Uh Oh! Metrication?
kandrathe,Dec 20 2004, 09:34 PM Wrote:But, now I'll have to remember to read Doc's posts really slow, with a strong Southern accent.  :)

Oh, and about the revocation (as if they gave it to us in the first place).  They tried that in 1812, and I think that if they tried again, Doc and I would be shoulder to shoulder to press them on back again.
[right][snapback]63246[/snapback][/right]

Guns? Hell... We don't need to steenking guns... Just rally the dentists of this country together. We'll have America back in no time.

I don't fear the English. I wear a kilt. And as well know, the kilted kick the ass of the troosered all the time.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Yrrek,Dec 20 2004, 09:17 PM Wrote:That is quite different from the norm!  :)
[right][snapback]63244[/snapback][/right]

I do not wish to be mistaken for yet another common idiot, dolt, or moron while online. Tis insulting.

In other words...

U got ur boxxors roxxord dood!

I do not wish to get pwned.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Zarathustra,Dec 19 2004, 01:35 PM Wrote:<ot>
Occhi, a link for you.&nbsp; I've yet to order some to try, but a friend in California who shares my taste in beer swears by it.
</ot>
[right][snapback]63163[/snapback][/right]

It's worth it for the bottle alone. It's hilarious. I've had the beer, and it is pretty good, but the bottle is the best part. "You're not worthy" :lol:
Doc,Dec 19 2004, 02:51 PM Wrote:Stop that! If we take all the "U"s ot of or postings Bolty or Griselda is bond to ban me.
[right][snapback]63171[/snapback][/right]

Yo do realize that none of the admins have "u"'s in their names, don't yo?

-Griselda
"Lrker Longe Forms Moderatour"
Rhydderch Hael,Dec 20 2004, 10:27 PM Wrote:After all, you know it was you and me.
[right][snapback]63249[/snapback][/right]

Let me please introduce myself! :)
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Dec 20 2004, 11:30 PM Wrote:Let me please introduce myself!&nbsp; :)
[right][snapback]63255[/snapback][/right]

I'm a man of wealth and taste.

And I laid traps for the troubadors
Who got killed before they reached Bombay
(I am sure they went there for the gin.)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Griselda,Dec 21 2004, 12:24 AM Wrote:Yo do realize that none of the admins have "u"'s in their names, don't yo?

-Griselda
[right][snapback]63254[/snapback][/right]

Longing Lrker?
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,Dec 21 2004, 08:00 AM Wrote:I'm a man of wealth and taste.

And I laid traps for the troubadors
Who got killed before they reached Bombay
(I am sure they went there for the gin.)

Occhi
[right][snapback]63263[/snapback][/right]

"Stuck around St. Petersburg, when I thought it was a time for a change
Killed the czar and his ministers, Anastasia screamed in vain."

A fitting tribute to my great-grandpa....

-A
Griselda,Dec 21 2004, 05:24 AM Wrote:Yo do realize that none of the admins have "u"'s in their names, don't yo?

-Griselda
[right][snapback]63254[/snapback][/right]

:lol: Ah - you beat me to my own punchline , Griselda ! :lol:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Doc,Dec 20 2004, 10:06 PM Wrote:Guns? Hell... We don't need to steenking guns... Just rally the dentists of this country together. We'll have America back in no time.

I don't fear the English. I wear a kilt. And as well know, the kilted kick the ass of the troosered all the time.
[right][snapback]63251[/snapback][/right]

