Gambling mechanics
I could not find a good thread on gambling that is 1.10 compatible. If I simply missed it, i apologize, and thank you for a link to it. Anyhow, my question is, how does gambling work? Does MF affect it? Does character level affect it? To what extent do the factors involved affect it? I was trying to gamble a Tarnhelm on my level 4 sorceress, but I wondered if it was even possible, since all the items I got were so awful, I guessed that it was possible for you to only be able to get certain items under certain conditions. Any insight is welcome.
MF doesn't work. The only item property that has any effect on gambling is the reduced vendor prices on Gheed's Fortune.

It is based on clvl. The ilvl is random from clvl - 5 to clvl + 4.

Tarnhelm requires ilvl 20 to spawn. So you'd have to be at least clvl 16 (and preferably 25) to have a chance at gambling one. However, the odds are really against you. You can't expect to get a Tarnhelm in with reasonable amount of gambling.
What he means is: if you want a Tarn, gamble for circlets/amus with a high level char and a good Gheeds, chances are you can trade one of the results for a Tarn.
my highest level char is 22, so that isnt an option. :D

Anyhow, this is probably a pretty basic question, and I apologize for imposing my newbdom onto you, but, what is an approximate ratio of rare:unique when gambling? Can one be determined? I have gotten 6 rares so far gambling these skullcaps, but no tarn.
The odds are:
Rare: 10% (1/10)
Set: .05% (1/2,000)
Unique: .02% (1/5,000)
Magic: 89.93% (about 1/1.1)

So you get about 500 rares per unique.
Thanks for the help! Seems like 1.10 made it harder to do my favorite past time of gambling tarnhelms <_<
No. 1.10 improved your chances. In 1.09, the chances were even worse, while in 1.08, it wasn't possible at all (IIRC).
adeyke,Jun 14 2004, 04:54 AM Wrote:The odds are:
Rare: 10% (1/10)
Set: .05% (1/2,000)
Unique: .02% (1/5,000)
Magic: 89.93% (about 1/1.1)

So you get about 500 rares per unique.
Are you sure about this?
I think it should be 89,85%magic / 10%rare / 0,1%Set / 0,05%Unique
This AB thread is where I got my numbers.
You will note Hammerman uses values from difficultylevels.txt.
These changed from 10000, 50, 20 in the beta to 10000, 100, 50 in 1.10 final.
So 0.05% and 0.1% are right for unique and set chances now.
"Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us. " - adeyke
Ah. Mea culpa. Sorry about the outdated information.
Would have been kind of funny if your values would've been right*...got a public gamble calc for 1.10.
You can find it here. True, it's German, but I'm going to translate it soon enough ;)

*In fact it made my heart stop beating for a moment when I saw them *g*
Hmmm... I can't make much sense of your code, but I can see some definite errors in your output.

It's seems you're checking if there's a unique or set item available, and downgrading the gamble to rare or magic if there isn't. Doing this is correct. However, you don't have all the right data for this. For example, there is no unique crystal sword in 1.10, but you're still showing a chance to gamble one.

The bigger flaw, however, is that you aren't taking into account the unique/set qlvls. Every unique and set item has a minimum ilvl necessary to spawn. For example, Tarnhelm requires ilvl 20+ to spawn. You won't have any chance of getting a Tarnhelm unless you're clvl 16+, and your chances will keep increasing until clvl 25. Your calculator doesn't reflect this and indicates you could get one even at clvl 1.

There's also the issue of what items are even available to gamble at what clvl...
Of course :)
Everything you write is completely right (this time ;) ), and I already knew it. I will see to this as soon as I find some time. There's still a lot of work to do. But I'm not in a hurry, and the outputs it's giving at the moment are *nearly* right, that's why I published the calc.

Quote:There's also the issue of what items are even available to gamble at what clvl...
No it isn't. If the calc gives an output of 0% for a normal quality item, you won't be a able to gamble it at all. If you get a value over 0, you *may* be able to gamble at the item, but the chances it appears in the gamble window might be very small 'til a certain %. This doesn't bother me at all, because I don't want the calc to tell you the chance of a certain item appearing in the gamble window (but this would be a nice feature too....).

What I really don't know is the formula to determine the gold costs of a item when gambling. Anyone able to help me there?