Any Beyond Good & Evil owners about?
I was in Wal-Mart a few days ago (pricing DVD players, woot!) and noticed a few Beyond Good & Evil boxes on the PC shelf. The game's only been out a few months, and it's already marked down to $19.99. :(

I've heard nothing but good about this game from reviews and different discussions of it I've come across in the net. But, I figured I'd ask if anyone has played it here before I purchase it, since Wal-Mart has a "no returns of opened software" policy.

For those who may now know about it, BG&E is a very Zelda-ish adventure/platformer, with several other game-types (stealth, piloting/racing, photography) that are supposedly very well interwoven into it. The art quality is also amazing, and it's supposed to have very nice voice-acting.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
I've seen Wagner's house!

Seriously, who the hell was brazen enough to name their game 'Beyond Good and Evil'?

Sorry WarLocke, never played it...
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
I bought it for the GameCube, and promptly pawned it off (along with Gladius) to the local GameStop for Need For Speed: Underground.

It's just another Zelda, except that it's not innovative or fun like The Wind Waker. Combat is excessively repetitive and boring, and the game is made ridiculously easy due to a waypoint system (e.g., if you die at any point, you respawn at the entrance of the room you just entered.) Personally, I'd save your $20 and get something else with it.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:It's just another Zelda, except that it's not innovative or fun like The Wind Waker.

That's just it, though. I don't own a console, and the last Zelda I played was A Link to the Past.

Did you find BG&E just a bad game, or are your complaints more that it's a Zelda derivative? If the latter, I may pick it up (noticed that my game library consists of ~65% RPGs and ~30% RTS/strategy/tactics games; I need some good old-fashioned platforming/adventure time B) ).
BG&E is a solid game if you don't demand that it exceed its borderline action-RPG genre. Despite the innovative bits woven into the gameplay, it's a standard adventure game. It honestly reminded of Jak & Daxter II, with a more likable protagonist and less to do, than a hardcore Zelda-ish game. I would say it's worth $20, but its competition on both sides (Knights of the Old Republic for RPGs, Prince of Persia for action-adventure) are superior.
I think I'll go ahead and pick it up. I'd hate to decide to buy it later and then find out that it's no longer being sold (a $20 pricetag this soon after release doesn't bode well for additional printing runs or a sequel)...
...do two things:
1) Pick up Prince of Persia.
2) Tell me how both are. ;) Especially Beyond Good & Evil,. I've been eyeing it, but held off for now. Didn't appeal, yet.

BTW - PA had this to say about Prince of Persia:
"It looks and plays brilliantly. It has a good story that ends extremely well. The combat is siphoned directly from adolescent ninja fantasies. #$%&, it's even funny. How they managed to capture the spirit of classic platformers - not just the original Princes, but the entire play concept - is simply beyond me. More games should be this good, we should demand it of developers and they should demand it from themselves."
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Jan 23 2004, 12:43 AM Wrote:...do two things:
1) Pick up Prince of Persia.
2) Tell me how both are. ;) Especially Beyond Good & Evil,. I've been eyeing it, but held off for now. Didn't appeal, yet.
I've said it in this forum already, but I'll just say it again. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time almost made me cry of joy when playing it. The main reason was not that it has a high number of excellent qualities, but also that I played the original back in the day, and when playing the newest one I just kept thinking "This is IT, this is the perfect modern sequel of a classic!".
Quote:1) Pick up Prince of Persia.

Unfortunately, PoP is still priced at $49 at Wal-Mart, and likely EB as well. I don't have quite enough expendable cash to afford it right now. :(

Quote:Especially Beyond Good & Evil,. I've been eyeing it, but held off for now. Didn't appeal, yet.

Well, you're in luck. I just got home with it, so I'll post impressions later. B)
My Windows copy of Escape Velocity Nova is now registered. Originally, Ambrosia wanted people to "upgrade" their Mac Liscence codes to Windows---I think. That didn't appeal to me. Yesterday, I looked at the purchase forms and there was no difference for Windows/Mac codes!!! Plus, an option to email lost codes! Woohoo!

Btw: Just what do your plug-ins do Warlocke?

I see the names, but I don't understand.

<I>Edit: Ok I now see I've posted in the wrong thread. Ahhh!!!!! </i> Ahem.

Well, its still news to any current or former Mac users with a registered Macintosh EV Nova... but now have a PC.
Heh.

SecondaryCPL just turns the Polaris Capacitor Pulse Laser into a secondary weapon. Normally it's not worth putting other primary weapons other than CPLs on a ship because you have to fire all your primaries together - and CPLs gobble fuel like Anna Nicole at a buffet.

MissileRacks simulates rack reloading - the way missiles work by default, ships can fire a continuous spray, which didn't seem too realistic to me. I changed things around so that after you fired 1, 2, or 4 missiles (depending on type) you have to wait for the racks to 'reload' before you can fire again. I tweaked some missile damages to make up for the slower firing rate, too. There's a readme in the zip that has more detailed information.