Open Beta Testing For Lineage II
King Jim,Mar 31 2004, 02:18 PM Wrote:Hi

It's 6am ET, I live in Hollywood Florida & I just entered all 3 Servers without a delay...btw I have DSL&nbsp; <_<

Bartz...Normal...Nankor, Human Fighter lv 6
Sieghardt...Normal...Nank, Orc Fighter lv 6
Kain...Net congested...Nankar, Elf Mage lv 5 & Dwarf Fighter lv 1

In Korea it's 8PM...they have their own severs. Europe too...since our 3 servers are all in English&nbsp; :D

Anyone here at LL playing in the Evening ?
Actually Europe and US have the same servers (for proof check Kain's shout messages).

I believe the time with less players is around 3am, which is quite easy for me because I live in Israel AND got a vacation of 3 weeks now :P

Kain: TaiDaishar, Human Mage, level 7.

Sieghardt: Takizis, Dark Elven Mage, level 11.

P.S Is it just me or does levelling (at least in the start) is EXTREMELY slow and repetitive? Hardly any quests you can do for experience and the monsters are either too hard or too easy (especially in human's Talking Island)
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Mar 31 2004, 06:15 PM Wrote:P.S Is it just me or does levelling (at least in the start) is EXTREMELY slow and repetitive? Hardly any quests you can do for experience and the monsters are either too hard or too easy (especially in human's Talking Island)

It is not just you. In fact, I came to this thread intending to post the following:

Are all MMORPGs this boring or is this just because it is beta and may not have all the quests, monsters, etc.?

So far, I have spent my time killing little fox like guys (keltirs? - makes me feel bad, they yelp like I just kicked a dog), bunnies, giant toads and orcs. I have only been able to use one offensive spell and heal. I have three quests in my book, one completed, but they are each kill x number of y and bring the items (such as fur which just magically appears in your quest items - never seen on the ground) back to someone. The only difference is quantity of kills and the killees. Another thing that is giving me fits is finding my way around. Is there any map to this thing. I was given a quest by one of the masters in the beginning tutorial area (bring back fox fangs I think) but I've seen nothing resembling the "monsters" they said to kill and I haven't been able to find my way back to them either. I have also tried pulling up the help file from the button they have but it comes up blank. I don't know if I am even going to keep this installed to give it another try. If this is how all MMORPGs are, I'm glad I never wasted my money on any of them.

As far as getting into the servers, I tried all last evening with no luck. It was finally about 2am central time that I did get in so, of course, I had to try for a little while - didn't get to bed until after 5:30. I got dropped from the server a couple times but didn't notice any lag while playing.

Sieghardt - Lochnar, Human Mage, lvl 6
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Yes, Europe and the US have the same 3 servers.

And yes, I agree. It seems extremely boring. Kill the poor little keltirs and that's it.
I finally reached lvl 5, but couldn't get any skills, since they each cost 320 sp.

Not just the levelling, but it all. What is there but kill monsters for xp and sp?
As a dwarf you can at least learn to craft, but the other races can't.

It feels a little thin so far to me. Besides I feel like a little christmas elf up in the dwarven village. Females all in red, snow and cute music *shudder*
It has gotten a little better for me. The thing I missed came about because of my first death. It was my new character trying to kill things for my first quest. I died and it offered to return me to the nearest village. This was night on the server, so I had no perspective of where I had been. I didn't get the world map reward from the first quest. I finally got a map from a vendor and that helped. I then went back and completed the first quest and was pointed to the counselor guy in the center of the first village. He is the game help file. I also changed a setting that helped. Under options, it allows you to turn off names of other players. This means that only the characters with names above them are part of the game. If you speak to them, they offer info and quests. While I have found several quests, they still pretty much consist of killing x number of y's, but some of them involve visiting multiple people/places once you have the materials.

I am enjoying it. I don't, however, see myself spending money to purchase and then subscribe to the game. I do find the graphics nice and the maps nice. At one point, I fell off a cliff into a small body of water. It was deep enough that I was under water and an indicator started marking my time until I drown (at least that is my assumption since I got my head above water before it ran out). I couldn't swim, but I was able to walk my way out (can you say highlander). As my head started to come above water, I left a small wake in the water like a periscope from a submarine. The indicator didn't go away until I actually got my nose out of the water either. Another time, I was out looking for my latest victims and needed to recover my mana. There were a couple boulder type rocks sitting along the path. I climbed my character up on one and sat him down. I laughed for a minute as my character sat there, with his legs hanging over the edge, watching other players run around killing orcs and werewolves. It was me watching my character watching the action. Very surreal.

Getting on has still been a problem. If I am going to get on, it happens first time. If not, I can try over and over and not get in all evening. I also found that I lose my connection about 3-4am. This is about 9-10am in Europe so I wonder if that is when the servers start getting flooded again.

