Another death of a legend.
I was pretty shocked by the whole thing myself. I was mostly surprised he got past security in the first place wearing shorts and a T-shirt with a gun in his pants.

Quote:I cried when Layne Staley passed on

I'll never forget when Kurt Cobain shot himself - supposedly - and my father comes up to me and says, "Son, now don't do anything stupid like kill yourself or anything." I thought that was the funniest thing I had ever heard him say before. I like Nirvana's music, but that fact that Kurt/Nirvana was dead meant nothing to me. Kurt wasn't a personal friend of mine; I didn't help create the music; I wasn’t involved financially; I just didn't care... And I guess even thou I was shocked about the ex-guitar player for Pantera getting shot, I also didn't care. The only musician I actually felt any twinge of sadness for when he died was Layne Staley. I loved the music produced by AIC and Laynes unique voice, but for me, I really connected with MOST of the lyrics in the music (don't ask) and it has significance for me because I listened to it often so when AIC songs played, I was reminded of a time I enjoyed. Strange I never felt that for any other musicians.

On another note however, I would have to agree that Vulgar Display of Power was Pantera's best work...
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Doc,Dec 10 2004, 05:35 PM Wrote:You know, it's better this way, for a rock star to die in some violent horrible death like a murder. It's all part and parcel of being a rock star. This is probably the best they could hope for. People will remember them as a musician, not some fat washed up doped up loser that chickened out and took their own life or overdosed and bought their way into the Dead Rock Stars Club.

He will be remembered for getting cut down in his prime, through no fault of his own. And people will argue and fuss for years to come on how good he could have been... Making him a legend that grows with time.

That's a whole lot better then being found dead with half a turd hanging out your arse on the toilet... Or being fat, dead, bloated, and stewing in your own sewage in a bath tub after you overdosed. Or growing old and becoming a joke like some of the geriatric rockers we have now.
[right][snapback]62522[/snapback][/right]

Interesting way to look at it Doc...better to go out in a blaze of glory than flicker out like a candle? What I do think is more of a problem is indeed the "geriatric" bands though. Hell, even Metallica is showing its age. I mean really, compare their first few albums and the swill they've been putting out lately (guitars are admiditly still amazing from a technical standpoint, though not as heavy as they once were. Lars is just a damn hack though)

I dunno...with the excesses of their youth when a band ages enough it just seems like they are not the same. And it's because they *arent.* It's a rare person that has the endurance at 50 that they had at 20 and their percieved image suffers. Old-time fans watch the steady decline while kids just see them as a bunch of tired old fogeys.

Maybe the best option, well the best without unnesicary murder, would be for these bands to see when they have already peaked and bow out gracefully. But that has to be one of the most difficult things for anyone to do...to see that what your doing is just a shell of former greatness.

A shame really...that things are the way they are.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
MEAT,Dec 12 2004, 04:30 AM Wrote:I was pretty shocked by the whole thing myself.  I was mostly surprised he got past security in the first place wearing shorts and a T-shirt with a gun in his pants.

Many local shows don't pat down people on the way in. I've attended many hardcore shows (by bands like converge, saetia, cave-in, daughters, as the sun sets, american nightmare... basically lots of bands 'tougher' than Pantera) with some rough crowds. The larger venues that double as night clubs can afford a staff capable of patting down people. But most places can not. The problem is venues (under 2,000 people) make make little to no profit off live music shows, and subsequently the staff to running the shows are always a bare bones skeleton crew. In a scene where its a constant battle of making ticket prices low enough to get people to attend, but making it enough to break even, the idea of 'good security' is almost laughable.

Cheers,

Munk
Roland,Dec 9 2004, 09:59 PM Wrote:I don't suppose I'll see too many people who will even bat an eyelash at this, but I just had to say something. Last night, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbot was shot and killed last night in a club. ...
From Blizzard concept artist Samwise Didier at "Sons of the Storm":

[Image: RIPDIME.jpg]
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller