Death's advocate approaches ... (Doom 3)
Quote:I'll wait for HL2 until buying a new PC.

Half Life 2 is much less demanding than Doom 3. Having played the CSS beta at full details at 70 fps, compared to Doom 3 wich got about 30 fps with details on medium (same computer).
Here's some BFG shots:

The MartianBuddy Cabinet

...And the BFG inside

A Shot of the Weapon

The (fully charged) BFG's projectile

I couldn't really capture the explosion too well, sorry =/
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Quote:I thought that game was an RPG...

It is. It's also a first-person shooter - unless I'm missing something...
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Aug 12 2004, 09:54 PM Wrote:It is.  It's also a first-person shooter - unless I'm missing something...
I beleive its labeled a Hybrid. Though personally I felt it played more like a FPS with a great story line than an RPG. But your mileage may vary.

Quote:tar shiz

Growth: Aim for going forward, not backward!

Cheers

Munk
Playing anything at less than 60 fps is an unenjoyable experience, IMO.

You've gotta be kidding me. Is playing multiplayer with anything higher than 17 ping also an unenjoyable experience, then? If I turn off the little FPS counter in the corner of the screen, I really doubt I could distinguish anything above 15 (maybe 20) from the cap at 60 ticks.

I think that single player first person shooters in general aren't that great. I can't think of ONE with a particularly good story; why would you want to play a FPS single player if you aren't getting something out of it? You beat a game. Big whoop. Can't wait to call up all your friends and tell them how you squandered 20 hours, eh? In the case of Doom 3, you didn't even learn any valuable skills, and only increased your twitch marginally.

Well, most people play games primarily to have fun. It sounds like you knew you wouldn't have much fun with this game, so I'm not quite sure why you paid top dollar for it. I think it's fair to say that someone who still enjoys playing RTCW, Quake 2, Quake, or Doom (in single player) will certainly enjoy Doom 3, and people who think those games are a waste of time or a one time run through probably shouldn't even bother with Doom 3. I have never beaten any of those games at the highest difficulty, and I still have fun trying every now and then (without savescumming), so I imagine I will get some replay value out of Doom 3 as well.

The bullets go straight to the center of the screen ALL THE TIME.

You are inside a building shooting things at a few meters distance or point blank...

This game REALLY is Doom remade in 3d...

I think that was the idea, yes. :D
Quote:...where it is more tar shiz, relatively...

What is "tar shiz"?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:What is "tar shiz"?

tar shiz= "the 5h17" (don't want to swear is swearing allowed i forget?)
Quote:However, we do not appreciate '|337 5|o33|<' or any unnecessary shortenings of English words. - Etiquette, by Elric of Grans

I think that one is more applicable. Though:

Quote:Keep it clean.
It's PG-13 here. Computer games, even those rated "mature" by the ESRB, will have young kids playing them. There's no need to have swear words in your posts - they aren't conducive to intelligent debate or strategy discussion anyhow. We run a clean site and we hope that the posters will respect that.&nbsp; -Forum Rules, by Bolty

Works as well.
Oh. I was just getting used to the idiot form of "the" being "teh", and now they go and change the slang to "tar". I suspected that "shiz" was a shortened form of "shiznitz" which I'm used to seeing. But, then I thought maybe "tar" was also a shortened form of "tard" In that context within the sentence, it was just nonsense.

So then "tar shiz" really just means the same as "very good", right? Otherwise one might misconstrue that phrase to mean "loose bowels", no? :D
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Nomadic/Teddybears
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Could some of you people post your framerates and settings that you use in Doom 3? Also please note if you did the memory cache trick too. I get ~30 with lowest res and details without memory trick.
800x600 @ Medium, Memory trick in effect. FRAPS reports a relatively constant 51 fps, using Demo1 as the benchmark. AMD AthlonXP 2500+, Radeon 9600 XT, 7200rpm HD with 8MB cache.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I'm stuck! I'm in Delta labs 1, and I've done my "thing". My objective is now to "find main portal." but when I continue from where I completed my last objective I am returned to "Delta main lobby" which is almost at the beginning of the level. Where do I go from here?
1024 x 768 Medium grahics setting

Avg 45 fps..... on my laptop. :)

BTW, I absolutely hate the game. Pretty graphics but noreason to ever play the game twice. I'm looking forward to the future games that will use the doom3 engine to really do something special. I think we'll see some good stuff from the Mod community as well that might eventually justify the cost of the game.

Smithy
I have to agree with you. I read in a review somewhere, "from a horror movie perspective, too much Freddy Kruger, not enough Micheal Meyers". That about sums it up, there is not really enough suspense. Every time I enter a new area I know I'm in for something. I go in, and back out and wait for the beasts to come for me and I pick them off. Once, they are all dead, then the area is safe for as much time as it takes to collect swag, read e-mails, and figure out whatever puzzle is limiting my progress. Rinse, repeat.

Edit: Meyers, not Myers.

Quote:I think we'll see some good stuff from the Mod community as well that might eventually justify the cost of the game.
The mod community was where it was at w/DOOM I and II. The endless parade of levels and full out "adventures". . . The mod community is where I put my faith in DOOM III.
I finally got Doom3 working without the major skipping of a strobe-light effect, but I had to turn everything related to the graphics off. The game still looks good too even in the lowest possible video mode. So I just started playing for real tonight and I must say I am very impressed! If there are acts, then I haven't passed a single one yet, but the atmosphere is superb. I personally like this game is better than classic horror games (i.e. Resident Evil) because I actually have enough ammo to kill my enemies instead of running away all the time, yet I still get that same horror feeling when you have to flee and your heart drops.

Personally, I feel there is no story, at least not in the area I'm in! You enter the complex the second its being over-run by hell and make your way from point A to B killing the “monsters” in each room. I haven’t played a FPS since Doom II, so the ability to customize my controls was exhilarating, but took me a good 15-20 minutes to configure just how I liked it.

For me at least, this game will be a good filler to replace my long-neglected D2 habit until Guild Wars comes out.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
If you can get away with turning shadow rendering back on, it is probably worth it. Just about everything else can be disabled without affecting gameplay very much. Turning off specular lighting seems to screw up the outdoor areas, but they only make up about 20 seconds of your gameplay.
Resident Evil had enough ammo, if you conserved it, and used the correct ammo against the right monsters. E.g no shotgun blasts against zombies, unless there are 5-6 you can take out in a single blast. Desert eagle is only used against 2 monsters: Hunters and the tyrant. Etc.

If you follow these procedures, and find most of the ammo lying around, you shouldn't have any problems with ammo. It's if you run around wasting it willy-nilly that you get into trouble.

I never run out of ammo in Doom3. The moment I'm out of rockets, the railgun or plasma rifle is fully loaded, and vice versa.
Quote:Resident Evil

Isn't that a console game?