ActiveX controls
Why do some topics want to run ActiveX controls (in IE6) when opened? I have such things blocked, but it seems odd to me that ActiveX controls are necessary. Is this a bug or a feature?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Can you give us an example of such a thread?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...t=ST&f=7&t=3545

as of just now.
Ah, the only unusual thing I can see is unrealshadow13's avatar, a Macromedia SWF.

Check any other threads he's posted in, see if there's any corrolations. And there's your answer, fish-bulb.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

NiteFox,May 11 2004, 01:54 PM Wrote:Ah, the only unusual thing I can see is unrealshadow13's avatar, a Macromedia SWF.
Yeah, I bet that's it.

Here's the URL of the Flash, in case anyone's interested.
http://www.domainarun.com/movies/ph34r.swf

To be quite honest, I don't think that allowing .SWF avatars is a very good idea. I can just imagine all sorts of really obnoxious ones popping up.
Actually, I've seen very few obnoxious flash avatars and sigs. At least no more than simple image ones can be obnoxious.

One guy on the Star Alliance boards has a pretty cool sig with a crosshair that follows the mouse pointer whenever the cursor rolls over it. Amusing for a few seconds.

But with this avatar... Hmm, you could do exactly the same thing with an animated GIF.

Edit: And Dee... Just noticed that you're upside down. Wassup with that?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

NiteFox,May 12 2004, 05:45 AM Wrote:Actually, I've seen very few obnoxious flash avatars and sigs.  At least no more than simple image ones can be obnoxious.
Just you wait until someone adds sound to their .swf avatar and/or sig. Then wait for multiple .swf avatars/sigs featuring sound appearing in the same thread. It'll get annoying in a hurry.

NiteFox,May 12 2004, 05:45 AM Wrote:Edit: And Dee... Just noticed that you're upside down.  Wassup with that?

What do you mean?
DeeBye,May 12 2004, 11:00 AM Wrote:Just you wait until someone adds sound to their .swf avatar and/or sig.  Then wait for multiple .swf avatars/sigs featuring sound appearing in the same thread.  It'll get annoying in a hurry.
*Makes mental note to hunt down and use the "Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" line from Dumb & Dumber*
Quote:What do you mean?
*Stares at Dee*

Uh... Never mind.

Edit: Bah, wrong movie. Curse my addled memory.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

NiteFox,May 12 2004, 04:04 AM Wrote:*Makes mental note to hunt down and use the "Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" line from Dumb & Dumber*
How can I possibly resist.

:P

*note* Flash-plugin for Quicktime required, I think...
DeeBye,May 12 2004, 07:00 AM Wrote:Just you wait until someone adds sound to their .swf avatar and/or sig.  Then wait for multiple .swf avatars/sigs featuring sound appearing in the same thread.  It'll get annoying in a hurry.
Dee, you're right of course. I have disabled .swf avatars as of today.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
ActiveX controls are still trying to run when I access the pages in question.
The function call for .swf is still in the Source ...
So even though the avatar is "blocked" (shows up white for me), Shockwave/Flash is still trying to load on your system.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Ah, thank you for the explaination!
Quark,May 30 2004, 04:25 PM Wrote:The function call for .swf is still in the Source ...
So even though the avatar is "blocked" (shows up white for me), Shockwave/Flash is still trying to load on your system.
So in other words, turning off .swfs is useless?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,May 30 2004, 11:32 PM Wrote:
Quark,May 30 2004, 04:25 PM Wrote:The function call for .swf is still in the Source ...
So in other words, turning off .swfs is useless?

-Bolty
As long a new users can't use Flash avatars, I don't think that disabling them was a useless gesture.

Is there any reason why you can't manually disable the Flash avatar in question?
DeeBye,May 31 2004, 01:06 AM Wrote:Is there any reason why you can't manually disable the Flash avatar in question?
Had to go through the backend database, but the avatar is now set to null for that account.

-Bolty
Great. Now every time I try to access a thread in which unrealshadow13 has posted, my IE crashes. ("This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.") :angry:

-G.

Edit: fixed the problem by turning off avatars in my board control settings.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
Quote:Is there any reason why you can't manually disable the Flash avatar in question?

If I hadn't just gone through a transitional period, I would not have minded saying that I was offended. If anybody had a problem with my avatar, they would have only to PM me, and I would have changed it. My avatar has been changed to a *.png (static).

If anybody has any problem with my avatar or anything else on my digital bodice, I would appreciate you emailing/PMing me, instead of starting a thread to talk behind my back.
I was the one who started the thread, and at the time I had no idea your avatar was what was causing problems.
Apologies. I still wish somebody had PM'd me once my avatar was found to be the source of your problems.