Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:That would need to also be a factor, yes. However, if you knew with certainty that a person was innocent, then why would they continue to be incarcerated. The studies I've seen suggest that the "innocent" who are locked up are the most compliant prisoners (already being "different" from the guilty prisoners). My presumption would be that innocent people would be less inclined to suicide attempts, although they would probably feel most justified in trying to escape. Also, I would expect the suicide rates in all prisons to be higher than the general population as people who commit crimes suffer already from a level of anti-social isolation.
I would imagine the opposite. "Compliant" means they hope to get a fair shake and get the hell out of there; after a certain point, that turns to hopelessness, and thus to suicide. "Non-compliant" means they're combative, and far more likely to try and escape. Plus, the innocent person has something to lose, their reputation for compliance. The guilty are (in all likelihood) going to be punished if they stay anyway, and so have incentive to escape.

-Jester
Quote:There is little denying in that, except that the Netherlands are not part of Scandinavia, and that tofu can taste decent if properly prepared. But yes, we Dutch are pretty good in making profits from all sides in a conflict, and getting away with it.

Ahh yes, my mistake. As far as tofu, I was talking about plain tofu.
Quote:... except that the Netherlands are not part of Scandinavia...
When I think of the Netherlands it reminds me of gouda... when aged, gouda has a pungent strong bitterness.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they will be called "the sons of Gouda".

Quote:When I think of the Netherlands it reminds me of gouda...
Tulips would be more appropriate. When I think of tulips, I'm thinking of my <strike>first girlfriend</strike> wife.

Quote:when aged, gouda has a pungent strong bitterness.
So do Big Macs, for that matter. So maybe when people think of America, they think of rotting flesh.

I think yer thinkin' about smoked gouda. Yummy. It goes well in quiche, especially with mushrooms.

Yer not-so-veiled metaphor or whatever about bitterness -- as an aged Dutch-American, hmm, yes I am a bit pungent, come take a whiff of my feet on a warm day (smell like old gouda) and yes bitter. What am I bitter about??? Got a few hours??? No??

-vanderclown
Quote:Tulips would be more appropriate. When I think of tulips, I'm thinking of my <strike>first girlfriend</strike> wife.
When I think of tulips I think of <strike>your wife</strike> my wife. :)
Quote:So maybe when people think of America, they think of ...
American Cheese. Processed cheese made from many kinds of cheese, or an artificially made substance that simulates cheese.
Quote:I think yer thinkin' about smoked gouda. Yummy. It goes well in quiche, especially with mushrooms. Yer not-so-veiled metaphor or whatever about bitterness -- as an aged Dutch-American, hmm, yes I am a bit pungent, come take a whiff of my feet on a warm day (smell like old gouda) and yes bitter. What am I bitter about??? Got a few hours??? No??
However true it is, the original comparison to tofu was the right direction with the wrong food. The typical Scandinavian dish we have here is white fish, with white potatos, and white sauce. Then season if you must with salt, and/or pepper. Anything not in the above is considered a salad, especially if you mix it together. Popular ones include shredded carrots suspended in green lime flavored gelatin, or a mixture of fruit cocktail, dates, coconut, and mini marshmallows.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:The typical Scandinavian dish we have here is white fish, with white potatos, and white sauce. Then season if you must with salt, and/or pepper. Anything not in the above is considered a salad, especially if you mix it together. Popular ones include shredded carrots suspended in green lime flavored gelatin, or a mixture of fruit cocktail, dates, coconut, and mini marshmallows.
The... horror... the ... horror...

-Jester
Quote:The... horror... the ... horror...
Yes... So you see... If you can handle an all you can eat Lutefisk dinner, then what possible harm could a little waterboarding do?

Quote:Yes... So you see... If you can handle an all you can eat Lutefisk dinner, then what possible harm could a little waterboarding do?
I'll live through Lutefisk. Things that have flavour (or smell, as the case may be) however disgusting it may be, are not a big problem in my book. Stuff that's "bland item in bland sauce, seasoned with bland" is what's downright horrifying.

Thankfully, Scandanavian cuisine is being rescued from jellied salads (...) by some brave chefs. Maybe it'll even be the next big food region, who knows.

But, if we want to start a food thread, maybe we'd better do that. This one is grotesquely long even by lounge standards.

-Jester
Quote:This one is grotesquely long even by lounge standards.
Yes, but it was for a good reason: allowing us to expose a bug in the views counter;)
Quote:Thankfully, Scandanavian cuisine is being rescued from jellied salads (...) by some brave chefs.
Like this one ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsYwW7pt...re=related
Quote:Like this one ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsYwW7pt...re=related
Without looking at the video, just looking at the poster and the post, I'm going to say... muppets?

.... aaaand bingo.

Yes, much like that one.

(Also like this one. And this one.)

-Jester
Quote: I'm going to say... muppets?
We are doing our best to change that image.:)

My existence has been validated!!! Now please stamp my parking stub.

Quote:just looking at the poster ... muppets?
Yes, I get recognized quite frequently as being one of the foremost authorities in this field.

It may not surprise you to know that one of the earliest albums I owned was the one with the debut of Rubber Ducky.

I also was in the television audience for the Muppets on the first season of Saturday Night Live.

Later on, my first girlfriend was unfortunately subjected to ridicule when I took her to The Muppet Movie on our fifth date. Some people, evidently, thought Muppets were just for kids. Tsk.

Quote:just looking at the poster ...

.... aaaand bingo.
Yes, I happen to be expert on that, too. Simple thing to master, really.

Quote:Some people, evidently, thought Muppets were just for kids. Tsk.

Damn them!!!