeare, it was suggested that the dialects of the Southern U.S. come closest to approximating the sounds of Elizabethan English!
[right][snapback]63200[/snapback][/right]
There is no such thing as a Southern accent. What there is is a bunch of different accents (and a few creoles) used in different parts of the South. The version that somewhat resembles Elizabethan English is the 'down home' accent of the back hollows of Appalachia, especially some of the regions in West Virginia down through the Carolinas. The langage used there is not considered a Southern dialect by most people in the United States when they hear it, but then again, until Chuck Yeager arrived on the scene, not many people had heard it. According to Tom Wolf (The Right Stuff) that relaxed and unruffled accent has become the official 'language' of pilots everywhere. And possibly of some aviators as well ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I would insult you if I wouldnt be banned for it.

You have the temerity to knock my spelling and grammer in a sentece where you make an error yourself. I admit I make many errors in my prose, but at least Im not so foolish as to belittle other people over faults I share in common with them.

I wish ill on you.

Yrrek,Dec 19 2004, 06:41 PM Wrote:What an amazing you make in every post I read by you, with your grammatical and spelling errors all over the page. Not very convincing.
[right][snapback]63180[/snapback][/right]
Who did I insult?

I have a low opinion of the piece and dont regret saying so. My original comments were clearly aimed at the quoted piece not the poster.

Also...

Its selfish to say, its ok for someone to display a political quote, but that its not ok for me to disagree with it(which is exactly what you did.)
I also never said anything good about Bush much less that he was flawless as you diengenously implied.

Grow up.

Ghostiger,Dec 20 2004, 03:42 PM Wrote:I wish ill on you.

Whoa there terminator! I don't think Yrrek was intending to come off with so much... bravado. But I'll let him clarify that for his own self.

Perhaps that sense of humor I mentioned in an earlier post would come in handy. I agree its rather ironic that some one would make the same fault they are criticizing some one for.

Though I do see some what of a difference between Yrreks err, and yours. For the most part Yrrek re-reads his post and clarifies mistakes (or at the very least makes few mistakes to begin with). On the other hand you admit your own errs are a regular occurance.
Quote:I admit I make many errors in my prose
Despite you offering a better point than most of 't3h l33t haxors' that everyone else criticizes on the Lounge for improper grammar, I still do not see this as an excuse for not editing.

There is a general standard on the Lounge when it comes to grammar. Shielding poor technique under a statement 'yeah, I make mistakes' is not(or at least has not been in the past) an excuse for lack of effort.

Cheers,

Munk
Edit: I'll bite my tongue and sit out from here on.

Cheers,

Munk
My grammar is terrible. Terrible says I.

I use poor sentence structure, ramble, and use these "..." a little to often, which is a no-no according to the Lounge rules. Not sure how my spelling is, I don't check it as often as I should... Why, I do not know. I am suprised that more people do not complain.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 20 2004, 03:21 PM Wrote:My grammar is terrible. Terrible says I.

I use poor sentence structure, ramble, and use these "..." a little to often, which is a no-no according to the Lounge rules. Not sure how my spelling is, I don't check it as often as I should... Why, I do not know. I am suprised that more people do not complain.
[right][snapback]63228[/snapback][/right]

Doc, while your prose may not meet the William F. Buckley standard for lucidity, it reads like a conversation. If it came off as simple carelessness, or unapologetic sloppiness, you might catch more flak.

Consider also the "error rate" metric.

In a two sentence post, one would expect to find a low error rate, while with some of the long winded stuff you post, or the hurricaine-force-winded tripe I post, an error rate of a few in a thousand does not stand out.

FWIW

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 20 2004, 05:37 PM Wrote:Doc, while your prose may not meet the William F. Buckley standard for lucidity, it reads like a conversation.  If it came off as simple carelessness, or unapologetic sloppiness, you might catch more flak. 

Consider also the "error rate" metric.

In a two sentence post, one would expect to find a low error rate, while with some of the long winded stuff you post, or the hurricaine-force-winded tripe I post, an error rate of a few in a thousand does not stand out.

FWIW

Occhi
[right][snapback]63231[/snapback][/right]

A sincere thank you then. Coming from you, that means something, because you are the sort of friend that will say the truth, even if it is unpleasant.

Have vastly improved my writing skills over the past few years. Mostly due to online communication.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Munkay,Dec 20 2004, 04:05 PM Wrote:Whoa there terminator! I don't think Yrrek was intending to come off with so much... bravado.  But I'll let him clarify that for his own self.

Perhaps that sense of humor I mentioned in an earlier post would come in handy. I agree its rather ironic that some one would make the same fault they are criticizing some one for.

Though I do see some what of a difference between Yrreks err, and yours.  For the most part Yrrek re-reads his post and clarifies mistakes (or at the very least makes few mistakes to begin with).  On the other hand you admit your own errs are a regular occurance. 

Despite you offering a better point than most of 't3h l33t haxors' that everyone else criticizes on the Lounge for improper grammar, I still do not see this as an excuse for not editing.

There is a general standard on the Lounge when it comes to grammar.  Shielding poor technique under a statement 'yeah, I make mistakes' is not(or at least has not been in the past) an excuse for lack of effort.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]63226[/snapback][/right]

Bah, Thank you Munkay. Rarely do I make mistakes while typing, and if I do I usually catch them. What a perfect time to miss one, eh? ;)
WWBBD?
Doc,Dec 20 2004, 07:38 PM Wrote:Have vastly improved my writing skills over the past few years. Mostly due to online communication.
[right][snapback]63236[/snapback][/right]

That is quite different from the norm! :)
WWBBD?
But, now I'll have to remember to read Doc's posts really slow, with a strong Southern accent. :)

Oh, and about the revocation (as if they gave it to us in the first place). They tried that in 1812, and I think that if they tried again, Doc and I would be shoulder to shoulder to press them on back again.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Doc,Dec 19 2004, 07:29 AM Wrote:... You will learn that the suffix 'burgh'
is pronounced 'burra' e.g. Edinburgh. You are welcome to respell Pittsburgh
as 'Pittsberg' if you can't cope with correct pronunciation.
Yes, indeed. Piss on the little historical fact that Pennsylvania's heritage consists of German and Dutch immigrants rather than that of an English heritage. After all, the United States is nothing more than a rabble of rebellious British colonies, no? No. We have more states bearing Latin and tribal American names than there are "New" bits of the old country.

Cultural myopia seems to cut both ways. Mind you, the British never owned most of the land that the current United States is composed of. If the English want their old haunts back, then let them keep the eastern seaboard. Rest of it, however, the English would not have rightful claim to.

By the by, I'd think it would have been more prudent to mention Pennslyvania's capital city as an example instead. Pittsburgh? Nah. Harrisburg. So-named in the German fashion (like Hamburg).

Quote: Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.
After all, you know it was you and me.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.