A Lurking Manifesto
Merry Christmas to you as well, and may visions of sugarplums -- borne by scantily-clad rogues and amazons, of course -- dance in your head, throughout the season. :D
Dee, yer making me laugh again: Keep it up! :lol:
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Well, the Lurker Lounge is basically the first forum I ever visited.

Even though I got off to a bumpy start, I'm really glad I stuck here, since this one place has instilled me with a wide variety of knowledge over a wide variety of things. Essentially, this is a big "Thank-You" to the admins of this forum (Bolty and Griselda), and a "Wow!" to the original members (Such as Occhidiangela, Pete, ShadowHM, etc.) for sticking with this forum for so long.

I don't have much left to say except: Long Live the Lounge!!

Over and out.
Black Lightning:
- Hell's thunder
- It'll strike anywhere
- It'll come down any time
- It'll hit ANYTHING...
(Run for the hills!Wink
[wcip]Angel, can I quote you in my sig?

Quote:This is our final sanctuary, our haven; our Isengard. It
is here where we, the stalwart champions of the light,
shall make our stand against the coming apocalyptic
battle with the dimwitted and the "1337".
Refrigerator,Dec 15 2003, 12:07 AM Wrote:[wcip]Angel, can I quote you in my sig? 

Quote:This is our final sanctuary, our haven; our Isengard. It
is here where we, the stalwart champions of the light,
shall make our stand against the coming apocalyptic
battle with the dimwitted and the "1337".
*concentrating*

This is the lounge.

I am incredibly drunk yet again, but I will attempt an answer:

I would be honoured; incredibly so, for any member of the Lounge to quote me.

I consider it a passage, a ritual of acceptance into the LL-fold, to be worthy of quoting.

I feel I should ruin your quote by being honest.

Isengard is the fortress of Saruman, no?

We're not evil, are we?

I meant to say "Helm's deep!", but my mind played tricks on me.

Grammatically correct?

Did I manage?

Boldy,, help me!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
but there is a stand at isenguard, made by the ent's....
they may be slow to anger......
The wind has no destination.
Quote:I feel I should ruin your quote by being honest.

Isengard is the fortress of Saruman, no?

We're not evil, are we?

I meant to say "Helm's deep!", but my mind played tricks on me.

Haha :D Just don't tell anyone else. :ph34r:
A ritual of acceptance? I guess I'm not accepted yet then... :o
Noooooo!
gekko,Dec 13 2003, 05:15 AM Wrote:Forget all the stuff after 'Occhi."  It's not OUR fault that name is so gosh-darned long. :)
Anyone Remember when Xyzygyqy was posting here, about the time the star shape bug was discovered? :P
goldfish,Dec 11 2003, 11:50 AM Wrote:.
I would make a poor admin for rhis place. My writing is too short, and I would have to ban Occhi for calling me a troll back in Feb '01 :P

But seriously, I think we have good forum admins as it stands, perhaps all we need is one or two people to link new guides, and/or point to posts of interest?

As long as the forums are functioning I really can't see anything wrong.

On a personal note, I don't have enough time to do justice to this place (you will note my short posts ;) ), just finished my third degree, and am now studying Mandarin (and probably Spanish, Philosophy, and Psych), had my flexitime revoked at work so now spend twelve hours a day towards work to get paid for seven and a half, and have gone from net repair at tennis, to net repair, running Saturday League, and probably Wed. night League (as well as being a comitte member on one Tuesday a month) and playing on a Monday night... oh yeah, and somewhere in there I fit in playing some games with the crew at the Basin HC West (waves to tAB crowd) in between searching for alternative employment overseas ...

I could probably fit in an hour or two a week (since I read the forums daily anyway), but I do think there are better people out there (in terms of being more perceptive about what constitutes interesting developments)... I wouldn't suggest Crystalion, Jarulf et al., since any time they spend updating this site, they are not "doing their thing"™ and I'd rather see their full posts in the forums, than half posts linked from the front page.

Anyway, good luck with your grand plan Bolty. Hope RL (Note to [wcip] I don't mean resist lightning :P ) is going well.
While I know that was in the Network 54 days, do you any chance still have a link? It would be funny to see in what context I was so harsh on the Bished one. :D

That was pre LoD Beta . . . or was it post Net 54 and pre "it all blew up" era? Bolty changed formats so many times, it may be lost forever . . . which might be a good thing. I remember a sheep thread with Warlocke, Spiderdrake, and a few others that was positivelly . . . sick and bad, but sorta funny is a sick way.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 16 2003, 12:05 PM Wrote:While I know that was in the Network 54 days, do you any chance still have a link?
Are you saying no post exists?

Is that some indirect way of calling me a troll? :P

Actually, I only have my own post saved to the hard-drive, so I can't quote you directly, although I can see the reply tree structure (all links are dead)

But I need to have something to poke you with... like I poke MongoJerry about killing the Lounge :P
That I no longer have any links to the old Lounge, lots of stuff I had saved died about two years ago.

As Rhydd would say, "Stop . . . poking . . . me!" :lol:
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 15 2003, 07:05 PM Wrote:While I know that was in the Network 54 days, do you any chance still have a link?  It would be funny to see in what context I was so harsh on the Bished one. :D

That was pre LoD Beta . . . or was it post Net 54 and pre "it all blew up" era?  Bolty changed formats so many times, it may be lost forever . . . which might be a good thing.  I remember a sheep thread with Warlocke, Spiderdrake, and a few others that was positivelly  . . . sick and bad, but sorta funny is a sick way.
As far as I know, unless the old forum ate a specific post in question (a problem with DCForum), every thread created in the history of the Lounge still exists.

Except for the fact that the Old Forum (i.e. 2nd forum) currently isn't working! Ack! I just now noticed this! Obviously the cgi is misconfigured after the hosting move, I'll get that fixed (maybe this weekend, the holidays are just crazy on my time). The Network54 forum still lives here.

-Bolty

Gah! I thought everything was working; forgot to check the old forum...
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:I remember a sheep thread with Warlocke, Spiderdrake, and a few others that was positivelly . . . sick and bad, but sorta funny is a sick way.

Hrmm, that's strange... I don't remember this thread. Ack, am I going senile at the ripe old age of 23 & 11/12ths? Occhi, want to remind me about it?

Of course, if it was as bad as the "Where do BNMs keep their Dreamflanges?" thread, you can PM it to me rather than posting. :P
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Bolty,Dec 16 2003, 10:55 PM Wrote:The Network54 forum still lives here.

I miss the old N54 forum. It's too bad that the banners now suck arse:
[Image: lurkerloungen54.jpg]
(URL intentionally obscured)

There was always lots of great discussion there. I still enjoy lurking it from time to time.
I'm thinking that's one of the "uberthreads" that sprang up on a weekend when Bolty was away and there were not yet any moderators. I'm also pretty sure that there wasn't much left of that thread after Bolty returned from his weekend.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
"I come back after a weekend off and find this. I am appalled!"

Yes, we seem to remember the same thread. :)
In Memory of Pete
Greetings, my dear friend:

Though you already know this, I'm going to put this to words....

I was here from the start, and here I will stay.

I also have an offer for you..... (since I know that you probably read this at work)

You know what I do, and I do have a server that, if needed, can be "borrowed" by the LL. Could be more for the higher transfer stuff, or even a backup, should you think that it would be a good idea. We can work out the details later.

I still remember me calling you that one day while you were at school, and you pointing me to what I call looking back as "a work of progressive art." I also remember calling you just after you brought the site down, and discussing the reasons why you took down the site. Then I remember when the site came back up, and the community response to that happening. Been a long 4+ years, buddy, but my have they been memorable.

Okay, now enough of the mushy stuff. Back to business....

The Lurker Lounge Pledge of Saxywoo:

As long as I have control of a web server, the LL will always have a place that it can call home, should it ever need to move. All for free - come Diablo or the Ancients (hell or high water).

-SaxyCorp
goldfish,Dec 10 2003, 10:50 PM Wrote:Excellent!  Can we nominate people?   :P  
I like this idea! If I understand Bolty correctly, he's not looking for Forum Mods. He's looking for Content Admins ie, people to find or write content for the site. Here are a few people I think would be great:

Ruvanal - Tech?
Occhi - Fiction?
ShadowHM - Strategy?
Zarathustra
Griselda
Jarulf
Whybish
DeeBye
Warblade
and begrudgingly... PETE too!

I haven't been here for a while, so apologies to anyone I've forgotten.
Den,Dec 19 2003, 08:21 PM Wrote:He's looking for Content Admins ie, people to find or write content for the site. Here are a few people I think would be great:

and begrudgingly... PETE too!
If Pete were a forum admin, half the posters here would be banned. :-) But he'd make a very interesting content person...at least the LoungeRants would be good! :lol:

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.