WE HAVE RETURNED!
Silly me. I posted problems over in the suggestion box. I misunderstood "This is also the place for help with problems you may be having with the site." as meaning "This is also the place for help with problems you may be having with the site." :P

The post is here but I will copy it over so don't yell at me for cross posting ;)

------------------------------------------------------------
(in reference to view options not sticking)

Wouldn't this be a cookie issue? Since other cookies don't seem to be sticking, I think that this is another manifestation of the same problem.

Problems I've noticed so far (besides no longer having our nice, homey, old world skin to greet our visits):

- login doesn't stick, even just going between forums/threads (haven't pinned down when it gets lost - only sometimes sticks within a forum but not between forums) (edit - login is now sticking between forums but not sessions - don't know if I did something or if it happened on the board)

- view option doesn't stick

- individual post icons in threaded view list don't indicate new vs read posts - don't know if they ever did - I never liked threaded view but if new/read was indicated per post, it would be liveable - the only time I ever used it was when I had to make sense of a post that seemed inconsistent

- reply auto-quotes - it seems that the quote button is a toggle to turn this off or on (hence the +/-) but setting it to -/red still gives an auto-quote (mostly just an extra step to clear it if you don't want a quote but still something that seems borked)

- maybe my old eyes are missing it but there doesn't seem to be a title option for replies (eliminating title replies with an NT body)

- this is a test, this is only a test <_< :( :) :D :P :angry: :blink: :huh: :lol: :o :ph34r: :rolleyes: :unsure: ;) B) (ooh - emoticons now insert properly instead of jumping to the end)

[edit] - oops just found another one - sometimes the outline/standard links get reveresed - sometimes clicking on standard will still show me the outline(threaded) view and clicking standard again does nothing to change it - in this case, ckicking on outline then switches to standard as if the links are toggles rather than selections - this one seems to happen when coming out of an edit of a post but I think it happens other times too

BTW, good work so far Bolty, just getting things up and running this soon. If you are still coherent, you are probably thinking "are we having fun yet?" Hey, someone should make a web site with that title! Arewehavingfunyet.com - I like the sound of that. Whoever got hold of that would probably be too lazy to do anything useful with it though.

[edit 2] What is Linear+ supposed to do and how does it differ from standard and/or threaded? It seems to be some kind of hybrid but I am not sure if that is the real function or just some byproduct of the other view problems.

[edit 3] - if a topic has multiple pages, the page numbers listed next to the title, on the forum topic list, don't work - for example, nobbies mod topic has 7 pages shown - clicking on 2 or 3 or 7 all give nobbie's topic starting post - of note is that, even though the posts are all the same, the number in the upper right corner changes (1 shows #1, 2 shows #21, 3 shows #41) - this problem seems to prevent non-threaded views from accessing posts beyond the first page of posts - setting posts per page in controls could work around this but the highest number you can choose is 50 so it would still be a problem on threads with 51+ posts

BTW, this is using Firefox 0.9 trying all the usual fixes like shutting down and clearing cache and cookies.

[edit 4] I took a look at the cookies the lounge is posting. The ones that I found questionable were ipbmember_id, ipbpass_hash and ipbtopicmode. These cookies are all set to expire immediately. Will a browser even pass them back if they are expired? If the board sets a cookie but then can't access it because it is expired we would see exactly what is happening. Is the expiration a fix that can be made on your end or is it hardwired into the software?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
IKKE,Sep 26 2004, 04:38 PM Wrote:OMG :|
im sorry, but i hate this new look!!!!, and its #$%&ed that u cant SCROLL DOWN anymore in the posts, now u need to CLICK if u want to read the next reply :|

Im sorry mate, it's been a lot of work i know, but its not my faforite thing ...sorry bout that
[right][snapback]56486[/snapback][/right]

The look is temporary and I believe Bolty is looking into working out the details on the linear view.

Be patient. Its new to all of us and some bugs will need to be worked out. :)

Take a deep breath and have a cookie. :)
Linear view is really borked for me. It's completely useless. I have to click on "Standard" for each thread, and I can't get to a linear view of any page beyond the first. It just returns me to Threaded View again.

I really dislike the implementation of Threaded View here, otherwise I'd just use it.
Also, sometime in the middle of the day Sunday I couldn't log on. Was there something happening sometime between 12 and 3?

Edit: Sometime around than it gave me the "forum down " message.

Otherwise, get some sleep before getting these issues delt with, since this was probably a ton of work. A few more days shouldn't be a problem.

Edit II: In the different forums when looking at threads it shows the "not read yet" icon on posts going back several days back, more than 2 for sure, and I see new posts that I saw before. Mostly a convienence bug, since I can look at the dates. Once again, take some time to fix this up, I think other people will wait awhile to get all this stuff sorted out.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Maybe I should just spam to get a higher post counter. :D
But seriously, I'd imagine the post count for some people would be higher. It's due to forum eating posts! And most of mine.

