Need help with hell
Ok, I need to know how much damage fireball needs to kill CI's in hell. Obviously the more the better but what is the lower end amount of damage i need to kill? How fast will this kill them? This will be used for CI's exclusivly in single player games. Ill let the rest of my party handle them in group games B)

Any help or experiance in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I tried to hybrid with orb/firewall and that didn't work, guys in hell simply move way too fast. The way to find out yourself is to save skill points then gradually add them to fireball in hell until your damage is to your liking. I can't imagine unsynergized fireball would be useful even in 2 player but I've never used it so I'll defer to wiser souls.

Supposedly orb/meteor hybrids work but I would think you need a lot of skillers to be effective in multiplayer.

I've also heard orb/hydra is the way to go. It doesn't do much damage as long as it beats their regen rate hydra seems like it would be safest.

One thing to consider would be to max static and let the merc handle the rest. Pokey mercs are brutes with the right gear (reaper's toll). I assume your main attack will be orb so you have a lot of points to play with.

one build possibility (in order of skill placement):
1 warmth
1 tk
1 teleport
20 orb
10 cold mastery
20 ice bolt
20 static
prereqs to eshield
1 eshield
20 tk

edited: instead of adding skills to eshield find an orb that has it and keep it on your switch. You can save yourself 4 skill points that you can add to warmth or max tk faster
Step 2: Acquire and train a monkey. This step may take some time.
arrunique,Mar 26 2004, 07:36 AM Wrote:one build possibility (in order of skill placement):
1 warmth
1 tk
1 teleport
20 orb
10 cold mastery
20 ice bolt
20 static
prereqs to eshield
1 eshield
20 tk

edited: instead of adding skills to eshield find an orb that has it and keep it on your switch.  You can save yourself 4 skill points that you can add to warmth or max tk faster
Skip energy shield (don't even bother getting it from an orb) and can the 20 points in icebolt (energy shield is bad due to the bug, icebolt synergy is just not neccessary for orb). Static field will do almost as good a job with 1-5 points, depending on how many +skills you have to play with. Cold mastery likewise can do just fine with 1-5 points. Where does that leave you? Saves you 40 or so points that can be used to start pumping up hydra, meteor or fireball. While that still leaves you weaker in the fire tree than a dedicated fireball PvP fully synergized powerhouse, you'll much much better rounded than going so heavy into cold + static.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Your right, the only skills i can use are Fwall, hydra, metor and Fireball. Fwall i dont like, its to hard to use.
metor i dont want eather and hydra is to slow.
Right now my sorc is 65. Her skills are.
20 FO
10 CMast
5 pre
1 static
1 tele
1 Fbolt
1 Fball
1 Warmth I have about 29 points saved up.

I was thinking once i got to hell i would dump 20 into Fball and then increse Fbolt till it was strong enough. My only problem is if FBolt reaches 20 and its not strong enough i realy dont want to spend more than 1 point in fire mastery. I need the points for IceBolt. With 20 Fball and 20 Fbolt, Fball dose about 1700 damage. I have no idea if this is enough.
As far as IceBolt being usless i disagree. Each point in it adds about 600 damage to FO.
Each point adds about 6.5 damage per shard, times 46 shards = 299, times 2 for the -100 cold resist = 598 damage per point.
20 in Icebolt adds about 11k damage to Orb.

So, do you think 1700 is enough for hell?
You should change your pumping strategy. The firebolt synergy multiplies with the fire mastery, so it would be better to be a little more balanced. I'm sure someone here has a link to a calculator that finds the optimal level.
TheMagicBox,Mar 26 2004, 11:09 PM Wrote:So, do you think 1700 is enough for hell?
Yes, for single player games. My (single player) FB/orb sorc does about twice that (3400 damage) and went through hell difficulity at /players 3, where the monsters have twice the hit points. The killing will slow down in act 5, however.

Also, the ancients will be a problem, but it sounds like you might be able to go get help. I took them on at /players1 and it took forever to kill the cold immune one.

Finally, you might get more damage by maxing Fball and then splitting the remaining points between Fbolt and Fmastery. The calculations are not as obvious as they seem, a skill calculator would help.

WarriorWalrus