Nah, let them take away the independence. Than when U.S. peopel take over the british government thanks to our high population, we can change it around the way we like. :)
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
I'd just like to point out that aluminIum sounds better than aluminum(which is spoken much like having your mouth full), and keeps with the tradition of naming most metals -ium(notable exceptions being platinum, cuprum aka copper, and aurum aka gold. I can see myself pronouncing aurium, and probably cuprium but platinium would be a bit odd.) :lol:
AtomicKitKat,Dec 22 2004, 12:21 AM Wrote:I'd just like to point out that aluminIum sounds better than aluminum(which is spoken much like having your mouth full), and keeps with the tradition of naming most metals -ium(notable exceptions being platinum, cuprum aka copper, and aurum aka gold. I can see myself pronouncing aurium, and probably cuprium but platinium would be a bit odd.)&nbsp; :lol:
[right][snapback]63321[/snapback][/right]
"Minium" is an old Iberian word used to describe lead oxide. "Alumina" is the latin base for the word Aluminum.
Quote:But, in the case of "aluminum" , we can pin the whole mess on Sir Humphry Davy, the English chemist who discovered the stuff back in 1807. Indulging in the perversity of which historical figures seem fond, Davy named his discovery not "aluminum," nor even "aluminium," but "alumium," basing the term on the Latin "alumen," meaning "alum," a substance drawn from the same mineral that had been used since ancient times for dyeing hides and the like. This is all a bit confusing, but we can take comfort in the fact that Davy was apparently a bit befuddled too. Around 1812 he decided that the proper name of his discovery was not "alumium," but actually "aluminum." Almost immediately Davy was besieged by other scientists who pointed out that if Davy would just add an "i" to make the term "aluminium," it would fall into line with such other substance names as "sodium" and "calcium" and, in their words, "sound more classical." So Davy named it yet again, this time to "aluminium," and the "ium" form became standard in both the U.S. and Great Britain.

Unfortunately, many people in the U.S. had evidently stopped listening by that point and continued to call the stuff "aluminum," and this spelling became so widespread that it was eventually adopted as the standard in the U.S. "Aluminium," however, is the official spelling used by international chemical societies. One hopes that Sir Humphry Davy, wherever he may be, is at last happy.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

AtomicKitKat,Dec 21 2004, 10:21 PM Wrote:I'd just like to point out that aluminIum sounds better than aluminum(which is spoken much like having your mouth full), and keeps with the tradition of naming most metals -ium(notable exceptions being platinum, cuprum aka copper, and aurum aka gold. I can see myself pronouncing aurium, and probably cuprium but platinium would be a bit odd.)  :lol:
[right][snapback]63321[/snapback][/right]
So, to summarize, "-minium" sounds better (to your ear) than does "-minum", but "-tinium" worse than "-tinum". Interesting aural processing you have :)

As to ". . . keeps with the tradition of naming most metals -ium . . .", the operative word is 'most'. To follow tradition simply for the sake of tradition? "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I agree with most of these points.....with all of them actually. The world would be a better place.....although that left driving stuff is somewhat ackward.
The reason they stop every 20 seconds in american football is of course to give the spectatos the opportunity to get snacks and drinks during the game. For this reason Basketball and baseball are also popular...well anything with time-outs actually. I guess though that these kind of things limit fan violence.......
Happy new year to everybody.
At least aluminum and aluminium sound similar, unlike words like "lorry" and "truck", or "Torch" which means different things in both places, and is confusing when I see it in movies used in the different ways.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Dec 24 2004, 10:18 AM Wrote:At least aluminum and aluminium sound similar, unlike words like "lorry" and "truck", or "Torch" which means different things in both places, and is confusing when I see it in movies used in the different ways.
[right][snapback]63489[/snapback][/right]

And then there's that nagging frappe versus milkshake confusion, Boston to Virginia . . . or soda and pop, or the generic moniker of "coke" for any variety of canned, carbonated, flavored soft drink.

Stick to beer, of course, and all will be well. Or is that brew? Ale?

Hmmm, guess I'll see if we have any Bushmill's in the cabinet.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 24 2004, 06:47 PM Wrote:And then there's that nagging frappe versus milkshake confusion, Boston to Virginia . . . or soda and pop, or the generic moniker of "coke" for any variety of canned, carbonated, flavored soft drink.

Stick to beer, of course, and all will be well.&nbsp; Or is that brew?&nbsp; Ale?&nbsp;

Hmmm, guess I'll see if we have any Bushmill's in the cabinet.

Occhi
[right][snapback]63511[/snapback][/right]

At least I usually drink sprite or lemonade or fruit juices, which I think are the same everywhere.

whyBish,Dec 20 2004, 12:27 AM Wrote:I wonder how many people you could irk by convincing Microsoft to add a 733t dictionary to their spellchecker?&nbsp; :whistling:
[right][snapback]63198[/snapback][/right]

Hey, doesn't 733t translate to 'teet'? If you meant to spell teat, i.e. 734t, then I suppose a mammary-based dictionary would be a bit irking. ;)
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*