In the end, quality is more valued than quantity. For now, before the post count thingy gets nuked, I will flant my ub3r 1337 position over those n00bs. "haha stfu n00b you only 26 posts, i pwnzor u i r right."

And even though that number is good for entertainment purposes, I don't see it living very long.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Minionman,Sep 26 2004, 08:01 PM Wrote:Also, sometime in the middle of the day Sunday I couldn't log on.&nbsp; Was there something happening sometime between 12 and 3? [right][snapback]56501[/snapback][/right]

Well, I know what's happening to me is that I *usually* get the new server, but every now and then I can only see the old server. Perhaps you got the forum down message at the old forums? A good way to tell (besides the fact that it's not a blue 2.0 IPB) is if you to www.lurkerlounge.com and see if you're getting the "new server" message or not.

-Griselda
Pete,Sep 26 2004, 12:48 PM Wrote:Hi,
There are only about eight people who have post counts higher than Bolty.&nbsp; And you're three of them :)

I suppose that if the black leather pumps fit, I gotta wear 'em!

At least I have not yet lapped you . . .

Occhi

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Yes, I must say, as LochnarITB and DeeBye report, I too cannot get Linear View to display any page other than the first. I select the other pages, but it goes back to the first.

I thought it was something I gooned up. Maybe it is, but at least my misery can now love company.

Occhi

Ref:
DeeBye,Sep 26 2004, 06:27 PM Wrote:Linear view is really borked for me.&nbsp; It's completely useless.&nbsp; I have to click on "Standard" for each thread, and I can't get to a linear view of any page beyond the first.&nbsp; It just returns me to Threaded View again.&nbsp; I really dislike the implementation of Threaded View here, otherwise I'd just use it.
[right][snapback]56497[/snapback][/right]
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Folks, clearly we're having cookie issues here. I will be trying various fixes over the next few days. Please let me know if things start working; i.e. your login is remembered, the topic view choice is remembered, etc etc.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Sep 26 2004, 01:53 PM Wrote:Try finding your LL cookie and nuking it?&nbsp; It's working for me.&nbsp; Anyone else having trouble with the remembering of logins?

-Bolty
[right][snapback]56429[/snapback][/right]
My logins are not remembered. Perhaps they are simply not memorable.
Thenryb,Sep 27 2004, 11:58 AM Wrote:My logins are not remembered. Perhaps they are simply not memorable.
[right][snapback]56517[/snapback][/right]
I just did a disc cleanup (removing temporary internet files) and was 'remembered"
Bolty,Sep 27 2004, 06:36 AM Wrote:Folks, clearly we're having cookie issues here.&nbsp; I will be trying various fixes over the next few days.&nbsp; Please let me know if things start working; i.e. your login is remembered, the topic view choice is remembered, etc etc.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]56516[/snapback][/right]

\o/ Login is now remembered, topic view choice is now remembered, the "mark as read" buttons are working. Good deal. :)

Edit: The open fast reply in the user controls works now too. Looks like you managed to fix it. Thanks.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Sep 27 2004, 12:50 PM Wrote:\o/  Login is now remembered, topic view choice is now remembered, the "mark as read" buttons are working.  Good deal.  :)
[right][snapback]56519[/snapback][/right]

Good show, Bolty!

Aside from the skin, the forum is now back to its magnificent self!

edit: And take a look at my sparkling new forum title! Weeee!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Bolty,Sep 27 2004, 08:36 AM Wrote:Folks, clearly we're having cookie issues here.&nbsp; I will be trying various fixes over the next few days.&nbsp; Please let me know if things start working; i.e. your login is remembered, the topic view choice is remembered, etc etc.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]56516[/snapback][/right]

Problems SOLVED! Excellent.
Griselda,Sep 27 2004, 12:11 AM Wrote:Well, I know what's happening to me is that I *usually* get the new server, but every now and then I can only see the old server.&nbsp; Perhaps you got the forum down message at the old forums?&nbsp; A good way to tell (besides the fact that it's not a blue 2.0 IPB) is if you to www.lurkerlounge.com and see if you're getting the "new server" message or not.

-Griselda
[right][snapback]56508[/snapback][/right]

It seems to be working now. By "message", do you mean something on the news page or something else?
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
I miss being able to use HTML color codes. I liked my nice seafoam green and sandy yellow sig.

But then they wouldn't show up well on the new white forum, now would they.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Sep 27 2004, 12:58 PM Wrote:I miss being able to use HTML color codes.&nbsp; I liked my nice seafoam green and sandy yellow sig.

But then they wouldn't show up well on the new white forum, now would they.
[right][snapback]56543[/snapback][/right]
You can still use the color codes. You just have to use BB instead of html.

Code:
[color=#ff0000]Test text[/color]
should get you Test text. You can also just type in the name of a color rather than the numerical value as well. Just leave off the # when using the color name.
Intolerant monkey.
Ok, looks like the cookie problems are resolved. Thanks for your input!

As someone astutely pointed out, this thread's contents kinda belong in the suggestion box anyhow, so I'm going to lock this thread. Moving all discussion about the new host and forum setup there.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.