Disaster strikes Diabloii.net.
Bowie: I only post here, lol.

Ok, I post in other forums, but they're totally unrelated (cars, bridge, laws...)
whereagles,Feb 11 2004, 09:46 AM Wrote:Damn... I was hoping the disaster was like a complete shut down of their ISP. Too bad it's just a few files missing lol! Such a bunch of retards.
You completely missed my point.

As I am a member at DiabloII.net, I didn't care for the tone of your post.

I feel it was childish and unneccessary.

NB <_<
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long
Hum... funny.. I don't know what to reply. I won't say anything then. Probably not worth the trouble anyway...
I'm going to have to agree with Nasty Bowie on this one. I don't post at Diabloii.net, either because I don't particularly like some of their rules, but I would definately not go so far as to call them all retards.
whereagles,Feb 12 2004, 03:37 PM Wrote:I don't know what to reply. I won't say anything then. Probably not worth the trouble anyway...
Well, since you did reply without saying anything meaningful....

Let me make a suggestion: How about saying "Oops. I am sorry. I will do better next time."

:)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Obi2Kenobi,Feb 12 2004, 04:12 PM Wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Nasty Bowie on this one. I don't post at Diabloii.net, either because I don't particularly like some of their rules, but I would definately not go so far as to call them all retards.
Obi2,

Just curious, which rules do you dislike?

Nastie :rolleyes:
Dii.net is, or was, immense. If you hung around a particular forum, you could meet some interesting people.

The General and OT forums had too high an idiocy content, but as you point out, there were some very intelligent commentaries now and again.

I thought Gaile and Elly and the gang did a creditable job at trying to be all things to all people, which is a hard criterion to fill. The noise level just got to be too high for me to spend any more time there.

The guides tend to have too much shopping list and not enough tactics and strategy, though I did get a few of my suggestions into a Trapper Guide. :)

All in all, you can usually find something interesting there if you look hard enough, and want to wade through spam.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
What's the matter ppl? Can't you read the small print?

Of course not everybody at d2.net are retards. I just called them that because most are, though I do agree it's a bit of an exaggerated generalization. You don't need to take it literally. If you know where you stand and know what you are, you shouldn't feel offended. You know what? If I were still posting there and someone called d2.net retards, I'd definitely agree, lol.

Funny... sometime ago I read that people who spend too much time in front of a puter lack imagination and have difficulties interpreting metaphores. Guess now I know what they meant.
"figures of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them." (Broadly, figurative language.) 2. "An object or idea treated as a metaphor."

OK, please explain it to me, the coffee has not kicked in yet. How is an over generalization the same as a metaphor that needs interpretation? Metaphor is a form of imagery, overgeneralization is typically classed as hyperbole or overstatement. :) And how does Bowie's displeasure with your generalization of his friends at d2.net as retards indicate that he can't interpret metaphors?

Talk to me.

EDIT: For atrocious spelling and grammar. Silly me, when I was nit picking like a grammarian. :P
In Memory of Pete
Diinet is indeed huge. There is a much more diversified age group frequenting thier forums, than here. Gaile, Elly & Co. have quite a task keeping things in line, and are to be commended for thier efforts. Middle school mentality is rampant on the forums, and can be a pain in the arse to deal with. In the time I have spent there, I have learned who is who, and I know who I can discuss things with intelligently, and who the trolls are.

I have a vivid imagination, and can understand many things, including metaphors. whereagles original comments were tasteless, rude and utterly unneccessary, imho. In short, behavior unbecoming to this website. I didn't misunderstand or miss any key points, as far as I can see. I would react in a similar fashion to rudeness directed at any respectable entity, not just diinet.

I didn't need to read your comment, whereagles, and I don't think anyone here needed to read it, either.
Quote:I didn't need to read your comment, whereagles, and I don't think anyone here needed to read it, either

You did not need to read it, perhaps, but maybe some folks needed to read it to be reminded that we can all make rude comments and can look foolish, crass, or otherwise low rent in our exerecise of free speech on this forum. It appears from the feedback that accountability is not in jeopardy here. ;)
In Memory of Pete
Nasty Bowie, namely the no off-site linking and the "all your post content are belong to us" policies.
Thanks for the info, Oby2.

I wasn't aware of the "post content belongs to us".

Hmm ... interesting.

NB :rolleyes:
It's still not a good policy, in general, for LL posters to bash other sites here. So, regardless of their policies, I think your first instinct was correct, Nastie.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Dang. I was going to try to start a round-robin poem here, but if Dii.net owns my poem...eeevil.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Feb 16 2004, 10:47 AM Wrote:Dang.&nbsp; I was going to try to start a round-robin poem here, but if Dii.net owns my poem...eeevil.
Thanks, Griselda. Not to be defensive about DiabloII.net, I am being defensive of respected sites in general. Had it been the 'Basin or Diablo2.com etc, my response would have been of the same tone.

Lady Vashi, I think the situation and the moderator's personality would affect how far the rule gets pushed. As with any "peace officer".

NB :rolleyes:
Bowie: I don't think the administrators at D2.net do a good job. You see, I had a quarrel with one of them and didn't like the way I was treated. In fact, I think the admin was a total jerk.

So.. you might still find my original remark unnecessary, but now you know one of the things that motivated it.
Hmm ... you had a disagreement with an Admin, there, and your bubbling personality got you banned. I still don't see where that gives you the right to call an entire organisation "a bunch of retards."

As two of my fellow Site Administrators and several members have confirmed my position on this subject, I suggest that this be the last post on this. You are standing in a hole and digging it deeper.

Please read the Etiquette, FAQ and Rules links at the top of this and every page on these forums, and refrain from such comments, in the future.

NB <_<
Actualy the site does contain a lot of decent info that was compiled over there years. (Ok, some was stolen) but I visited that site frequently to suit my D2 needs back in the day.

The community as I have said repeatedly isn't that bad, and is far from "a bunch of retards". There are quite a few over there that have my "respect" However the incessant screaming of morons (present everywhere, really) somtimes becomes too shrill for my liking. The only real problem is the somewhat unreasonable rules and selective enforcement which people were banned over petty issues while others continue to make a ruckus yet nothing is done. (If your wondering, there's a sticky thread somewhere in the Amazon Basin poking fun of them. :))

Ok, that's it. *exits thread*
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Bowie, you have no right to talk to me like that. You don't know anything about my quarrel with D2.net, so why don't you just shut up and stop insulting my personality?

You know what? I sick and tired of you and your self-appointed arrogance for saying what's right or wrong around here. I don't even know you, so there's no way I'm gonna let you lecture me. Who the hell do you think you are?

Let's finish this quick. Summon the Lounge administrators and have them vote on me leaving or staying.