Name that RPG battle scene MIDI
I love old-school MIDIs.

Bubble Bobble in MIDI format.

Recently, I've been playing an RPG with a neat-o "battle scene" tune. I want to see if anyone here can identify it.

Click and listen. The first person to correctly identify the game will receive absolutely nothing of monetary value!

So, what's your favourite RPG battle scene tune?
FF: Mystic Quest.

Specifically, the last boss fight.

B)

EDIT: Mang, can't believe I remember that, lol.

[Image: icon_w-hat2.gif]
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Mar 4 2004, 01:37 AM Wrote:FF: Mystic Quest.

Specifically, the last boss fight.
Sorry, you are wrong.

Try again.
WTF? No way! Dam you, failing memory, dam yoooouuuuu!

Okay, lemme cogitate a bit (and listem some more, I saved the midi :D )

EDIT: Nope, I'm stumped. Something about the beat and/or rhythm makes me want to say Mega Man, but you specified RPG. Watch it end up as one of the Final Fantasies, even though I don't ever remember hearing that tune in any of them. :angry:
DeeBye,Mar 3 2004, 10:31 PM Wrote:Click and listen.  The first person to correctly identify the game will receive absolutely nothing of monetary value!
I recognize it, but can't remember. It does sound like a Squaresoft-style theme though.

Quote:So, what's your favourite RPG battle scene tune?

I have a few. Let's see if you can guess them. Here they are, in increasing order of difficulty (I'm basing that on game popularity and significance of the battle in the game):

Easy

Still Easy

Kinda Hard

Hard

Note that these are all mp3s, and will therefore be a just a tad bigger, but sound a whole lot better.

Edit: Aww, crap. The first one gives a bit away. Try not to look. :P
Damn, I'm REALLY not very good at this. I can't seem to remember anything! Maybe I haven't played these... more than likely, I'll slap myself when I find out what they are.

Anyways, I'm going to make a sad sack of a guess on the "easy" one and say... final battle, Streets of Rage II? With the machine gun dude? I know, pathetic. It's the last game I have left from the old Genesis days, so it's the last one I've played... *sigh*
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Mar 4 2004, 12:09 AM Wrote:Anyways, I'm going to make a sad sack of a guess on the "easy" one and say... final battle, Streets of Rage II?  With the machine gun dude?
Well, its an RPG battle theme, actually. But Streets of Rage II was, hands down, the best side scrolling fighter ever made, and I loved the music.

Hint: the sound quality should clue you in to the fact that the first one is more recent than 16 bit consoles.
Quote:No way! Dam you, failing memory, dam yoooouuuuu!

Personally, I'm happy I can't actually put a name to any of these. I've played *alot* of rpgs in my time, and those certainly sound familiar(especially the second one from Liquid), but at least I can't name the games.

Those people who are telling me I play too many games must be wrong; I can't even recognise random console rpgs by their last boss theme music. I'll have to work on that :)
Deebye, come up with something better mang...Starocean all the way....
Awwww, Newbiness, another unfortunate side effect of hunger.....

Note to self: Eat a snickers before playing Diablo
Sounds like something from Wild Arms 3.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

To LiquidDamage:

Easy is the Final Lavos Fight from Chrono Trigger Would be a better tune if someone could find a way to clean out the Lavos Screams™.

Still Easy: Man with the Machine Gun from FF8. Leguna's theme. I want to thank you for this one...been missing it since my Hard Drive crashed a few months back.

Kinda Hard: Modron Cube Battle from Planescape: Torment. The name would have hosed me except that I have P:ST's soundtrack on my machine....

Hard: Totally has me stumped, but it is a pretty cool theme. It doesn't strike me so much as a fight music, but more of a dungeon crawler theme.
Nick[ Wrote:,Mar 4 2004, 10:29 AM] Deebye, come up with something better mang...Starocean all the way....
Star Ocean 2, to be precise.

Good job.
Quote: Star Ocean 2

ARGH! WTF, how did I miss that!?!

I own Star Ocean: Second Story! :angry:
You're a disgrace, Warlocke!

:P

No seriously, if it isn't Final fantasy, I wouldn't have the faintest idea ;)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:I own Star Ocean: Second Story! 

Heh, I even played through it just about a month ago and didn't recognise it. It's fairly obvious now that I know.

I think I only will have to play through it maybe one more time to unlock galaxy difficulty :)
Scalefang,Mar 4 2004, 09:06 AM Wrote:To LiquidDamage:

Easy is the Final Lavos Fight from Chrono Trigger Would be a better tune if someone could find a way to clean out the Lavos Screams™.

Still Easy: Man with the Machine Gun from FF8.  Leguna's theme. I want to thank you for this one...been missing it since my Hard Drive crashed a few months back.

Kinda Hard: Modron Cube Battle from Planescape: Torment.  The name would have hosed me except that I have P:ST's soundtrack on my machine....

Hard: Totally has me stumped, but it is a pretty cool theme.  It doesn't strike me so much as a fight music, but more of a dungeon crawler theme.
Good job, all correct (and agreed on the Lavos theme, I replayed that battle so many times, just to hear the music again, it is disappointing that the screams are actually in the soundtrack).

I really don't expect anyone to get the last one, it is not at all mainstream. I'm tempted to give hints, but I wouldn't mind seeing if there is anyone else that loves that particular soundtrack as much as I do. It is indeed RPG fight music, though. I may give hints tomorrow, or just upload more of the soundtrack.

Re: Star Ocean 2: I actually did play that once a long time ago, but not for very long. I'm glad it didn't turn out to be from FFVI or some other game I've played near a dozen times. I'd be worried about my memory. :)
I, myself, love the Baldur's Gate 2 music... Not the battle music, but that which is used in narrated entries/different environments.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
LiquidDamage,Mar 4 2004, 09:22 PM Wrote:Re: Star Ocean 2:  I actually did play that once a long time ago, but not for very long.  I'm glad it didn't turn out to be from FFVI or some other game I've played near a dozen times.  I'd be worried about my memory. :)
You need to play it again. It's amazing how much gameplay was packed in there. It's one of the best RPGs ever made, for ANY platform.

The story is great. The characters are memorable. There is a metric asston of sidequests to get caught up in. There is a cool skill system which allows characters to create their own weapons, customise existing weapons, write books, cook food, paint, sculpt, and even summon a big giant bunny as a means of transportation.

SO2 has got it all.
Quote:It's amazing how much gameplay was packed in there

The only problem is that for those of us who like to "do it all" in a game, you need to replay it several times. I like to play my games into the ground before I shelve them, and this game has such variety that I think I'll be working on it for a while.

I second, it is certainly one of the best examples of console RPGs.
Mmm, heavy syncopation!
-TheDragoon