Gaming experience with a Mac
NuurAbSaal,Sep 24 2004, 04:30 AM Wrote:I can only advise you to download the HUGE (content not size) demos they offer for all of their games.

Disclaimer:
If you don't like games without top-notch graphics, don't be surprised if you think Spiderwebgames suck (which they absolutetely don't!). They trade in eye candy for incredible story, immersion and general w00tness. I enjoyed the Avernum series a lot more than Baldur's Gate 2 (well, not exactly the same type of game) and I sure as hell spent more time with Spiderweb games.

Get the demos here.

Special Kudos to Jeff Vogel, the man behind the company (well, he IS the company :) ). Try to get that level of customer support from a big software company...

hmmm, Doc, you wouldn't have been Beta-testing for Spidweb, would you...?    :ph34r:

Greetings

Nuur
Who me? Beta test for Spiderweb Software? No!

Shameless plug. My name is in the credits for many of their games. Mostly bug free quality content is brought to you by yours truly and a small but dedicated army of hard core game players.

Spiderweb makes the best games. PERIOD. Graphics come second to a clean interface and engaging game and storyline. I have worked as a beta tester for years. Almost the entire time there has been a gaming industry. I no longer work for big name outfits. I am a big fan and staunch supporter of shareware.

It's getting harder and harder to find real games. There are lots of cinematic masterpieces that you get to pull the lever and get a pellet. Those work your hands. The mind wanders. But actual games... Glorious games with full on gaming... The sort of game that has you awake at 4 in the morning checking your morals at the door wondering what to do with your army of mutant monsters and which sect to join, or any other number of possible scenarios, that's gaming.

The Mac has many more of such games. Almost all of Spiderweb's games have been Mac first titles. People that use Macs tend to use their brains a bit more. Or perhaps in a different way. Don't take that statement the wrong way. They are artist types, which is why they use Macs in the first place. Thinking outside of the box perhaps is a better choice of words.

Maze Wars was a combat sim. It was a redone version of Tank Wars. I could see why one would think to classify it as a FPS shooter.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:Maze Wars was a combat sim. It was a redone version of Tank Wars. I could see why one would think to classify it as a FPS shooter.

I think you're thinking of SuperMazeWars, which was a tank-like game. I'm talking about the giant-eyeballs-with-tails-in-a-maze game. I'll try to dig up a graphic from my archives.

Then again, there could have been a MazeWars tank game I never saw. It's not like it's the most original name in the universe. :)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
unreal, the MHz doesn't matter. Try running NWN, with both expansions, on a 500 MHz machine with 512 MB RAM. I do it on my old Mac that my daughter plays NWN on. Not to mention my Dual-1.25 GHz that runs Warbirds better than my buddy's 2.8 GHz P4. If you tried that on a 500 MHz PC, it would puke all over itself.

Apples and Oranges. And be nice. Gratuitous little slaps will get you banned.
--Mav