Draft Could Come Back
Quote:Zippy joined this forum this month. The month isn't even half over. He's new in my book.
Just for the record, I've been a part of the legit community for upwards of six years. Maybe even more. Here is the first record of my existance, I believe. I was semi-active on the DSF and a loooon-time reg in the bnet channels since the LL was first created. I miss the original design, let's bring it back!

Thanks Taeme and DeeBye. (Hi DeeBye :))

And unrealshadow13, no offense taken. And why does everyone get my name wrong?

PS. Sorry for the off topic post.
The error occurred on line -1.
What's the DSF? And I don't understand the screenshot.
I didn't expect you to. They weren't for you. <_<

Read the caption.
The error occurred on line -1.
unrealshadow13 Wrote:Zippy joined this forum this month. The month isn't even half over. He's new in my book.

Look at my account: Forum Member: 03. Joined: Feb 9 2003, 09:05 PM.

Your logic would indicate we've only had forums since Feb 2003. What you don't know, since you've not been around for very long, is that the Lounge has had forums for far longer than Feb 2003. We've had different forum software over the years, and accounts from one software package don't transfer to the new software. (Lounge forums were even on Network54 at one point.)

As you can imagine, Lurkers don't necessarily stick around from year to year to year. Sometimes people go away for awhile. The difference in experience between someone ancient, like me, and someone relatively new, like you, is that I can recognize people -- good and bad -- from ages past. Since the Lounge isn't the only Diablo forum I browse, I can also recognize posters from other forums and use that knowledge to know whether I should watch someone closely or feel comfortable with them posting here.

unrealshadow13 Wrote:Those poems are about me? That's kind of messed.

That you don't understand the poems are about you further indicates the root of your problems here: comprehension. The way you say things matters. One of the things that makes posters think you're a troll is that you consistently say things in the worst possible way. For instance:

unrealshadow13 Wrote:In my opinion, America kind of deserved 9/11. We've been killing lots of people in other countries a lot, and undeserved in most situations (IMO). Obviously those particular people who died in 9/11 didn't deserve it, but did all of those civilians we killed in Vietnam and Desert Storm deserve death? I thought that we should have just taken the attacks in stride, and tighten our defenses.

Posted: Sep 11 2004 in "9/11 coverup?"

You say "America deserved 9/11," but attempt to disclaim that by saying "those particular people who died didn't deserve it." You can't disclaim it that way, because you can't have it both ways. Either America "deserves 9/11" or it doesn't deserve to have its civillian populace attacked. Your phrasing was ambiguous, what you said sounded terrible, and out of 365 possible days of the year, you said it on the very worst one. And yet you can't comprehend why people think you're a troll.

A far less inflammatory way of saying something similar: "an attack on America was karmic." This phrasing does not endorse an attack on civillians, or attacks period, it says "What can you expect when you threat the world this way?" You'll still get disagreement, but I doubt as many posters would view such phrasing as trollish.

unrealshadow13 Wrote:Posted: Aug 15 2004 in "Gay Marriage"

Gays help keep the population in check by not reproducing, and then dying by aides, or becoming victims to hate crimes. I think they fill a needed niche in society, and should be allowed to marry.

Homophobes don't seem to think so, so that is the only argument I could think of that homophobes could relate to.

Your first comment would be awful even if you prefixed it with "For those that hate gays, ..." There was simply no way of disclaiming such an inflammatory comment. And if you honestly thought your comment wouldn't sound like the most horrible thing posted in the entire thread, you really don't comprehend how what you say affects other people. I was gritting my teeth not to ban you.

It's because of posts like the few I quoted that whenever I check the Lounge, I personally look for any new posts made by you just to make sure you haven't said anything that needs editing. In other words, your posts draw so much attention at least one moderator has to babysit you. In the past month, numerous Lurkers have publicly voiced complaints about you. Your presence on this forum is highly disruptive.

