Disaster strikes Diabloii.net.
Well, the venerable Diabloii.net one of the few other serious Diablo 2 forums have just recently had an accident of rather large proportions.

Basically it has been completely wiped of all posts and threads. Even the backups were corrupt.
That's funny, I was just browsing through DIInet and it all looked fine...

Uh... Why is everyone staring at me? :blink:
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Try to open any thread that is older than a day and you will learn.

Basically their database decided to delete itself and all their backups were corrupt.
It's true. No members were deleted (I don't think; I wasn't), and everyone still kept their old post count, but no posts more than a day old can be accessed.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Well thank God the postcount is intact!!
:unsure:
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Lady Vashj,Jan 28 2004, 10:22 AM Wrote:It's true.  No members were deleted (I don't think; I wasn't), and everyone still kept their old post count, but no posts more than a day old can be accessed.
I wonder if it was a cost cutting measure.

I know they took a big hit, when they dropped the google ads.

I see a couple of threads about people donating, today. I guess the War III forum is on the block for lack of participation, also.

Best of luck to them!

NB :rolleyes:
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long
I just posted there like two days ago. (I almost never post there anymore.) Must be a conspiracy.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
What's worse is that it appears to have gone down again today. Looks like the same errors as yesterday. Hope the database tables didn't get hosed again (and that they have a good backup this time...)

<geek>
Maybe it's time to invest in a DLT drive or something? I've had very good luck with them over the years.
</geek>
This is the internet, where all things are ephemeral. Saving posts on dii.net beyond a few days is like saving navel lint: Pointless, but of value to some few folks.

Their guides, on the other hand, are hopefully still up. There are, or used to be, a few decent bits of info in some of the guides there.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jan 30 2004, 06:52 AM Wrote:This is the internet, where all things are ephemeral.&nbsp; Saving posts on dii.net beyond a few days is like saving navel lint: Pointless, but of value to some few folks.
Very true, for the most part. This applies to all forums as a general rule. There are those unusual threads, though.

Don't the guides hit here first? ;)

NB :lol:
Nastie_Bowie,Jan 31 2004, 10:27 AM Wrote:There are those unusual threads, though.
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/messag...ageid=936561995
[Image: 25908kuenZ.png]
Nastie_Bowie,Jan 31 2004, 05:27 PM Wrote:Very true, for the most part. This applies to all forums as a general rule. There are those unusual threads, though.
The Community Poem. By the time of the forum dump, basically the only active thread in the FFF. Thank God that it was mostly saved...
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Unless I've got a really bad memory, they have cleared/changed forum software like 10 times, so this isn't much of a deal.

The bigger tragedy is the design on the forums is among the worst I've ever seen (I'll refrain to using a hundred insults, which I think it deserves :().
adamantine,Feb 2 2004, 03:33 PM Wrote:Unless I've got a really bad memory, they have cleared/changed forum software like 10 times, so this isn't much of a deal.

The bigger tragedy is the design on the forums is among the worst I've ever seen (I'll refrain to using a hundred insults, which I think it deserves :().
and add the fact that throught the site it links to varrous discussions on the forum, but when you clit it, it woln't let you READ them...
ther should be an anomyus, read only, guest acount configured through those links.
The wind has no destination.
Nightwind,Feb 2 2004, 07:56 PM Wrote:but when you clit it, it woln't let you READ them...
Nice Freudian slip there :D
Quote:and add the fact that throught the site it links to varrous discussions on the forum, but when you clit it, it woln't let you READ them...
ther should be an anomyus, read only, guest acount configured through those links.

Did you mean not to spell check, or preview? : And -- Through out -- various -- click -- wouldn't -- There -- account -- anonymous -- not mentioning sentence structure.

30% error rate is pretty high. Maybe you need less gaming time and more study time.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

That was a nice walk down memory lane. :)

I had not seen this fellow in a while.

Quote:April 9 2001 at 6:23 AM Spiderdrake&nbsp;&nbsp; (Login Spiderdrake) from IP address 206.47.244.60

I'll give you a 7 for drama, an 8 for a style, but a 2 for substance
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 7 2004, 07:36 PM Wrote:That was a nice walk down memory lane. :)

I had not seen this fellow in a while.

Quote:April 9 2001 at 6:23 AM Spiderdrake &nbsp; (Login Spiderdrake) from IP address 206.47.244.60

I'll give you a 7 for drama, an 8 for a style, but a 2 for substance
He's still a regular poster over at SA.
Damn... I was hoping the disaster was like a complete shut down of their ISP. Too bad it's just a few files missing lol! Such a bunch of retards.
whereagles,Feb 11 2004, 09:46 AM Wrote:Damn... I was hoping the disaster was like a complete shut down of their ISP. Too bad it's just a few files missing lol! Such a bunch of retards.
And what do you say about the Lurker Lounge in other forums?

NB :angry: