City of Heroes nears launch...
WarLocke,Apr 22 2004, 03:05 PM Wrote:removing all your friends is the current recommended workaround.
I'd say something about such a workaround being highly ironic in a MMOG, but I won't ^_^

Anyway, to everyone's surprise, including my own, I've ordered this game.

*Gasps*

This came after a long discusion with my brother, of all people ( I say this because he's rather lefty, so a "pay per play" scheme is not something I'd say he thinks interesting). Although the details are uninteresting for you, it comes down to this: I don't dislike MMORPGs for being MMO and the monthly fees, rather that I'm pretty weary of the Diablo cloning of the fantasy genre. CoH seems like a good way to find out about my stance on MMOGs.

So, I'll see you on the servers :ph34r:
Quote:I'd say something about such a workaround being highly ironic in a MMOG, but I won't.

Go ahead, I think it's ironic too. Apparently with the last patch something was set wrong with the Friends list refresh rate, so it was constantly sending requests to all your friends to see if they were online. It would spike my ping up over 2100, and I'd get disconnected from the mapserver after 15 seconds or so. After clearing out my list (taking 3 or 4 logins) I'm back to only the occassional 56k lagspike.

Quote:rather that I'm pretty weary of the Diablo cloning of the fantasy genre. CoH seems like a good way to find out about my stance on MMOGs.

If CoH will be your first MMORPG, you chose a good one. Besides the whole 'fantasy clone' aspect of most others, CoH doesn't adhere to many of the more asinine gameplay elements (camping, loot, etc.); it's like bottled fun. B)

I just booted up AW on Prime one last time (okay, so I want to see the invasion tonight, so second-to-last time) to run a couple missions, and I got sucked into (the end of) a Clockwork story arc. Not only are the story arcs damn cool, but I'm finally starting to see some new mission tilesets - those Star Trek-esque laboratory tilesets are awesome. :lol:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Thank god I have vacation tomorrow, it'll be around 4am in here when the invasion begins.

Also, what's your levels?

Mine is a level 9 Magic Controller called The Mistress (After 1:30 hours of customizing I left all my creativity at home :D).

I'll try to make contact with you fellas, WarLocke: Atomic Woman (right?) and LD: Half-Cocked.

Anyone else wishes to add his name? We should get everyone together for the invasion and fight the Rikiti!

EDIT: I'm on Justice, silly me forgot to say it :rolleyes:
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
appearenceappearenceHi

I must say CoH is "Major Fun" it is different than Most MMORPG's. The graphics are great, the character creation is a Game in it's self, you could spend an Hour making a Colorfull character . I've not see 1 character that looked like another...in most RPG's your appearence changes as you level up and get to wear higher level armor...not in CoH, your characters appearence will stay the same for the rest of it's life. :wub:

My character...>Nankor is on Pinnalle he is Huge, Muscular & in a all Leather White costume. He is a Magic/Scrapper and has just soloed to lv 5, 1 more level & then "I" can Fly, this is what I want to do Most, it will be a "Dream" come true "Pun Intened", I'm sure we all dreamed we were flying at least once in our sleep...I'm not sure what/when or kind of Magic I will get, right now I'm Pure Melee fighter :P

I found it took longer to level up in CoH than in most games for the first 5 levels, which is a plus, combat is not all that difficult, I can take out 3 Bad Guys [Mobs] that are 1 char level above me. I haven't died yet, I guess I will take one of my other low characters lv 2 and experience Death for future reference. :o

I'm still learning which are the best skill enchantment combo's for my char. What is great there is No Down time, I did have to Run a few times to avoid Death because I was out of Heals. This is one game you'll never run out of Quests, if quests are your thingy. ;)

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
WarLocke,Apr 22 2004, 06:05 AM Wrote:Also, be sure to be online tonight from 7-9 CST.  The Invasion is on!  B)
I have a meeting at 7:30 CST . Typical. I may be able to show up for the last hour of the invasion though.

Well, I'm going to suggest we all try to get our names on all the servers that come up on Sunday at 12 CST, then pick the least populated one that also has all our names. Mr. Tsunami is going to be peeved, since he so wanted me to "just pick one already, who cares about names", but that's his problem, because the rest of us care about both names and playability.

