The Matrix: Ripped Off
Ran across this story on the front page of Penny Arcade today, and I was fairly surprised I'd not heard of it in the past. Considering the amount of money the trilogy has made (the article cites it as 2.5 billion dollars), one would think there'd at least be a BIT out there in the media.

Any thoughts?
See you in Town,
-Z
I think my longstanding practice of reading the future in sheep viscera and my continued schooling in the art of raedesthetic divination is paying off, because I knew this tale long beforehand.

If you know of a better way to get the news, don't bother trying to convince me of it!
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Not actually a reply to your post but a question about your sig. Have you always had Mystery Science Theater 3000 there and I'm just noticing it now?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I saw this story on another forum and a comment was made that this is why the 2nd and 3rd movies sucked. They didn't have any more story to steal so they had to stretch it to fill 2 more movies. :lol:

edit: I didn't know she was claiming credit for the Terminator series too.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:Some fans, are unaware of the case or they question its legitimacy, due to the fact that it has received little to no media coverage.

That's some quality reporting right there! The internet needs more editors.

edit:
Quote:I saw this story on another forum and a comment was made that this is why the 2nd and 3rd movies sucked.

I agree that the 2nd movie sucked, but the 3rd movie was pretty awesome.
Zarathustra,Dec 6 2004, 11:32 PM Wrote:Ran across this story on the front page of Penny Arcade today, and I was fairly surprised I'd not heard of it in the past.  Considering the amount of money the trilogy has made (the article cites it as 2.5 billion dollars), one would think there'd at least be a BIT out there in the media.

Any thoughts?
[right][snapback]62095[/snapback][/right]

Every so often, I just sit back and admire the turn of phrase those lads use.

I pictured myself behind enemy lines, pulling frothy cups of coffee, drawing the bolt back in a smooth action to eject the spent grounds.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 7 2004, 05:51 AM Wrote:I pictured myself behind enemy lines, pulling frothy cups of coffee, drawing the bolt back in a smooth action to eject the spent grounds. 
[right][snapback]62125[/snapback][/right]
:lol: :lol:

Great one Occhi, mind if I pass that one on to my upper NCO's? Most of them seem to think a coffee cup must be a visible part of your uniform, even in the field.

So there I was, knee deep in grenade pins, when... That's currently the accepted lead in to retelling a story we think is questionable.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Dec 7 2004, 10:37 AM Wrote::lol:  :lol:

Great one Occhi, mind if I pass that one on to my upper NCO's?  Most of them seem to think a coffee cup must be a visible part of your uniform, even in the field.
So there I was, knee deep in grenade pins, when...  That's currently the accepted lead in to retelling a story we think is questionable.
[right][snapback]62132[/snapback][/right]

I'd like to take credit, but that was excerpted from the PA article by Gabe. If he don't mind, I sure don't!

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Wow, simply amazing. Thanks for the link Zara. I'm happy for Sophia Stewart that after 6 years she finally got her just rewards. Very, very interesting indeed.

It's kinda odd how she gets a payoff for the Terminator movies as well and yet it doesn't really explain why since they just focus on The Matrix.

Quote:I agree that the 2nd movie sucked, but the 3rd movie was pretty awesome.

Sweet Jeebus Dee, the third movie was just plain horrible. At least the second movie had a couple cool fights scenes (if no sensible plot), but the third was completely devoid of any good fights or plot.

On a side note, I wonder how this will affect the sales of 'The Ultimate Matrix Collection'. If this gets more press than it has currently, I could see quite a lot of people feeling betrayed. The triumphant finale for The Matrix, as this DVD set was supposed to be, could be anything but that.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Dec 7 2004, 05:02 PM Wrote:At least the second movie had a couple cool fights scenes (if no sensible plot), but the third was completely devoid of any good fights or plot.
[right][snapback]62151[/snapback][/right]

I liked the giant fighting robot suits :(
Mithrandir,Dec 7 2004, 02:02 PM Wrote:Sweet Jeebus Dee, the third movie was just plain horrible. At least the second movie had a couple cool fights scenes (if no sensible plot), but the third was completely devoid of any good fights or plot.
[right][snapback]62151[/snapback][/right]

Yep. The trilogy went from great to bleh to aweful. The more they got away from the VR world, the worst it got... both as far as for the characters in the movie and the audience in the movie theater.

-A
If you can find a copy of the old Shadowrun sourcebook "Virtual Realities" there is a short story named "Renny and the House on the Edge of the Matrix."

Quite a good story and the Matrix in this story is not the same as the one in the films.
The Bill of No Rights
LochnarITB,Dec 6 2004, 11:43 PM Wrote:Not actually a reply to your post but a question about your sig.  Have you always had Mystery Science Theater 3000 there and I'm just noticing it now?
[right][snapback]62098[/snapback][/right]

Nah, that's a fairly recent addition.
See you in Town,
-Z
DeeBye,Dec 7 2004, 03:37 PM Wrote:I liked the giant fighting robot suits  :(
[right][snapback]62153[/snapback][/right]

Sort of a cross between a starcraft Goliath and an SCV. I liked it well enough, however, the endless streams of flying robotic zergs was, in a word, cliche.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 8 2004, 09:35 AM Wrote:Sort of a cross between a starcraft Goliath and an SCV.  I liked it well enough, however, the endless streams of flying robotic zergs was, in a word, cliche.

Occhi
[right][snapback]62192[/snapback][/right]

Goliaths were the only reason I ever played Terran. How can anyone compete against a mech that looks that cool?

Of course, everyone knows Protoss were the coolest race ever devised.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Dec 8 2004, 10:40 AM Wrote:Goliaths were the only reason I ever played Terran.  How can anyone compete against a mech that looks that cool?

Of course, everyone knows Protoss were the coolest race ever devised.
[right][snapback]62206[/snapback][/right]

At the least they were a lot prettier than the Zerg, with the exception of their exotically beautiful queen . . . bad hair day, anyone?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 8 2004, 04:25 PM Wrote:At the least they were a lot prettier than the Zerg, with the exception of their exotically beautiful queen . . . bad hair day, anyone?

Occhi
[right][snapback]62230[/snapback][/right]

The zerg had the coolest ideas in my opinion, though. I like the ideas for creep and the living buildings.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Mithrandir,Dec 7 2004, 03:02 PM Wrote:Wow, simply amazing. Thanks for the link Zara. I'm happy for Sophia Stewart that after 6 years she finally got her just rewards. Very, very interesting indeed.

It's kinda odd how she gets a payoff for the Terminator movies as well and yet it doesn't really explain why since they just focus on The Matrix.
Sweet Jeebus Dee, the third movie was just plain horrible. At least the second movie had a couple cool fights scenes (if no sensible plot), but the third was completely devoid of any good fights or plot.

I liked both of them just fine. The story worked and the action was pretty cool. I especially liked the ceiling walker battle at the coat check area.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)