Hollywood and silliness
Medicine Man,Nov 12 2004, 12:30 PM Wrote:... KB2 also has the signature odd humor and stylish violence of its predessesor, though not as high a body count (how could it?).
Funny thing is, the body count of the first movie isn't as high as one is led to believe— given what Bill says to Budd about the Crazy 88 at the start of the second movie.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Occhidiangela,Nov 12 2004, 04:36 PM Wrote:PS:  Just saw Bourne Supremacy.  Bourne Identity and Supremacy, taken together, are the best treatments of Ludlum on the screen that I have seen to date.  Mrs Occhi and I enjoyed it, and it was only a dollar at the local dollar movie!

Sounds like you paid what it was worth. Not because the plot or the acting were lacking (they weren't) but because of the GODDAMN "BLAIR WITCH" CAMERA WORK. Ahem. Leave the action to Mr. Damon, please, and keep your freakin camera crew on a leash.

...otherwise, yes. Good thriller flicks.
Robots *will* kill you.
Pop Squid,Nov 12 2004, 04:22 PM Wrote:Sounds like you paid what it was worth.  Not because the plot or the acting were lacking (they weren't) but because of the GODDAMN "BLAIR WITCH" CAMERA WORK.  Ahem.  Leave the action to Mr. Damon, please, and keep your freakin camera crew on a leash.

...otherwise, yes.  Good thriller flicks.
[right][snapback]60062[/snapback][/right]

Any of you guys seen Minority report? It can out the same year as Bourne Identity, so I'd just figure I'd mention it. I like it alot.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Pop Squid,Nov 11 2004, 09:04 PM Wrote:The Incredibles was a hoot.  If you haven't seen it, just go.  'Twas really, truly entertaining for the whole Squid family.  My favorite bit: when the kid on the tricycle gets to say "THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!!"  (He wasn't my favorite character, tho... that honor belongs unquestionably to Edna, dahling.)

Voices provided by Holly Hunter, Wallace Shawn, Samuel L. Jackson, Jason Lee and other perfectly-cast folks.
[right][snapback]59990[/snapback][/right]

Indeed. In my opinion, The Incredibles is the best superhero movie to date. There's simply so many things they could do with CGI characters that would be impossible with real actors.

One thing that really stood out for me was the CGI quality. The characters looked amazing (Violet's hair in particular) and their facial expressions were just outstanding. And some of the outdoor shots looked almost photorealistic.

I'm rooting for a sequel (or heck, a franchise) personally.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Pop Squid,Nov 12 2004, 04:22 PM Wrote:Sounds like you paid what it was worth.  Not because the plot or the acting were lacking (they weren't) but because of the GODDAMN "BLAIR WITCH" CAMERA WORK.  Ahem.  Leave the action to Mr. Damon, please, and keep your freakin camera crew on a leash.
...otherwise, yes.  Good thriller flicks.
[right][snapback]60062[/snapback][/right]

Interesting, that was almost exactly what the Missus said: the camera work detracted from the film. My only frowny face was that, as usual, the car chase was too long. I also would have liked to have seen a little more development of the end game, with his conversation with the young Russian girl. That scene seemed to me to have been abruptly terminated.

As to the flash backs appearing as they did, I thought it was an OK way to represent the flashes of memory trying to emerge, however, there can be "too much of a good thing." :rolleyes:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Minionman,Nov 12 2004, 05:59 PM Wrote:Any of you guys seen Minority report? It can out the same year as Bourne Identity, so I'd just figure I'd mention it.  I like it alot.
[right][snapback]60069[/snapback][/right]

It was a decent movie, but like all the other Phillip K. Dick translations I've seen (Screamers, Total Recall, and I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting at the moment) it is inferior to the short story it was based on in my opinion.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Occhidiangela,Nov 12 2004, 09:36 PM Wrote:PS:  Just saw Bourne Supremacy.  Bourne Identity and Supremacy, taken together, are the best treatments of Ludlum on the screen that I have seen to date.  Mrs Occhi and I enjoyed it, and it was only a dollar at the local dollar movie!
[right][snapback]60059[/snapback][/right]

Both good movies. One thing I really appreciated about the first movie was Franke Potente's realistic performance, particularly during the tense and dangerous moments. When confronted with awful situations she first froze up, and then was either confused, nauseous or in shock. A welcome change from the shrieking historonics common in other movies (ala. the Transporter).

I have a question about Bourne Supremacy: did you find the camera work in that movie difficult to follow? Sitting just in the front half of the theatre, I found it very hard to follow the action sequences -- and slightly nausea inducing besides.
Rhydderch Hael,Nov 12 2004, 09:49 PM Wrote:Funny thing is, the body count of the first movie isn't as high as one is led to believe— given what Bill says to Budd about the Crazy 88 at the start of the second movie.
[right][snapback]60060[/snapback][/right]

Ha ha -- kinda spliting hairs there. Ok, so she didn't kill all those nice men in masks, just hurt them real real bad. You are probably right though, given the line of people crawling out the door at the end of the big melee.

I'll restate my opinion: There is less carnage in the second movie. Better? :)
Medicine Man,Nov 12 2004, 07:22 PM Wrote:Ha ha -- kinda spliting hairs there. Ok, so she didn't kill all those nice men in masks, just hurt them real real bad. You are probably right though, given the line of people crawling out the door at the end of the big melee.

I'll restate my opinion: There is less carnage in the second movie. Better?  :)
[right][snapback]60095[/snapback][/right]
I wasn't talking about the fact that many of the Crazy 88 survived (although becoming instant qualifiers for handicap parking placards). I was talking about one little thing that was said when Bill went to see Budd in his trailer.

"Are you telling me that she cut through eighty-eight bodyguards before getting to O-Ren? ..."
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Minionman,Nov 12 2004, 04:59 PM Wrote:Any of you guys seen Minority report? It can out the same year as Bourne Identity, so I'd just figure I'd mention it.  I like it alot.
[right][snapback]60069[/snapback][/right]

Other than the premise of the story being nonsensical in terms of police work, it was good enough for the Missus to take me out to the Dollar Movie. Last year or so, not one I'd want to see twice.

Good enough, not great.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete