Favorite Movies
So my netflix que (that isn't spelled right how do you spell that...) is running low, right I don't know any more good movies. What are some of your favorite movies? Please help I need entertainment...
unrealshadow13,Oct 10 2004, 05:10 PM Wrote:So my netflix que (that isn't spelled right how do you spell that...) is running low, right I don't know any more good movies. What are some of your favorite movies? Please help I need entertainment...
[right][snapback]57382[/snapback][/right]
So I Married an Axe Murderer always makes me laugh.
I'm sure I'll think of many more after I click the submit button, but here's a random list...

Shawshank Redemption
Army of Darkness
The Crow
Fargo
Falling Down
The Big Lebowski
Saving Private Ryan
The Princess Bride
The Goonies
Batman
Indiana Jones Series
Reservoir Dogs
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Boondock Saints
The Blues Brothers
Animal House
The Shining (made-for-tv version)
Young Frankenstein
Sleepy Hollow
Ghostbusters
Gladiator
Spaceballs
Platoon

Like I said, I'm sure to think of more later, but those sprang to mind.
See you in Town,
-Z
Lemme see...

2001: A Space Odyssee
A Clockwork Orange
History of the World Part One
The Life of Brian
Night of the Living Dead
Spirited Away
Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke)
Clerks
When Harry Met Sally

Quite a few others, but I cant remember them all at the moment ^_^
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
All three matrix movies
rush hour movies
Three Kings
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Mission Impossible movies
Minority Report
Sum of all Fears
Hunt for Red October
Naked gun movies 1 and 2 1/2
Memento
Ocean's 11
Star wars movies
the 1st and 2nd Lord of the Rings movies

Edit: the fancy word for line is spelled "queue"
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
A lot of good movies listed already so I'll just add a couple:

Heavy Metal (1981 not 2000 - loved the music and it's the source of my handle)
Legend (music again - beware TomCruise-a-phobes but Mia Sara (the dark version) is pretty tasty)
Electric Dreams (music also - began my lifelong lust for Virginia Madsen)
Live and Let Die (my first Bond in a theater - Rosie Carver is still my favorite bond girl ever - oh yeah, not to be left out, music, the theme anyway)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Some of memorable movies I've seen recently:

Donnie Darko
Memento
Fight Club
Being John Malkovich(must see)
Amelie(french)
The Dinner Game(french comedy)

Finding Nemo
Hmmm.

The Day the Earth Stood Still
Dune (the three hour version is the best I've seen so far)
Stargate
Star Wars: A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi
Star Trek: Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, Nemesis
Independence Day
Matrix
any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie except Junior
almost any Clint Eastwood movie
Enter the Dragon
Quigley Down Under
Tombstone
Seven
Hunt for Red October
Blade Runner
Alien I, II and Resurrection
Predator I & II

That's all I can think of at this hour. After seeing it several times, it finally dawned on me that Chancellor Gorkon in Undiscovered Country is played by the same David Warner that did my favorite bad guy in the Bioware/Black Isle games: Jon Irenicus. Weee. "You *will* suffer! You will *all* suffer!"
Indiana Jones
Star Wars (you know, the real ones)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Pirates of the Caribbean
Lord of the Rings
Men in Black
Grease (remain silent on pain of death)
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Superman and Superman II

;_;
unrealshadow13,Oct 10 2004, 09:10 PM Wrote:So my netflix que (that isn't spelled right how do you spell that...) is running low, right I don't know any more good movies. What are some of your favorite movies? Please help I need entertainment...
[right][snapback]57382[/snapback][/right]

I dislike movies in general, but a handful stand out as amazing.

Jackie Brown
Like all (minus his latest adventures) Tarantino's flicks, this is incredibly well-written, and the the actors' delivery of the lines are hilarious. (Samuel L. Jackson outdid himself in his role as Ordell.) This is one of those very few movies which actually become more interesting and entertaining each time you watch. The music juxtaposed with some particular scenes in the movie also gets me laughing. (The Delfonics + Ordell and Max in the car toward the end of the movie... I just crack up each time I see their facial expressions.)

