The Lounge is back!
let me just say.. Woo Hoo!
Pete,Nov 29 2003, 04:36 AM Wrote:Hi,

IMHO, ROFL predates |337 5|o33|<.&nbsp; IIRC, it was in common use before the September that Never Ended and is thus approved net jargon, sanctified by generations (in net years) of usage.

BTW, I do hope you were joking.&nbsp; Or are all abbreviations banned?

ttyl

--Pete
My world is crumbling.

This used to be a sanctuary.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Argh!

Stupid Mozilla can't load up the front page or the forum index.

Dangit.

Quote:This used to be a sanctuary.

oic.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
It's good to see the community back up. :)
I am referring, of course, to Bolty and his selfless giving to the rest of us, as well as Gris, Lemming, and Elric. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
[ Wrote:Angel,Nov 29 2003, 03:06 PM] 4) Please post in real English. If English is not your first language (or even if it is *cough*), we do not mind spelling or grammatical errors...we do not mind typos from anyone either. However, we do not appreciate '|337 5|o33|<' or any unnecessary shortenings of English words.
Interesting interpretation.

Why don't you go flame Crystalion for using "LL" or "the AB", or Occhidiangela for calling Griselda "Gris".

...or any number of brilliant posts that abbreviate the skill names etc.?
[ Wrote:Angel,Nov 29 2003, 03:06 PM] 4) Please post in real English. If English is not your first language (or even if it is *cough*), we do not mind spelling or grammatical errors...we do not mind typos from anyone either. However, we do not appreciate '|337 5|o33|<' or any unnecessary shortenings of English words.
And just for fun...

Which Lurker posted using these abbreviations recently?

"brits"
"d2"
"LOD"

No, not my beautiful new glasshouse! ;)
Only women should live in glass houses.

I admit to that being a PoV (<= Horrors! An abbreviation!) slightly less than 50% universal.
In Memory of Pete
whyBish,Nov 29 2003, 08:14 PM Wrote:Which Lurker posted using these abbreviations recently?

"brits"
I apologize.
I was so certain "brits" was an accepted abbreviation.

I just looked it up and lo and behold, it's not.

As for "D2" and "LOD". They're covered in the rules.

Quote:common abbreviations such as 'lvl' or 'dmg' are fine though
I'm not saying that my argument for validating these abbreviations is that they're Diablo II-related - and this being a Diablo II-board I could've easily made that connection - but from my point of view the 'word' "rofl" falls into the same category as "lol", "omfg" and "n00b". It is not my argument that all abbreviations are creatures of evil. I believe some are, but most aren't.

I'll just go and edit the post you referred to.

edit: Funny, I thought it'd be me and Pete going for round 2.
Possibly, but actually I blame Globat. They should have a better way to meter service, to prevent a one day spike. Then the remaining 18 days was a classic case of rotten customer service. But, don't get e started on that.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:... women should live in glass houses.

<Chauvinist>
Hear, hear!
</Chauvinist>

... Did I say that out loud?

Oh snap!
whyBish,Nov 29 2003, 08:05 PM Wrote:Why don't you go flame Crystalion for using "LL"
Hmm. Can you be unaware that I've been chided and thus reformed from my scandalous "LLers" usage to the proper "Lurkers" nomenclature? :)

Having just reread "True Names" (Vernor Vinge) I find any Wizard of Oz representation of "the great and powerful" Crystalion to be even funnier than usual.

Flame away (for the man is hiding behind the curtain)

-- Crys

p.s. doh, almost forgot the flamebait!... Very happy the "LL" is back up.

p.p.s. even if people seem to need fire resistance more here than in D2 at times. Perhaps we need LDR gear? (Lurker Damage Reduction) ;)

p.p.p.s. we're not in Kansas anymore

p.p.p.p.s. <= is this still an acceptable abbreviation? How far can I go?

p.p.p.p.p.s. has anyone noticed that this is one of my shorter, more coherent posts? :D
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Who are you and what have you done with Crystalion?

A post that short is surely an impostor of some type!

Tell us now! Or do I have to get the ninja monkeys to start pulling out toenails, hrmm?
What did you do with Crystalion. This ain't Russia, you know, this is a place peopled by Yanks and Brits and Kiwis and Canucks and Dutchmen and all manner of folks who support law and order and

We'll call the cops!!!!!! Bring him back, I say, bring him back.

Postscript: If you put too many p's in you post scripting, you may see some rather nasty yellow streaking on your posts . . . (gawd, that was puerile!)
In Memory of Pete
Don't worry. This is the real Crystalion. Notice the word "nomenclature."

Oh, and
Quote:p.p.p.p.p.s. has anyone noticed that this is one of my shorter, more coherent posts?

I found that although this post is shorter, it is much less coherent [than your average post].
DeeBye,Nov 28 2003, 12:21 AM Wrote:Your post needs more "BLING BLING!"

I fixed it for you.
Dee, you crack me up, man. :) That was a riot!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
To commemorate this happy event, and to add another image to this thread:

[Image: 1107c010.jpg]

Nekocon 2003, Friday afternoon. Look carefully at the sign. Happy holidays!
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
[ Wrote:Angel,Nov 30 2003, 09:48 AM] Funny, I thought it'd be me and Pete going for round 2.
Why would Pete need a round two, I thought he gave a first round K.O. ... I mean knockout :P

Are emoticons acceptable abbreviations?
Well of course he knocked me out in the first round. I could never defeat the mighty Pete. That was never the goal ;) I just needed some training in professional arguing and debating. That sort of thing is frowned upon on most boards and usually ends with "ROFL @ l00sr"

And I have no problems with emoticons [Image: starwars.gif]
[Image: frink.gif]
http://www.home.no/lzp/emoticon.wav
Hey - where can I get some of that bling-bling action to spice up my posts? :lol:

Welcome back, and way to not let The Man beat you down, Bolty. ;)