"Star Wars" Trilogy DVD-Review
As some of you may have heard already, the "Star Wars" trilogy (Episode IV-VI) will finally be released in a "Special Editon" DVD-set on September 20. I've just found this first in-depth review of the new DVD-set, which is a good read and which seems to be quite objective:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/sta...arstrilogy.html

I could also take a look at the first movie of the DVD-set, and the image quality is indeed as awesome as the reviewer describes. Whether you like the digital changes/additions of the revised trilogy or not, the films never looked better than on this DVD-set. The 150-minute main special "Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy" on the bonus-disc, of which I could see 90 minutes so far, shows never-seen-before materials from the Lucasfilm archives and has over 40 new, in-depth interviews with all the major cast members, the production staffers, etc - pretty amazing, too. And as expected, the DVD-set ranks already on place 1 on all major Amazon websites ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
And, because I was curious, these are the late 90s edited versions of the films.

Maybe Georgie Boy just figured out that the films are circulating over the Internet anyway. Maybe because they weren't out on DVD. :P
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
If I understood what I read about the release earlier correct, the versions released on DVD are *even further modified* versions of the "special editions". For example some scenes have been slightly changed to achieve better "consistency" with Episodes I - III.

Color me deeply disappointed, Mr. Lucas. :angry:

If my VHS tapes of the original releases were not worn out, I might even consider making a set of Super VideoCDs from them. Looks like that DVD set is the only feasible possiblity to own the Star Wars movies in digital form. :(

Regards, Tobias
The next edition of "Star Wars" will definitely be released in 2007 for the 30th Anniversary. Whether or not the new DVD six-pack (with the 2 trilogies) will then include the original trilogy remains to be seen ;) I'd like to see a DVD package like the (fantastic!) "Alien Quadrilogy" where all films are presented in both the original and the director's cut (plus extras) on 9 DVDs.

You know, I've accepted that there will be even more DVD "Star Wars" releases in the future, and frankly, I don't care much about that anymore. For just a bit more than 40 $, this DVD set is a no-brainer IMO.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
twolf,Sep 12 2004, 11:12 PM Wrote:... versions released on DVD are *even further modified* versions of the "special editions". For example some scenes have been slightly changed to achieve better "consistency" with Episodes I - III. ...
You are not referring to, by any chance, the horror that is the scene where the phantom of Anakin Skywalker at the end of Return of the Jedi is being played by Christiansen?

One "further modification" I would have enjoyed was seeing Jar Jar Binks as the third crewman of the Millenium Falcon in A New Hope. He's there with Han and Chewie at the cantina, and lingers behind with Han after the party breaks up— only to be accosted by Greedo.

Han, Greedo, and Jar Jar all sit down at a table and have their little chat. Greedo at one end of the table, Han and Jar Jar sitting together— Jar Jar beside Han on his left...

...it's the only way to justify the "Greedo shoots first!" aspect of the scene and gives the audience the supreme appreciation of Greedo's otherwise lackluster aim.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Oh man.

He actually put Hadyen Christansen in the ending sequence of Return of the Jedi. I can't believe it. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've even seen or heard of... He may as well replace Mark Hamill as Luke, put someone younger in it. Or maybe digitally replace all of the actors, so he can make the time line consistent with episodes 7-9. Geez. Makes me want to puke. "Screw your childhood!" Says Lucas. He slaps us in the face with his unabashed alterations of history!

Fact is, though, he owns them, and he can do whatever he wants with them, no matter how much people despise that. I understand why he does what he does, but I whole-heartedly disagree. History is history, those movies were added to the public consciousness, in a specific state. Han Solo SHOT FIRST! ARGH!!

It's almost as if he was edgy in the 80's (almost), and in the 90's, he became a big wet-bag. Now he's all soft and weak, unable to retain any sense of what is entertaining or pleasing to the masses. He seems to want to target children with his changes -- the only reason why I can see is for the merchandising. I won't get into that, though... Dirty money grubbing...

