Favorite Movies
Hi,

(06-10-2010, 10:49 PM)LavCat Wrote: Dracula was a book that after reading I could not want to watch the movie!

I know what you mean, but don't worry. None of the Dracula movies have the impact that the book does.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(06-11-2010, 01:29 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

(06-10-2010, 10:49 PM)LavCat Wrote: Dracula was a book that after reading I could not want to watch the movie!

I know what you mean, but don't worry. None of the Dracula movies have the impact that the book does.

--Pete

Shame on me, I have never read the book Sad. When given the choice of book vs. movie, I always go with the book, but it had eluded me until Coppola's film was in theaters and, loving the movie (oh the colors! Oh Gary Oldman!), I was planning on reading the book soon™. Never got around to it of course.

I guess I should, though Smile.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(06-10-2010, 04:48 PM)--Pete Wrote: Why was this necessary? The two are nowhere near comparable. I have, very often, set a book aside after a chapter. You're born, you will die. All you will ever have is the time between those two events. Why waste any of it on something that you find boring on the chance that eventually it will become interesting?
--Pete

Pete, thank you so much for this reminder! I really needed it Staying up too late, getting up too early, other behaviors that are just stupid patterns that lead to boredom and iertia (sp?) for me.

It's troubling. I woke up thinking about it today and here you were!

Thank you, Friend. I'll take that bitch slap. I really need it.

P.S. You would have been so proud had you been online to hear Bolty, Tal and other Lurkers extolling Magi's praises last night. She is loved. So are you!
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Hi,

(06-11-2010, 02:35 PM)Sabra Wrote: Thank you, Friend. I'll take that bitch slap. I really need it.

Please, it was meant as a gentle poke. Smile

Quote:She is loved.

That I can believe.

Quote:So are you!

That . . . well, let's just say it strains the imagination. Tongue

--Pete

I watched The Road recently. I had to pause it close to the end because I was afraid I might cry. That is a very powerful movie.
(06-12-2010, 04:45 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I watched The Road recently. I had to pause it close to the end because I was afraid I might cry. That is a very powerful movie.

Dee, I read that book a few years back and just couldn't imagine how it could be made into a film. When it didn't do well at the box office, I wondered whether they failed or succeeded.

Glad to hear it was the latter.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Hi,

Why does every recent historical film have to be a romance?

Earlier today I caught a few minutes of Pearl Harbor. Near as I could tell, it was somewhere in the middle. While there was a scene or two that actually seemed to be related to the attack that got the USA into WW II, most of what I saw had to do with two guys and one woman. Something about one of them thought to be dead but surviving, and the other going after his gal.

Has this joined the happy ending as a requirement for modern films? I seem to be seeing it a lot.

--Pete

(06-13-2010, 04:55 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

Why does every recent historical film have to be a romance?

Earlier today I caught a few minutes of Pearl Harbor. Near as I could tell, it was somewhere in the middle. While there was a scene or two that actually seemed to be related to the attack that got the USA into WW II, most of what I saw had to do with two guys and one woman. Something about one of them thought to be dead but surviving, and the other going after his gal.

Has this joined the happy ending as a requirement for modern films? I seem to be seeing it a lot.

--Pete

Hi, Smile

When you get past the love story [aprox; 1 hour] the attack on Pearl Harbor is worth watching, lots of digital eye candy.

Post #45 this thread Tongue

Jim Wrote:
How about TORA TORA TORA & Midway, since I see you like combat movies.

kandrathe Wrote:
They are ok. I like Midway better than Tora, Tora, Tora. I find them both a bit tedious for the same reasons. The subplot in Midway of the pilot's interred Japanese girlfriend was stilted, and jammed into an otherwise mostly documentary film. I think they over did the cluelessness and bungling on the Japanese side.

Jim Wrote: I agree the love story in both Midway & Pearl Harbor (2001) ruined these movies.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
(10-10-2004, 09:10 PM)Guest Wrote: What are some of your favorite movies? Please help I need entertainment...

Two good, and very different, movies:

Dr. Strangelove
Agatha and the Storm (Agata e la Tempesta)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Hi,

Just finished Quest for Fire. I'd seen it and loved it when it first came out. It hasn't lost a bit of its appeal for me. I realize that a fair bit of the 'science' was off, but it was based on a 1911 (?) story. I loved the development of the characters, their responses to the challenges that can't meet with a club or spear, their willingness to continue.

Highly recommended and available for streaming on NetFlix.

--Pete

(06-26-2010, 01:03 AM)--Pete Wrote: Quest for Fire

Off topic, but...

I loved that I knew two of the locations for that movie. Their cave home and the home of the cave bear are at Greig's Caves*, on the Bruce Peninsula. And the swamp the clan retreats to after losing their fire is the aptly named nearby Slough of Despond.

*DeeBye, take your boy there someday. Neat place for a kid to scramble around and feel like an explorer!
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

(06-28-2010, 04:20 PM)queenofhearts Wrote: Angel My Favorite Movies Are

1. Nightmare On Elm Street
2. Friday The 13 th
3. Halloween
4. Carrie
Just to name a few.

I guess you're into comedies?
My favourites in no particular order
Water
Mirrormask
Amelie
Silence of the Lambs
A Tale of Two Sisters
High Fidelity
Spirited Away
In return for watching Sauna, my child (who seldom hangs out here anymore) wanted me to see Ink. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but Ink is a movie I would recommend. The plot of Ink is reasonably straightforward, and can best be described as Terokk meets the Matrix in the Caverns of Time. Maybe more Anzu than Terokk, if non-druids know much about the Emerald Dream.

Interesting how the movie handles different timelines and dimensions. Neat weapons and technology. From the extras on the disc I learned the lead actress fell asleep during her big scene.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
The Mad Adventures of Rabbi Jacob -- A very very funny comedy, French movie
Groundhog Day -- Bill Murray
Vantage Point -- tells the story of a political assassination told from the viewpoint of several different people
The Sting -- A classic movie about a big con
The Gods Must Be Crazy -- wonderful funny film - takes place in Africa. There is an equally good sequel
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Oh. I forgot a few.
Umbrellas of Cherbourg -- a French film, very romantic, very colorful, all of the dialogue is sung, great date movie
Nueve Reinas (Nine Queens) -- from Argentina, another movie about a con
Z -- directed by Costa-Gavras, probably any of his movies are good
Dodes'ka-den -- Akira Kurosawa, no samurai warriors in this one, it tells the stories of a number of slum dwellers in Tokyo.

More will come to me later.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(06-12-2010, 04:45 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I watched The Road recently. I had to pause it close to the end because I was afraid I might cry. That is a very powerful movie.

Yeah I made the mistake of watching the road while going through a separation and damn near had a nervous breakdown.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee

Speaking of the "read the book"/"see the movie" question, try that one: a very quick read because of the short sentance style that McCarthy uses. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm interested to see if it has all of the moments I remember including: "why are you filling the bathtub?"

edit:

(06-12-2010, 12:09 PM)Sabra Wrote: Dee, I read that book a few years back and just couldn't imagine how it could be made into a film. When it didn't do well at the box office, I wondered whether they failed or succeeded.

Glad to hear it was the latter.
Yeah, okay, next time I'll read a post or two down to see if someone else has already said what I wanted to. Sorry for the redundancy...
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Saw "Moon" the other night. Strange film, but thought-provoking. I liked it, but not so much for entertainment's sake. The emotional impact 2/3rds into the movie was worth it for me.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
(10-27-2010, 09:20 PM)[wcip]Angel Wrote: Saw "Moon" the other night. Strange film, but thought-provoking. I liked it, but not so much for entertainment's sake. The emotional impact 2/3rds into the movie was worth it for me.
I liked the movie a lot. It basically has only one single actor, and I liked his performance. The movie itself was kind of old-school sci-fi and different from other modern sci-fi movies, which was nice. The underlying theme isn't really new, but was presented well IMHO.
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider