Battle Royale
This movie sounds awesome (a bunch of korean school kids have bombs planted on their throats and will be blown up if they don't kill eachother) but I can't find it. It's not on Netflix, Amazon, or anything. Does anybody know where I can buy this?
It's a Japanese movie - might want to check sites that cater to that market.
The movie is based on a book.

I recommend you read the book.

Then again, I'm always recommending people read the book when a movie is based on one.
YZilla,Sep 16 2004, 06:58 AM Wrote:The movie is based on a book.

I recommend you read the book.

Then again, I'm always recommending people read the book when a movie is based on one.
Does that mean you actually advice people to read John Grisham books??? :D
What do you mean, books? There's only one Grisham book -- he just changes the covers. :D

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Yeah, definitely read the book. While the movie itself is an entertaining watch, you don't receive the message about the social commentary that creates the background for the book. Everyone here has probably seen Japanese shows, animes, or movies where it shows the '"Gung Ho" spirit that the Japanese put into their work and schooling. It was a movement for generations past that helped establish Japan as an economic superpower, but nowadays life is a bit different. The Japanese economy can no longer guarantee jobs like they once did and some people are questioning the lifestyle that they grew up with and that their children are following where rigorous schooling is supposed to lead to a stable life.

Of course, if you're not interested in the background stuff and just want to see children killing one another, the movie's fine for you. I've yet to take a look at the sequel, but one does exist. Search for it too.

-Grim-
Kwansu, dudes! - A whole bunch of Patu San citizens.
Quote:What do you mean, books? There's only one Grisham book -- he just changes the covers.

-.- and just how many John Grisham books have you read?
The sequel, in one word, sucked.

Over the top, badly written, loop holes aplenty, and generally a bad idea.
Quote:-.- and just how many John Grisham books have you read?

I think the answer here would have to be "Too many."
Does anybody who owns this movie know what the legit cover looks like? There are 2 different covers circulating ebay (the dvd, not the book) and I'm not sure which one isn't the haxored one. Or does it even matter? Does it have 2 covers normally?
Use it. Don't ask others here to do your inane homework for you. Look it up yourself.

Type into your web browser "www.google.com" Hit the Enter key on your keyboard.

Tailor a search to your needs.

Post here, if you are going to post on this topic at all, with an informative little tidbit about the film and or book.

Do your own work, or go somewhere else to annoy other nice people.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Your so mean Occhi...

Anywho, several weeks later and I own both Battle Royale and Battle Royale 2...

Battle Royale was awesome. I thought they represented the different kinds of emotions different people would be expressing perfectly. Plenty of action, and several subtle deeper meanings.

I assumed Yzilla was being hypercritical about BR2, and that anything BR would be equally pwnage. Yee gods. It did suck. Unrealistic in several senses, and generally a stupid scenario (if you're using school kids as an army, one would think you wouldn't be looking for ways to kill them; quite the opposite. you would want them alive as much as possible).

Anyway, everybody should see BR (I got my copy off of ebay) and if you like it a LOT BR2 might still be worth seeing as the begining is kind of cool and it gives you some insight on Kitano from the first movie.