Donna Matrix has a forum for us to talk about all this on, by the way. I'll PM you the address.
May I suggest picking an East Coast server (if there's such a thing, i.e., if you actually know the location of the servers)? Probably better for the Europeans *cough*me*cough* ;)

I don't think anyone will pick Walkiry, and I've never had a problem coming up with names anyway ^_^
TaiDaishar:
Quote:Also, what's your levels?

The Atomic Woman on Prime (just 'Atomic Woman' for /tell purposes) is a level 17 Invulnerability/Super Strength Tank. I have versions of her on Justice and Name Reservation/Victory, but at level 1. :(

King Jim:
Quote:My character...>Nankor is on Pinnalle he is Huge, Muscular & in a all Leather White costume. He is a Magic/Scrapper and has just soloed to lv 5, 1 more level & then "I" can Fly, this is what I want to do Most, it will be a "Dream" come true "Pun Intened", I'm sure we all dreamed we were flying at least once in our sleep...I'm not sure what/when or kind of Magic I will get, right now I'm Pure Melee fighter

Technically, at level 6 you can only get Hover, and not Fly. Hover is better than Fly in most every way (it uses virtually no Endurance, you have better movement control with it, and it has a Defense bonus where Fly has an Accuracy penalty) except that it's very slow. It's still a useful power, and you'll use it often even once you have Fly, but Fly is definitely the movement power of the set.

That said, have fun! It's a great power. B)

LiquidDamage:
Quote:Donna Matrix has a forum for us to talk about all this on, by the way. I'll PM you the address.

On it.

Walkiry:
Quote: May I suggest picking an East Coast server (if there's such a thing, i.e., if you actually know the location of the servers)? Probably better for the Europeans *cough*me*cough*

I don't think it's been announced where, geographically, each server is located (yet, I guess). There's been some talk of Name Reservation/Victory being the 'unofficial European server' but I don't know if that started because it's on/near the East Coast or whether it was just chosen randomly.
It seems I am alone in the server, should've asked before I picked a server... ah well

Quote:with the ability to lift Volkswagons over her head

My Controller not only can lift cars and bulldozers, she can also CREATE the things she throw.

Quite a nice skill I may add, you create a random derby and throw it at someone, extremely sweet throwing cars and bulldozers and look at the enemy knocked back around 4 meters with the highest damage ever possible :D.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Well, I didn't get to participate in any of the really epic invasion battles, because by the time I logged on all of the Atlas Parks were full. I here there were some intense level 30+ fights in Founders Falls too, but no way could I get in there. Anyway, I hopped zones for awhile and eventually ended up in King's Row 2, where there was a deluge of level 8-12 Rikti portalling in.

Now, the Atomic Woman was a bit overleveled for King's Row (she was level 17), but with all the characters running around and power effects going off, I was lucky to get 2 frames per second. It really was total chaos. I only managed to get one nice, clear picture of a Rikti grunt.

However, I strayed from the mob of 40 or 50 characters in the immediate area (I wanted to get away from the battle and let my client stabilize, I was afraid of crashing) and ran into Commander Skar, a named Rikti Archvillain run by a developer (Skar was a level 8 Science Blaster, and was taking 1 or 2 points of damage per hit). I had about 30 seconds to tank him all by myself before the crowd caught up. There was at one point at least 30 people all attacking him, and even then I don't think we actually defeated him - he eventually teleported away.

It was a very neat event, and I wish my rig had allowed me to enjoy it more. I'm definitely going to have to pony up the dough for an Athlon 3200 now. <_<

Also, I figured I'd throw up some images from the totally rocking sci-fi laboratory mission environment while I'm doing this. First we have this neat computer console that looks to me like a cross between Star Trek and Earth: Final Conflict tech, very stylish. Then we have this neat danger hologram flashing at the entrance to a corridor. It's a really neat effect to see in action. And finally, we have some sort of lit tunnel thingy that reminds me of something from Event Horizon for some reason. You can also sort of see the Stealth visual effect on AW in that image.

Man, I don't know if I can tough it out to Sunday... :D
WarLocke,Apr 23 2004, 04:00 AM Wrote:First we have this neat computer console that looks to me like a cross between Star Trek and Earth: Final Conflict tech, very stylish.
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the female figures in this game have legs that go all the way to the floor?? ;)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
WarLocke,Apr 22 2004, 08:00 PM Wrote:Man, I don't know if I can tough it out to Sunday...&nbsp; :D
I know the feeling...

But I do have work to do, so I actually welcome the break from CoH.

I got to fight some Rikti, but there were 30 or so people there. By the time my power finished winding up, the thing was dead.

I also probably annoyed the hell out of a dev by trying to invite a Rikti commander into my team, the supergroup, and then as a sidekick. He declined them all. :)
LochnarITB,Apr 22 2004, 11:12 PM Wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the female figures in this game have legs that go all the way to the floor??&nbsp;&nbsp; ;)
All the way to the floor? Well, I hope so! Or are you trying to imply something there? :P

Quote:I also probably annoyed the hell out of a dev by trying to invite a Rikti commander into my team, the supergroup, and then as a sidekick. He declined them all.

Bwaha, I didn't think to try that! It was great seeing Skar broadcast all this alien drivel, and I was all like, "Come get some!" B)
Quote:It was a very neat event, and I wish my rig had allowed me to enjoy it more. I'm definitely going to have to pony up the dough for an Athlon 3200 now.

I told ya, it's not your rig, it's the 56k connection that's killing you. Even on my old rig(333 MHz, if you can believe that), the difference between 34/56/cable was astounding. If you're running anything higher than 1500 MHz(my current system is Athlon 1800, I used to underclock it to 1500 to keep it alive a little longer), upgrading the system won't do anything for server/client lag. At least, for most decent games.
Quote:Man, I don't know if I can tough it out to Sunday...

OK, let's see if you guys can help me here.

I ordered this thing over an import outlet and got an E-mail with the confirmation and a code. I already had a PlayNC account (from the Lineage beta) so I went and entered the key there.

Now it says in the games part:

GAME ACCOUNT PASSWORD VERSION
City of Heroes Walkiry RESET PREORDER

So, I guess now I could log in with the Pre-order CD and play (well, when the servers come back to life), right?

I'll have to find a place to download an iso then ;)
Well, that event was quite disappointing although it was one hell of a stress on the servers, in King's Row at Justice you saw the cars/citizens move in little "jumps" through space :).

Oh the agony, I don't have the money to buy the game! But, perhaps, if god is willing I'll get a job at the summer and get enough money :D.
AtomicKitKat,Apr 23 2004, 01:50 AM Wrote:I told ya, it's not your rig, it's the 56k connection that's killing you.
While that may be part of it, I'm 95% certain my real problem is graphics chug. Even on a 56k connection I can play just fine with a 400-500 ping, it's only when you get 20+ people/things moving around onscreen that my framerate starts wallowing around like Anna Nicole Smith.

Quote:So, I guess now I could log in with the Pre-order CD and play (well, when the servers come back to life), right?

Yes, for the head start you just log in normally with your preorder account (assuming you've already downloaded and patched the client). After the 27th you'll need a retail CD-key to switch your preorder account over to a retail one.
Found some message board threads with invasion screenshots. Enjoy!

Here

Here

And Here

EDIT: Found another one on COH Portal. Some real nice Rikti images there.
WarLocke,Apr 23 2004, 02:38 PM Wrote:Yes, for the head start you just log in normally with your preorder account (assuming you've already downloaded and patched the client).
Ah. That might be a problem, I can no longer download the beta client :lol:

We'll see if they have it up an running on the 25th for us to download, there's plenty of time ^_^
Hi

Where do I find Information for Game play, I found Combine Enchantments by accident...note my Manual that came with the Zip does not load I keep getting this Error message:
Wordpad has caused an Error in MSWRD832.cnv...this is the frist time this ever happened :(

After quitting the game, to desktop, I find the game or maybe it's the login client is still running, after a few minutes I see it is Not reponding. I close it using ctrl/alt/del Program...if I try to turn off my comp at this point I get Black screen...note I have WinME :(

Where do I report Bugs ? :P

Last night I did not get to see the Invasion I tried to stay in the game for 2 hours then gave up...I would get the same darn message: Map [something] is Disconnected. I guess the Stress was too much for their servers <_<

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Quote: While that may be part of it, I'm 95% certain my real problem is graphics chug. Even on a 56k connection I can play just fine with a 400-500 ping

I'm quite sure none would've helped you in there, it wasn't your graphics nor was it your connection, it was the server itself, the stress test made with that invasion probably failed, the servers were no match for it and that's why I, at least, got horrendous lag even at places where there was no one at.