I guess I can't complain too much since I am playing for free. I am sure they will be able to sell this thing and make some money but I don't think it will be the be-all-end-all MMORPG.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
You know, at this point I really don't care how good this game is. It's been 5 days, I've registered 3 times (with 3 different e-mail accounts from 3 different computers and 3 different ISPs), and the funny thing is I haven't received a reply yet. I bet I will get spam in a few weeks time because of the submission though.

So I'm going to get rid of this and use those 2.5 Gb of my hard drive for something more interesting. Have fun with the game guys.
Walkiry,Apr 3 2004, 09:23 PM Wrote:It's been 5 days, I've registered 3 times (with 3 different e-mail accounts from 3 different computers and 3 different ISPs), and the funny thing is I haven't received a reply yet. I bet I will get spam in a few weeks time because of the submission though.
I don't know what ISPs you used, but it is possible your replies got treated as spam. I actually tried 4 times and got 4 replies. However, they were all delayed a full day between the time they left their servers and they arrived in my boxes. I asked my ISP why the delay and they told me that the reply server had messed up and bombarded one account so the account was put on hold. I don't know if this hold was some kind of global alert or applied by my ISP only. The delay did occur on 3 different mail systems (local, mail.com and hotmail.com). I know you are fed up but you may want to try one more time.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Walkiry,Apr 3 2004, 04:23 PM Wrote:You know, at this point I really don't care how good this game is. It's been 5 days, I've registered 3 times (with 3 different e-mail accounts from 3 different computers and 3 different ISPs), and the funny thing is I haven't received a reply yet. I bet I will get spam in a few weeks time because of the submission though.

So I'm going to get rid of this and use those 2.5 Gb of my hard drive for something more interesting. Have fun with the game guys.
Hi

Sorry your having so many problems with Lineage...

I'm giving up on Lineage untill they add more Servers.

Open Beta for Knight Online post here at LL

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
King Jim,Apr 4 2004, 03:07 AM Wrote:I'm giving up on Lineage untill they add more Servers.
You know, this couldn't come at a better timing because just today 2 new servers were added.

Also I just noticed that if you manage to find a good party then the game becomes hella fun, even if all you do is just heal and you get only 0.17% experience per mob taken.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
King Jim,Apr 4 2004, 01:07 AM Wrote:Hi

Well, thanks to Lochnar I've been able to play, as he sent me a spare key for the game.

So far the game is quite bland, the areas seem to be largely empty and plain (probably to accomodate hundreds of people without them bumping on each other), the interface feels as nippy as if you were trying to give a worm a tonsillectomy wearing boxing gloves, and the best of all, when creating characters what came to mind was the immortal phrase "Know Your Audience".

All females in this game (even orcish ones) are scantily clad, totally racked out-of-proportion hot chics (the dwarven ones look like the daughter of the male dwarf to be honest), and the guys are mostly gender-bending prettyboys with outrageous hairstyles. Very funny ^_^

Oh well, maybe I'll get used to it, who knows. I've already been subject to a PK attempt.

Also, the programmers really need to take a lesson or two in pathfinding algorytms. I tried to go accross a river by clicking on the opposite side, and instead of using the nearby bridge, my character ran straight into the water. If there is any simple obstacle between your clicked objective and the character in a straight line, you'll simply stop and stad there looking stupid.

And well, I guess performance could be better (1.5 Gb of memory and a Radeon 9800 Pro should be enough for the game not to become sluggishly unplayable in the towns). But since it's just a beta, I'm sure that's one of the things they'll be working on.
Walkiry,Apr 4 2004, 01:27 PM Wrote:

Well, thanks to Lochnar I've been able to play, as he sent me a spare key for the game.
You're going to laugh, but I got the first E-mail with the key for the Beta Today. Only what, a week late? :lol:

Funny stuff ^_^
Walkiry,Apr 9 2004, 04:11 PM Wrote:
Walkiry,Apr 4 2004, 01:27 PM Wrote:

You're going to laugh, but I got the first E-mail with the key for the Beta Today. Only what, a week late? :lol:

Funny stuff ^_^
Ouch... I got my key after 5 minutes, and this is using a hotmail.com account...
Well I finally got my confirm for this about 9 days after signing up.

I'm really not liking the interface. I'm really not like the lack of customization. Horizons at least had a really nice customizable interface though there was way too much dead space in the world.

I still haven't figured out how to resize windows thought I haven't played that much. The scroll wheel zoom is reverse from every other game I have played, which bothers me a lot. The text breaking in the dailog boxes is annoying as heck when you get something like availab
le for a word it gets rather annoying to read. I don't like not being able to hold down the mouse button to move. Mouse wheel if you use the logitech drivers on a mouse doesn't work at all. With how integreal that wheel is to gameplay and no real way to remap it that is breaker as well, I'm not uninstalling drivers to play this game.

I will attempt to play it some more, but unless I can figure out a way to get the interface to something that can used to play the game I don't think even the free beta will hold my interest. But again this is a very limited first impression. Hopefully it will get better, but I have never fought with an interface this much before.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.