Questions about the voting system in USA
Quote:I think Jarulf took an unwarranted beating out of the blue, but that's just my opinion

Troll!

No opinions here please!

(you had it coming) ;)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
:) I think we can all look at our respective nations politicians and find them wanting. Sometimes it takes a "special" kind of person to want to be in politics.

I lived through the times of Ronald Reagan presidency, when in the face of nuclear armegeddon he wanted to put short and medium range nuclear missiles in Germany, seriously uping the ante in the mutually assured destruction (MAD) gambit. Now many people are looking back at that time as when the US finally demonstrated to the Soviets that we were really, really serious. Everyone was pretty terrified for awhile.

[segue to a philosophical tangent]
The current events of the world are due to a myriad of actions and inactions performed by many nations. It is no use to play the "what if" game concerning the past, but very useful to play "what if" from the context of the future. If you can choose the future end point you desire, and then work backwards to the present. Take terrorism as an example. There are some who are looking at direct action against terrorists and those that (or might be inclined to) supply with aid as a way to foment future aggression, and then the opposite camp that looks at anything that stirs up the anger of the "arab street" as a way of increasing terrorism. As I see it, in each case you need to decide what you can do, and then if you will do it, and if it will get you closer to your desired goal. I think the Clinton administration demonstrated that terrorism does not decrease with inaction, so maybe action is what is required. I don't know.

As a world citizen here are some things I would like to see all governments do, starting with my own.

1) Take action to minimize the impact of humanity on the environment meaning pollution, permanent destruction to ecosystems, and global warming.
2) Work together to create a common framework and cooperation for inter-nation criminal justice (crimes, punishments, extradition).
3) Tangibly promote peace by using the UN for its intended purpose and stop incenting nations to buy weapons.
4) Share our good fortune -- we can do more to ease the strife and malaise of poorer nations by feeding and clothing them in the present, and then helping them to curb unrestrained growth, and increase their productivity.
5) De-emphasize consumption as a mechanism for growth -- not meaning to debunk capitalism, just that I believe the quest of human endeavor is not linked to double digit increases in the GDP -- so I would desire than that we come to more value things like education, peace, art, science, innovation and other pursuits which bring to people a sense of accomplishment.
[/segue]

I was listening to a radio program yesterday which was interviewing people from a small town in France, where the Kerry (as in John Kerry) family has roots. The majority said something akin to "We are fed up with Bush". Which was the sentiment I was expecting to hear. Some addressed their perceived folly of the Iraq war. Some recalled the liberation of France whose 60th anniversary is drawing nigh. No one interviewed could understand why so many Americans were angry with France. To me, this sounds like what happens when people do not communicate directly with one another. As world citizens we need to have a dialog about substantive issues, and not rant over Bush, Blair, or Chirac -- or for that matter "representative democracy" vs "parlimentary democracy". One way or another it is "WE" who influence the decisions (and election) of our leaders and it is "WE" who must come to a consensus. Some of our perils are too great for old nationalistic fervor to be our obstacles.

Edit: AKK -- not hooked on phonics.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

As an American who converses and speaks frankly with anyone, I'm just used to the predominent "USA $uck$" attitude. I guess I'm used to the whip and now I just wince a little. I'm more than a little ashamed with myself for not correcting the Europeans I meet who mistake me for being Canadian because I am articulate, and do not fit their stereotype of "The Ugly American".
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

But I agree with you and felt there was a derogatory tone to the initial question as well. Since the answer had already been given in a thorough and complete manner I decided to steer clear until things calmed down as well.

I did find it interesting how many jumped to both parties' defense. I mean, after all, both Jarulf and Occhi are very capable of defending their own actions.... ;)

Just my [Image: twocents.gif] on the subject.

*braces for impact* :D
Occhidiangela,Feb 19 2004, 05:36 PM Wrote:So, who has the real influence and power?  The Council, appointed by their home governments, or the Parliament?

Any EU afficianados care to answer that?
The Council is the central legislation body. The EU Parliament is involved in legislation, but only in certain areas of legislation. To ultimately stop a Council decision, the Parliament needs an absolute majority of its members. If that majority cannot be achieved, the Council "has the last word". In the important financial questions, the Council *always* has the last word.

The EU parliament used to be a joke. It was awarded some more power with some of the more recent EU treaties.

The Commission (the executive) also holds alot of influence. It is completely independent from the member states.

But the real power is still within the national governments. The powerful member states (France and Germany) can afford to pretty much ignore EU decisions if they really want to. And they can press through "exceptions" (e.g. Germany was not punished for failure to fullfill currency stability criteria, although all relevant treaties demanded such a punishment quite clearly).
Thanks for the insight. I recall one of the concerns about adopting the euro being the dominant position of the Bundesbank. It is no surprise that, like the UN, the ability to apply sanctions is not infrequently hamstrung in the case of "the big dudes on the block." Is the general sentiment in UK still the same regarding the euro as it was back in, say, 1997?

Growing pains, perhaps?

Ah, the EC. OK, Romano Prodi was the PM in Italy for most of the time when I lived there, his background being IIRC finance and economics. As I recall the election that knocked him out of the box, the coalition that helped put him into power was generally centrist and a bit of left, to include the Italian Communist Party. Late in his term, I was aware that the Communist Party (7-11% of Parliament at the time I think) basically left his coalition over a few matters, labor issues I think, that they felt he had backed down on.

So, he and his 19 colleagues appear to serve in much the same way a US cabinet officer serves. He is appointed, or selected from a series of candidates, by the heads of governments, but must pass the Parliamentary approval process in order to be approved.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
"Acronym
Definition@Amazon.com

SEGWAY
Maybe you're looking for the word 'segue' (pronounced segway)?

SEGWAY
Science Education Gateway Program "

Funnily enough, my 1991 edition of the New Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus has neither spelling, although I'm pretty sure I heard the word being thrown about before then.

Maybe it's got something to do with that company making those motorised scooters?
noster tempero