Do you see where this is going? That's right. It's going toward the ban-stick. I've got it all charged up and it would give me some sadistic pleasure to pop you with it and leave a big bloody skidmark where your account used to be. So, don't mistake what follows for benevolence.

Consider yourself on probationary status. Your challenge, until I say otherwise, is to avoid saying trollish things. If the only way you know to do that is to not post every little thing that comes to mind, then that's what you'll have to do. And you know what? That might even help you. Contemplate before posting. Discard posts if you need to. And when you do post, write as if you're writing for other people. If something sounds inflammatory, try to say it a different way.

And here's a challenge to other Lurkers: You think he's a troll? For every post you think is trollish, PM me. That's all you need to do. Even if the post doesn't bear editing, if it's trollish, PM me. But don't reply to him. This way, the trollish posts get less attention, and we don't have quite so many threads that unravel into musings on Unreal's motives.

And what am I going to do with all those PMs? That'll remain classified. For now, it's time to take this mess behind the scenes. No more flames.

Robert Frost Wrote:Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

This shall end in ice.

-Lemmy
I do frequent the Starcraft forum there. It's actualy a pretty good source :) The forum regulars there are actualy quite friendly to newbies and generally resourceful. While there are still idiots there, it is a battle.net forum after all. :D However, it looks like the fools have moved on the newer games that catch their fancy.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Taeme@Sep 15 2004, 07:15 PM Wrote:That's if you, say, are discussing something in depth enough where the second post helps in organization and thought flow. This, on the other hand, was a small snippet replying to a short point. It's not harder to read in thread view, thusly, it's just clutter in a normal view. So no, I shouldn't double post. It was just me being lazy.

You didn't say this in the first response that I quoted, so I jumped on it. Now that it makes more sense, O.K., but make sure to write it next time, because otherwise it adds to the impression that you're jumping on someone because they have a certain reputation, not because the post you're jumping on is actually a problem.

Taeme@Sep 15 2004, 07:15 PM Wrote:No, that means when someone shows up you don't immediately start telling them to do stuff since you don't know. I said he shouldn't assume. It would be great if you were able to bring your reading comprension with your smarty pants, but I guess you left them at home.

I'm at home right now, and my reading comprehension's perfectly fine. Shouldn't assume was bolded, and with the sort of agressive wording of the rest of the post, bolded says that if you were talking face to face, you were trying to rip into someone for making a mistake instead of showing something new. This is what I see when reading the internet, if it meant something different, than O.K. If not, it much nicer, and more helpful actually, to simply write it regularly as if you were showing something different in a nice way than to write it in a yelling down way. I'm being agressive about it because I think you've been around long enough to understand this, if not, just tell me and never mind.

About the actual post, there's usually some basic information posts flying around about gameplay and such, and these are perfectly fine. If you wanted a real post to complaing about, there are plenty recent ones laying around, check out completely off topic. In this case, you're dealing with a really hard learner, but it's almost for sure better to only pound on the problem posts than to generally pound on all posts because of other bad ones.

In softer wording, I think you jumped on a post with nothing really wrong with it when there were severa lreally bad posts that you could have brought up that were actually bad.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
post deleted
Wish I'd read lemming's post before I posted
I particularly enjoy the way you used that bright red lipstick, doubtless from the side pocket of your kit bag, to circle the necessary links.

Excellent use of ah hoc visual aids.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I particularly enjoy the way you used that bright red lipstick, doubtless from the side pocket of your kit bag, to circle the necessary links.

"Pirengle knows a lot about rouge, but nothing about rogues."
Nystul,Sep 17 2004, 12:33 PM Wrote: I particularly enjoy the way you used that bright red lipstick, doubtless from the side pocket of your kit bag, to circle the necessary links.

"Pirengle knows a lot about rouge, but nothing about rogues."
I have several 'sploded Amazons that could testify to Nystul's axiom if Hadriel wasn't cleaning them out of the River of Flame with a Swiffer. (No, bowazons can't stand that close to Oblivion Knights.)
UPDATE: Spamblaster.