A Lurking Manifesto
Quote:I see World of Warcraft as an upcoming prime candidate

World of Warcraft? We had better get moving! Blizzard is going to go into beta test any day now. But seriously, This may be the next game I get. I would definitely get it if I actually got in the beta.

You are right Bolty, ideally, adding a new game should not be a burden. I applaud your courage to delegate some tasks at the risk of losing a bit of control. You do seem a bit hard on yourself, but I think people achieve more if they are their own worst critic.
Pu uhonua,Dec 8 2003, 09:20 PM Wrote:World of Warcraft?  We had better get moving!  Blizzard is going to go into beta test any day now.
Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!

*wipes away tear*

-Bolty

P.S. I'm being facetious, no insult intended. :)
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
... I want this site to stay around forever .... or at least til the next patch :P !
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
... I want this site to stay around forever .... or at least til the next patch

Isn't the former exactly identical to the latter?
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,Dec 9 2003, 02:25 PM Wrote: ... I want this site to stay around forever .... or at least til the next patch

Isn't the former exactly identical to the latter?
:D exactly ... thats why I stuck my tongue out ;) !
Stormrage :
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
This site had not better go poof!!

BOLTY!, stop being hard on your self if it was not for you where would we be... this site like a red headed step-son that we love to beat down with a feather, i cant imagine not having the L.L, mind you i wanted rip slash dot new anus but... what can i say, there are not many people out there that has done something like you have you brought us together, made aplace where we can be are selfs and get away from the 1337 talk..{ helll i dont know anything in that lingo its all greek to me and down right idiotic to!}
scared the hell out of me when i saw 404 error page for good 2 months{mind you i been away for awhile and i just started up playing d2 ladder mater fact 3 days ago that i started to play again on my friend comps but still no luck on getting my own computer.}

I am just glad i went to the basin and asked WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LURKERLOUNGE!!, of course they laughed and coughed because i was in a panic to find out what happened.. then i find your thread, this place not a regular website, its place where we can grab a game with friends talk about life and not worry about idiots!
If i sound emotional, sorry but i rather not engage a place where i dont know what ways up or what the rules, i know the rules here and i really do try to adhere to them, but you all know my condition... and you have helped me all try to find programs that can help me become a good poster!
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
Wiccan,Dec 9 2003, 09:33 PM Wrote:This site had not better go poof!!
One of the things I found amusing about this thread is that people didn't seem to fully read what Bolty was saying, or at least understood it.

Bolty has said the site isn't going away. He's saying he wants people to help him make the site better. By adding other to do the content updates, he can concentrate on keeping the site running and not have to handle everything himself by doing the content as well.

I'd love to help Bolty out (and have donated to the Lounge fund) but I'm a busy guy and couldn't offer to help with content. Not too mention I'm pretty much done with Diablo II now and moved onto other things. I think all in all I bought four seperate copies of Diablo II. I was a pretty addicted and dedicated fan.

I still visit this place everyday, however. I'm very much a lurker and will probably continue to be one.

I hope Bolty finds the team he's looking for and we'll seem some great contributions to the content here.
/// Zoid.
Hail glorious Webmaster, Lurker Lounge Technical Leader, (hopefully for long) Diablo II Site Administrator, Forum Administartor and Site Founder...

We all want you to stay. You created something very special here, and many of us wouldn't want to miss your contribution to it. Although you said you will still play a role, I cannot see why you're being taking it so hard!
Maybe LL was down sometimes. It wasn't always your fault, as far as I can see...
Maybe you didn't contribute so much at times, simply because you didn't have the time or the will to. That's quite normal, and given that the site also lives from your personal touch, I can't quite imagine the site not being under your personal control anymore.
If you simply can't afford the time you'd have to spend on the site: Bad luck for us.
Hopefully your private 'level up' will prove to be something very positive for your life, be it job-wise or love-wise...
If you choose your compensation yourself, these guys will probably do a good job, too.
If they come from this secret glade of legitness, I have no doubt in this regard.
But I don't think that you spoiled anything by 'selfishly' treating what has always been your 'baby' anyway.
I have not been a member for long in comparison to others, and my 'mileage' is not high.
Nevertheless I wanted to express my feelings for the future that you prognose for our lurkerlounge, and I'm certain that some of the more respected members can add their 2 cents, too.

PS: Lurkerlounge is not only its forums, I like your editorials aswell, and it is a home to many a good guide and of course the bible... So I'd say it's around 1/2 about the forums, 1/4 about the site content and 1/4 about the personal touch that the moderators and administrators (come to think of it - that is you) put into their contributions. One reason more for you to stay (active)! ;)

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Excellent! Can we nominate people? :P Okay, I know that any nomination is beside-the-point, since final decision will depend on Bolty and the candidates. Still, in case any of the following are wondering if they have enough gravitas to suggest themselves, let me note, as a moderately-long-time lurker, that I have enjoyed reading posts by (and suspect that these would make good admins) the following:

Jarulf (duh).
Occhi
Pete
Ruvanal
Shadow HM
Spiderdrake, if he ever comes back
Dragoon
Channel1
Nico
Tommi
Crystalion
WhyBish
Rhydderech Heal whose name I cannot spell
Zara

and I'm sure several more who I can't think of off the top of my head.

