World Series
Geez, sorry to leave you out Roland. Hope you're having fun, too!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Munkay,Oct 28 2004, 01:18 AM Wrote:Sox Won :)

[right][snapback]58436[/snapback][/right]
Great! Now that the BoSox curse is done maybe we can go about getting the Cubs a World Series win with the Orioles winning the next year.

Hey - a man can dream can't he? ;)
Tal,Oct 28 2004, 07:55 AM Wrote:Hey - a man can dream can't he? ;)
[right][snapback]58453[/snapback][/right]

I've been a fan of the Red Sox since I was a little tyke. I have fond memories of running around in my little Red Sox shirt and rooting for Roger Clemens. I've walked the path of ups and downs with my team (mostly ups leading to disasterous downs, as anyone who knows the Sox history, this is a very frequent happening) and to see them win last night was something amazing.

At Boston University they played the game on the biggest screen I've ever seen (non-projection). I positioned my computer in a way to look out and watch the game, while writing a paper till the bottom of the 7th, when we walked down to fenway. There was already a large crowd there and to see them burst in an uproar of screaming and jumping was amazing.

The funny part was I was taking pictures for over an hour, and the entire time I never heard an anti-cardinals chant other than 'sweep.' What were the Sox Fans chanting?

"**** the Yankees"

Tal,Oct 28 2004, 07:55 AM Wrote:Great! Now that the BoSox curse is done maybe we can go about getting the Cubs a World Series win with the Orioles winning the next year. [right][snapback]58453[/snapback][/right]

I could be happy not watching baseball all next year. I just can't wait for next year, to hear the Sox introduced as the World Champions. That alone will make me sleep happy :D.

So uh, Go Cubs? :P

Cheers,

Munk
Minionman,Oct 22 2004, 03:07 PM Wrote:oops.  :)  Time to get a fork and start eating those words.

I actually haven't checked this thread since the end of the divisional series, but you're right, and pass me the mustard.

On another note, regarding next year:
Tal,Oct 28 2004, 07:55 AM Wrote:Great! Now that the BoSox curse is done maybe we can go about getting the Cubs a World Series win with the Orioles winning the next year.
I heard on a local radio station that no team with 3 or more former Cubs had won the World Series since the last time the Cubs won; for relevance, the Sox had 2 ex-Cubs, while the Cards had 3. Seems like the debate as to which curse is stronger has been settled.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Minionman,Oct 6 2004, 09:24 PM Wrote:I'm not totally apathetic, I'm hoping for long games for my brother to watch so I can get the computer for awhile.
[right][snapback]57224[/snapback][/right]

Best response I have seen to that question to date. :lol:

A pity it did not last beyond 4 games . . . sucks to be the advertisers on that one, and the networks. Hey, wait a minute, glad to see the Networks get one in the eye!

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 28 2004, 12:39 PM Wrote:Best response I have seen to that question to date.  :lol:

A pity it did not  last beyond 4 games . . . sucks to be the advertisers on that one, and the networks.  Hey, wait a minute, glad to see the Networks get one in the eye! 

Occhi
[right][snapback]58503[/snapback][/right]
They got two League Championships out of it that went for seven, I think those TV boys aren't salting their Zimas with tears all that much.

I was happy to see the Cards reach the World Series (first NL Central tram to ever do so ever since MLB went to 3-division play) and having them winning it would have been a pleasant surprise— but a surprise for me nonetheless. Great offensive power gets you the kudos over the long-term of an entire season (best win-loss of any MLB team this year, beating even the Yankees at that) but in the short-term aspect of the World Series, it was a case of a good pitching AL team vs a good slugging NL team.

And pitching will beat slugging in the short of one series. The best St. Louis could muster was the hope they'd out-score the Red Sox, since their own pitching staff was not up to the task of shutting down the Red Sox (or shutting down anybody for that matter). But Red Sox pitching stopped Cardinals offensive might dead cold, and Boston could exploit the gaps of the Cardinals starters and bullpen.

Cardinal modus operandi in the post-season— trail the other team until their starter faded, then blast away at the poor sap and all his buddies in the bullpen to rack in the runs and out-score the bad guys. Red Sox pitchers didn't fade, and the Cards bled first and bled out faster.

But like I said, just getting to the Series was the victory I was looking for.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.