I can understand him adding Jabba the Hutt in Episode IV, because, well, he was supposed to be there. They shot that scene with the intention of adding a big puppet, but couldn't do it at the time because of technology constraints. But changing actors, 20 years after release!? Lucas has lost it. What's next, change the Yoda puppet with a CGI Yoda?

Lucas just can't admit that he actually DIDN'T have the entire series planned out. He had an idea for a story, but he didn't have all that crap about Dooku and the trade federation written down. He definitely didn't have Jar-Jar Binks written down. Ugh, don't get me started on Jar-Jar...

For me, Star Wars is a trilogy that was concluded in 1983. These new movies (episodes 1-3) are, as far as I'm concerned, not part of the original timeline. Instead, they're part of a different, bastardized history, one that doesn't apply to those of us who were around to watch the original. Oh Lucas and his changes...

If Lucas was a historian, he'd probably say, "oh yeah, Japan was never bombed in World War 2." Sure you can say that, Lucas, you filthy pig, and you can change the pictures of the crater to try and prove it. It still doesn't change that it happened, and we remember.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Making the storylines "consistent" with 1-3 is bad enough - he should have made 1-3 consistent with 4-6. But putting Haydn Christensen in a movie older than he is..."wrong" is the only word I can think of, but it seems so weak...

Will he next give Luke a haircut so it looks less 70's? If he replaces them all with digital actors, he can rest sure he won't be burned in effigy. The mob won't be happy just torching a paper doll!
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
I'm actually very happy with the upcoming changes, but I second the author’s recommendation for a release of the "original" theatrical trilogy without the 'extended' version or any digital remastering.

What pisses me off is how the Star Wars marketing team has intentionally held off on the 'deleted' scenes of episode 4-6 for a final release of all six combined movies in 2007. That bastard knows we will all buy the package too, if anything just for the deleted scenes!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Star Wars?

Seen it

Great film

Now what's all the fuss about again? :lol:
Brista,Sep 14 2004, 03:23 AM Wrote:Star Wars?

Seen it

Great film

Now what's all the fuss about again?  :lol:
Diablo II?

Played it

Great game

Now what's all the fuss about again? :lol:
MEAT,Sep 14 2004, 01:01 AM Wrote:What pisses me off is how the Star Wars marketing team has intentionally held off on the 'deleted' scenes of episode 4-6 for a final release of all six combined movies in 2007.  That bastard knows we will all buy the package too, if anything just for the deleted scenes!
Ever since 20th Century Fox granted Lucas sole merchandising rights to the first Star Wars film, he's been making a buck from clever (and not-so-clever) marketing strategies ever since. (Fox's reason for their multibillion-dollar blunder: the head honchos thought Star Wars would flop at the box office. ;))

I'm making bootleg DVDs from the good copies of the original 4-6. (Remember the re-release of the originals right before Phantom Menace came out? Also saw all three movies at the local dollar theater before it went out of business; again, this was clever marketing strategy for Team Lucas, letting the public remember the originals before the edited films and before Phantom Menace.)

The man may need a leash now, but he could make a fine movie once upon a time.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
MEAT,Sep 13 2004, 09:01 PM Wrote:What pisses me off is how the Star Wars marketing team has intentionally held off on the 'deleted' scenes of episode 4-6 for a final release of all six combined movies in 2007.  That bastard knows we will all buy the package too, if anything just for the deleted scenes!
I'd rent. I didn't go out and buy the special edition Lord of the Rings packages just for the deleted scenes.

On the other hand, I can't rent it. *hisses and lashes tail angrily*

BUT I have the pre-PM VCR tapes that are still perfect quality. That should make me happy enough, or happier, thankee kindly.
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
Count Duckula,Sep 14 2004, 07:25 AM Wrote:Ever since 20th Century Fox granted Lucas sole merchandising rights to the first Star Wars film, he's been making a buck from clever (and not-so-clever) marketing strategies ever since. (Fox's reason for their multibillion-dollar blunder: the head honchos thought Star Wars would flop at the box office. ;))

I'm making bootleg DVDs from the good copies of the original 4-6. (Remember the re-release of the originals right before Phantom Menace came out? Also saw all three movies at the local dollar theater before it went out of business; again, this was clever marketing strategy for Team Lucas, letting the public remember the originals before the edited films and before Phantom Menace.)

The man may need a leash now, but he could make a fine movie once upon a time.
Did you ever see the version on the web where they completely removed Jar Jar Binks? And the funny thing was you never even missed him... LOL. Oh boy, Georgie boy was furious! To be honest thou, Jar Jar was the lamest inclusion to the Star Wars universe they ever could of conceived, and his personality just did NOT fit ‘Star Wars’. I'm glad he has a VERY short part in epi. 2m and I’m hoping for NO part in epi. 3.

Speaking of which, I had one other Star Wars related thing on my mind regarding epi. 3. From what I understand, George had written the concept of his entire six piece incarnate early in the game, but did not write or direct epi. 5 (The Empire Strikes Back), the best and darkest epi. to many Star Wars fans. He screwed epi. 6 with the Ewoks and it COULD have been a much darker movie! I worry George won’t be able to make the third movie as DARK as it needs to be. I mean, we're talking some seriously deep evil motivating enough for Anakin to kill off ALL the Jedi! I just don't know if George has what it takes to make a dark movie!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
CNN also just posted this interview called "Why Lucas tinkered with 'Star Wars'":

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies...s.ap/index.html
In the Lord of the rings case, I went with renting the first DVD once or twice and getting the special editions because there is a heck of a lot of extra stuff on the special ones. If the extra stuff is worth it to you, that's what I'd recommend. Of course, all the regular DVD's are out already so this post probably doesn't matter anyway.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
JustAGuy,Sep 13 2004, 11:01 AM Wrote:I can understand him adding Jabba the Hutt in Episode IV, because, well, he was supposed to be there. They shot that scene with the intention of adding a big puppet, but couldn't do it at the time because of technology constraints. But changing actors, 20 years after release!? Lucas has lost it. What's next, change the Yoda puppet with a CGI Yoda?
It was my understanding that, at the time Episode IV was filmed, they had not yet conceptualized Jabba as the creature we've come to know. He was a humanoid at that point, and as such they filmed him just that way. I have no problem with the CGI change adding in Jabba... but they actually changed the ending of episode VI? Boo.
See you in Town,
-Z
With the Lord of the Rings movies, my response to the Extended versions and their seamless inclusion of the additional footage was always:

"How could they POSSIBLY have left that out?!"

Whereas my response to the superficial changes of the remade Star Wars movies was always:

"Why the hell did they bother putting that in?"

Adding more icing to the cake... at the expense of the cake, some might say.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Minionman,Sep 22 2004, 08:38 PM Wrote:In the Lord of the rings case, I went with renting the first DVD once or twice and getting the special editions because there is a heck of a lot of extra stuff on the special ones.  If the extra stuff is worth it to you, that's what I'd recommend.  Of course, all the regular DVD's are out already so this post probably doesn't matter anyway.
Really, I'm waiting for them to issue the extended versions of all three movies in one big honkin' set. Probably twelve to sixteen discs in there, but I can put up with it.
Lady Vashj,Sep 23 2004, 03:44 PM Wrote:Really, I'm waiting for them to issue the extended versions of all three movies in one big honkin' set. 
In time they will probably release an Ultimate Mega Super Hyper Prolonged Extended Edition...

... a.k.a. "Lord of the Rings - the story in real time"! :D

Cheers, Tobias
twolf,Sep 23 2004, 12:32 PM Wrote:In time they will probably release an Ultimate Mega Super Hyper Prolonged Extended Edition...

... a.k.a. "Lord of the Rings - the story in real time"!  :D

Cheers, Tobias
Speaking of which, I heard that a set will all three LotR movies was coming out with "bonus features" next year. I wouldn't doubt if a trilogy collector’s edition came out after that, then a trilogy special edition, and finally a trilogy limited edition.