College
Hello All,

I was excited, and thought I should let me second family know: I got accepted into college! So next year I will be attending Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont! Ahh, I feel great! :) :D
WWBBD?
Yrrek,

Congratulations on your achievement. Two of my second cousins spent time in said institute of higher learning and they loved it. Plus I don't think there is a nicer city in the East than Burlington.

Scotty
'Me not that kind of Orc' - lazy peon
Congratulations :)
Congratulations. You'll be embarking on some of the most interesting years of your life -- may they be enjoyable.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Beer and college girls! Have fun!
Congratulations!

Is it difficult getting into colleges in America? I know the quality of colleges/universities vary. Harvard, Wesleyan, Berkely, Columbia, Yale are names I recall as being top-dollar schools. What's it like studying in America? Is it expensive; is there a lot of competition between schools?

In Norway it's very easy to get in. All you have to do is finish high school with non-crappy grades, and you go on to higher education easy as pie. (Or is that "pi"? I never was much of a math-wiz.)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Hm, it depends on where you want to go on how difficult it is to get in. I did not have much trouble getting in, but I have fairly decent grades and ACT scores etc. I have a 3.5 GPA and I scored a 27 on the ACT. I also have been earning dual credit for college and highschool while still in highschool, so I will essentially be going to college starting in my second year. But for the most part, it is fairly easy to get into a college.

Again, costs will vary greatly depending on the area of the country, and then whether it is a private college, or a state college. I will be attending a small liberal-arts school in northern Vermont. Tuition is $23K/year and that is a flat rate, no in-state or out-state tuition. I am also applying for a 4-year Army ROTC scholarship, and I have finished the application process, but I won't find out until February when they do the next round of offers if I will be offered a scholarship or not.

Thanks everyone! :)
WWBBD?
Congrats. What are you going to be majoring in? Remember, B33r and girlz may be fun, but schoolwork always comes first (or maybe that's just me talking like an engineer :-/).
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Speaking of colleges and university. The college where I go was upgraded to university status tonight! I am now a university scholar! Weeeeeeee. Feels good to be part of history.

Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Pakman, I will be majoring in Computer Networking. I am working on my CCNA right now, and also Server+. I already have A+ and Network+. I don't drink, so that solves that problem. But the girls.... :D
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Oct 29 2004, 02:27 PM Wrote:Again, costs will vary greatly depending on the area of the country, and then whether it is a private college, or a state college. I will be attending a small liberal-arts school in northern Vermont. Tuition is $23K/year and that is a flat rate, no in-state or out-state tuition.
[right][snapback]58596[/snapback][/right]

Yay for tiny private liberal arts colleges/universities!

I will be graduating in May (God willin' and the crik don't rise) from here.

Tiny schools are much better, IMO. Just today, I drove down to Virginia Tech to pick up a friend of mine who transferred there from Hollins in August. Made me feel rather insignificant. Hollins' entire campus could be dropped on Tech's main quad and still have room. And the people! 20K+ students compared to the 1K students/faculty/staff/administration of Hollins.

Good for you, getting such a focused education. ^_^
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Yrrek,Oct 29 2004, 06:52 PM Wrote:Pakman, I will be majoring in Computer Networking. I am working on my CCNA right now, and also Server+. I already have A+ and Network+. I don't drink, so that solves that problem. But the girls.... :D
[right][snapback]58641[/snapback][/right]

Interesting, that is also what I'm majoring: Computer Networking Engineer. I'm only going to get an AA in it before I go to the job I want and they (my job) will pay for my continuing education :D , according to their web-site.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Oct 30 2004, 06:00 AM Wrote:Interesting, that is also what I'm majoring: Computer Networking Engineer.  I'm only going to get an AA in it before I go to the job I want and they (my job) will pay for my continuing education :D , according to their web-site.
[right][snapback]58653[/snapback][/right]

That is pretty cool! What school?

Duckula: Yes, I definately prefer the small school atmosphere! I like having a good relationship with my teachers that way I know I can go to them for help whenever I need it. :)
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Oct 30 2004, 02:27 PM Wrote:That is pretty cool! What school?
[right][snapback]58681[/snapback][/right]

I'll be taking my classes at my local SB city college. I was considering getting my IGETC and transferring out to UCSB for a four-year degree, but for the job I'm taking, this is all I need and they will pay for my further education for advancement.

http://www.sbcc.edu/apply/files/aa_as/compnet.pdf
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Looks like a cool program! I am in the CCNA courses right now. We are working on router configs, it isn't that bad really. Switches are the ones that are suposed to suck. I'll find out next semester and let you know! :)
WWBBD?
Just don't be like me and skip four weeks of classes and not care. Apathy is expensive.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Yrrek,Oct 28 2004, 06:59 PM Wrote:Hello All,

I was excited, and thought I should let me second family know: I got accepted into college! So next year I will be attending Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont! Ahh, I feel great!  :)  :D
[right][snapback]58533[/snapback][/right]

I've just sent an application in and am now really nervous about whether it was done right and whether I'll get in or not.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Nov 1 2004, 08:37 PM Wrote:I've just sent an application in and am now really nervous about whether it was done right and whether I'll get in or not.
[right][snapback]58880[/snapback][/right]

To what college?

Good luck! :)
WWBBD?
Count Duckula,Oct 30 2004, 02:00 AM Wrote:Tiny schools are much better, IMO. Just today, I drove down to Virginia Tech to pick up a friend of mine who transferred there from Hollins in August. Made me feel rather insignificant. Hollins' entire campus could be dropped on Tech's main quad and still have room. And the people! 20K+ students compared to the 1K students/faculty/staff/administration of Hollins.
[right][snapback]58647[/snapback][/right]

I love the atmosphere on a big campus. My professors have been excellent and easily accessible, for the most part. There's *always* something you can find to do, from listening to talks to going to meetings to playing in large multi-bracket IM sports, etc.

It's also only difficult to find a party on Sundays as well, of course :)
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Yrrek,Nov 1 2004, 07:40 PM Wrote:To what college?

Good luck! :)
[right][snapback]58883[/snapback][/right]

University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana for chemical engineering. It's my first one and I got in in quickly since I heard the programs fill up fast. I really hate filling out forms, it gets me really nervous for some reason. Later I get to do Rensselear Polytechnic and Harvey Mudd.

As for big schools vs. small schools, that i'm not really worried either way. I go to a small school for high school, and all the colleges are bigger by a lot that I'm applying to, so it looks pretty similar to me. I'd rather go to a bigger place because of more stuff going on, but even the smaller places seem to have things happening that I looked at.

Edited to Champaign-Urbana so less chance of getting mixed up with University of Illinois Chicago. A tiny nit. They are two different places, I don't know anything about Chicago.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)