Fail Safe
A tv-movie from 2000 apparently based on another movie from the 1960s. I never saw the original, but I was very impressed with the remake. It's in black and white, and what's astounding, is that the whole movie is done in 1 take. Yes, that's right. No re-takes, no room for mistakes. The actors and the rest of the crew do an amazing job on this project. The movie is about a US nuclear missile programme which malfunction and targets Moscow. Very suspenseful indeed.

The lord of the rings
"Epic" usually entails something large, and although a 11-12 hour long movie is considered "long" compared to the length of normal feature films, it still doesn't justify the use of the word in length. Still, the film does provide an "epic" feel to it, as it combines countless themes, interesting and intriguing characters, breathtakingly beautiful settings, lovely music and a very enjoyable storyline from Tolkien's mind brought to the Silver Screen by director Peter Jackson and his band of talented crew and cast.

Falling Down
The brilliance of this film, isn't only derived from the pleasure we get from seeing a man do what we all - to some extent - wish we could do ourselves, but pinpointing the moment the protagonist crosses a line. To summarise what the movie is about: A guy caught in traffic has a mental breakdown, leaves his car in the midst of a traffic jam, and attempts to walk through Los Angeles home to his (ex-)wife. On his way he gets into several confrontations, where at first he is merely protecting himself and his interests, but later on, seeks out vengeance on the society that betrayed him. He goes from protecting himself from trouble, to seeking it out.

I love this movie. It is definitely one of my favourites.

That being said, I much prefer watching television series. I recently purchased Steven Bochco's Murder One, a brilliant "LA Law"-type series from the same creator of that show and NYPD Blue. However, one major difference from LA law and Murder One, is that a season of the latter follows 1 trial, while LA law never had the same level of continuity. In LA Law, very few cases spanned more than 1 episode, as far as I remember. It really allows you to become engrossed in the whole process, which you don't get to do on a show which has to pack an entire trial into 45 minutes of television.

I also get more enjoyment out of [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141842/]The Sopranos[/b] than the movies it draws some of its references from, such as Goodfellas, The Godfather and other mafia-related movies.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Although I have no movies to add to the list, there are a few short TV series that are worth a mention:

Firefly: This is a must-see for anyone. Often described as "cowboys in space", it combines the best of humour and story telling. At 13 episodes (15 if you count the two that were never aired -- I think I got the numbers right), it's a great series to watch over a weekend.

FLCL: created by GAINAX of Evangelion fame, this short 6-episode anime series defies explanation. Great visuals, lots of humour, and really messes with your brain. Without giving too much away, it's got robots, monsters, aliens, and a giant iron. Also, try spot the references to other animeated films!

Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro): Since Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime were mentioned, I must add this film to the list. This, for me at least, was the introduction to Hayao Miyazaki's world. I think I still have the TV recording of it on a decade-old VHS tape somewhere in the storage room.
YZilla,Oct 11 2004, 12:21 PM Wrote:Although I have no movies to add to the list, there are a few short TV series that are worth a mention:

Firefly: This is a must-see for anyone. Often described as "cowboys in space", it combines the best of humour and story telling. At 13 episodes (15 if you count the two that were never aired -- I think I got the numbers right), it's a great series to watch over a weekend.

FLCL: created by GAINAX of Evangelion fame, this short 6-episode anime series defies explanation. Great visuals, lots of humour, and really messed with your brain. Without giving too much away, it's got robots, monsters, aliens, and a giant iron. Also, try spot the references to other animeated films!

Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro): Since Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime were mentioned, I must add this film to the list. This, for me at least, was the introduction to Hayao Miyazaki's world. I think I still have the TV recording of it on a decade-old VHS tape somewhere in the storage room.
[right][snapback]57446[/snapback][/right]

FLCL is a great anime; I watched it over several times on cartoon network. :D Too bad I can't watch it anymore.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
YZilla,Oct 11 2004, 07:21 PM Wrote:Firefly: This is a must-see for anyone. Often described as "cowboys in space", it combines the best of humour and story telling. At 13 episodes (15 if you count the two that were never aired -- I think I got the numbers right), it's a great series to watch over a weekend.
[right][snapback]57446[/snapback][/right]

*bangs head in wall*

How could I forget?

This show is magical, in the sense that it has an undefinable quality to it. Joss really managed to create something unique in that series; not only very different from his other 2 "main" shows (sorry, but that's the way I see it), but also radically different from any "sci-fi" show. First off, there are no aliens. (Except from that cow-foetus turned upside down. :)) In a show with 9 characters, it's amazing how they managed to make them all incredibly distinct, and not in any way similar or identical. The writing and humour is also truly Whedonesque.

Personally, I can't wait for Serenity to hit the Silver screen in April next year!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Hi!

Couple of my favourites:

- LOTR series (has been mentioned couple of times so far)
- The Shawshank Redemption (moving)
- Pulp Fiction (cult)
- The Usual Suspects (clever)
- Amercian Beauty (still impressive the 4th time you see it)
- K-Pax (funny, yet reflective)
- The Matrix (but please the first part only)
- American History X (shocking)
- Enter The Dragon (Bruce in perfection)
- Once Upon A Time In The West (best western ever)
- Anger Management (funny as hell)
- From Dusk Till Dawn (those dialogues!)
- Shrek (best animated movie ever)
- Akira (best anime ever)
- Heat (this would have to be my vote for the best movie ever, thrilling as hell)
- Forrest Gump (nice and entertaining)

- all James Bond episodes (gotta love that congeniality)
- Indiana Jones series (funny and exciting)
- Star Wars series (nothing less than a milestone)

These are all I can think of ad libitum.
Have fun!

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Hi, Smile

Some very fine movies listed here in 2004, all are great for your NetFlix account. Heart

Last good movie I watched twice in the same week was "Felon" I love prison movies:

Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)
Escape from Alcatraz (1979)
American Me (1992)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
The Green Mile (1999)
The Last Castle (2001)
Felon (2008)

Never been in prison, Yet, why?, ahhh that's easy to explain...> Buba is waiting there for me...I use to think "what would Buba want with a fat old man"
Buba would say "from behind you all LQQK the same to Buba" Tongue

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
The Fisher King
Wall Street
Natural Born Killers

and I don't think I saw either The Godfather I or II or Apocalypse Now on the lists.

Oh And The Usual Suspects and Traffic! Or just Traffic, since fragbait already said The Usual Suspects.

Anything Kevin Spacey works for me.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
(06-06-2010, 11:33 PM)Sabra Wrote: The Fisher King
Wall Street
Natural Born Killers

and I don't think I saw either The Godfather I or II or Apocalypse Now on the lists.

Oh And The Usual Suspects and Traffic! Or just Traffic, since fragbait already said The Usual Suspects.

Anything Kevin Spacey works for me.

Odd, that apparently there were no good movies in the last six years.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hi,

Great dialog, masterful plot, excellent effects, perfect acting:

Bambi Meets Godzilla

And it's just the right length -- for those of us with ADD. Wink

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(06-07-2010, 01:31 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

Great dialog, masterful plot, excellent effects, perfect acting:

Bambi Meets Godzilla

And it's just the right length -- for those of us with ADD. Wink

--Pete

Hi, Smile

This time I must agree with your choice, since everyone else does. I've read replies here at LL that take longer to read than this 1 1/2 minute cartoon. [link below] Tongue

Quote:Bambi Meets Godzilla is the title of a humorous 1969 cartoon created entirely by Marv Newland. Less than two minutes long, the film is regarded as a classic of animation, and in 1994 was voted #38 of the 50 Greatest Cartoons of all time by members of the animation field.

youtube link:...> Bambi meets Godzilla

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.