(Of course, I'm sure I have disagreed with many of these posters on different occasions, but in my opinion they have generally been sources of high-quality posts and discussion).
goldfish,Dec 10 2003, 06:50 PM Wrote:Excellent!  Can we nominate people?
I admit that I have my own personal wish-list of people who are regular posters here and would be welcomed with open arms in a heartbeat, but it would be in poor taste to post it. Not only that, but there could be some very good people out there who might be thinking about it and who I haven't heard much of.

I will say that my wish-list includes many of your names, though :)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
While I am flattered that you would expect me to be a decent admin, I hope that you are not suggesting that I become a forum moderator sort of admin. Unlike Gris or Elric, I seem to have trouble "putting a sock in it" before posting, and would probably be a poor nominee for keeping things in the right spirit on the forums.

Merry Christmas, and may that mythical Rogue of Christmas Presents leave you a pair of Emerald Earrings of the Heavens in your wife's stocking. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I'm extroardinlarily drunk right now. (please delete this post) but I think Occhidiangela ( wee I got the name rigjt) would make an excellentf forum-moderator. I don't think there's a peron here who doesn't repect the helll out of him.

*delete*
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:I don't think there's a peron here who doesn't repect the helll out of him.

I'll second this (although I'm not drunk). ;)

Besides, can you really resist having a Rogue Admin, Bolt? :lol:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
[ Wrote:Angel,Dec 11 2003, 07:46 PM]Occhidiangela ( wee I got the name rigjt)
:lol: Heck, I can barely do that SOBER! :D
Welcome to the Lounge. Hope you brought your portable bomb shelter. - Roland
[ Wrote:Angel,Dec 11 2003, 07:46 PM]Occhidiangela ( wee I got the name rigjt)
Here's the secret to spelling Occhidiangela correctly. It took me weeks and weeks and months and years and fractions of a second to master.

Break it up into parts.

Part 1: Occhi
The key here is the two c's. Remember that and you're golden.

Part 2: di
Nothing much to say about this. Phonics, my good sir.

Part 3: angela
This one is simple. It's "angela", just like that cute little girl in your first grade class. You know, the girl whose hair you mashed gum into because girls are icky.

The tougher part is figuring out how it's pronounced.

I go with this:
OH-chee-dee-AN-juh-lah

Feel free to jump in here anytime, Occhi.
*phew*

I was afraid I'd made an arse out of myself ;)

Now to check the other boards..... :huh:

----

Deebye, that's the same method I use. It certainly makes things easier! :)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Occhidiangela,Dec 11 2003, 07:54 PM Wrote:Merry Christmas, and may that mythical Rogue of Christmas Presents leave you a pair of Emerald Earrings of the Heavens in your wife's stocking. :)
Oh great ! I finally finished Christmas shopping for the wife ;Slippers , stuffed animals , Mahjong Delux Bonanaza (6 billion ways to play Mahjong) , Manheim Steamroller , TransSiberian Orchestra , Corel/Bryce , ..... and now shes gonna want earings ? :blink: :P
Stormrage :
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta,Dec 12 2003, 07:35 AM Wrote:Oh great ! I finally finished Christmas shopping for the wife ;Slippers , stuffed animals , Mahjong Delux Bonanaza (6 billion ways to play Mahjong) , Manheim Steamroller , TransSiberian Orchestra , Corel/Bryce , ..... and now shes gonna want earings ?  :blink:  :P
See? Everyone says I'm lazy when I put off my christmas shopping -- CRAZY LIKE A FOX! maybe.

On to the what this thread is really about: spelling and pronouncing Occhi's name. Simple solution, guys -- just shorten it. Forget all the stuff after 'Occhi." It's not OUR fault that name is so gosh-darned long. :)

Seriously though, I can hardly believe I still check this site regularly. I've lost just about all interest in playing Diablo, and yet I still hang around and read the Lounge forums on a daily basis. Methinks I've been brainwashed... Oh, heck, it's all just because y'all are such great peoples.

You should all start playing the Myth series of games. That'd be a fun game to read about here :). Imagine drunked dwarves chucking molotov cocktails at tiny shaved gorillas and yelling "sorry about that" after blowing up their own buddies. You've gotta love myth! (ps I HATE microsoft for stealing bungie from us mac users!)

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Dec 12 2003, 09:15 AM Wrote:CRAZY LIKE A FOX!
Does anyone know where that line came from?
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Quote:It's not OUR fault that name is so gosh-darned long.

/me waits for a Ryllynythyllythyllyth comment... :ph34r:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]