I hate my cousins.
Tip:
Don't waste LAMs. You'll need them.

Tip#2:
Max out hacking as soon as you can. The higher the hacking, the more money you can hack out of ATMs. (And every time you go to Hell's kitchen, make sure you hack both ATMs; the one in the bar and the one in the hotel.)

Tip#3:
Check out the basketball court in Hell's Kitchen. It should be behind some wooden fences in a corner. Continue exploring that area till you find a latter down inside a container.

Tip#4:
When you're done in Paris, speak with everyone before entering the chopper. Everyone
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Don't waste LAMs. You'll need them.

Well, I've been trying not to use them willy-nilly, but sometimes the situation calls for it. I have 8 at the moment, and I've only used 2 (one in the Statue, and another in the Brooklyn subway).

Quote:Max out hacking as soon as you can. The higher the hacking, the more money you can hack out of ATMs. (And every time you go to Hell's kitchen, make sure you hack both ATMs; the one in the bar and the one in the hotel.)

Yeah, skill points are tight. I have Pistol, Rifle, Swimming, Electronics, and Lockpicking at Trained, and Computer at Advanced. For awhile Electronics and Lockpicking seemed high-priority skills, but now I'm running around with 15+ multitools/lockpicks, so needing 2 for the occassional job isn't so bad. I really need to up Pistol and Rifle though; the dang crosshair waver when using a scope is annoying. <_<

Quote:Check out the basketball court in Hell's Kitchen. It should be behind some wooden fences in a corner. Continue exploring that area till you find a latter down inside a container.

Hrmm, I think I did. All I found inside that shipping crate thingy was a riot prod charger though; I don't remember a ladder.

Quote:When you're done in Paris, speak with everyone before entering the chopper. Everyone

Uh... Okay. :huh:

Darts are entirely too rare in DX, dangit. I've been running around with 150 10mm rounds (the max for that ammo type, I presume) for awhile now, but I've only got something like 60 tranq darts and 25ish regular darts. I'd really like to use the crossbow more; it's easily the coolest weapon I have. :ph34r:

I'm on the mission after Hell's Kitchen now, the one where you have to fix Paul's "screwup". The story's dayum good; seems some nasty stuff is coming down the pipe, and Paul's getting pinned with it. I mean, I overheard Manderley and that Simons guy talking about offing him... :blink:

- WL
>I really need to up Pistol and Rifle though; the dang crosshair waver when using a scope is annoying.

Iirc, with a master grade rifle skills, the scope wobble will be zero. You can get similar results with some mods, but the advantage of having a master rifle skills is you can destroy cameras and turrets from a distance.

>but I've only got something like 60 tranq darts and 25ish regular darts. I'd really like to use the crossbow more; it's easily the coolest weapon I have.

Where you are at now, darts can be a bit scarce. But you will get a chance to blow your money on buying all the darts you can carry.
Warlocke. About the ladder. There are two containers behind the basketball court. The first one contains some boxes with equipment. The second one has a ladder.

When you -do- get down the ladder and explore the area. Make sure to break the mirror in the end. (Something you should do every time you visit Hell's Kitchen)
Grr. I think I've been bitten by a bug.

After all your equipment is taken from you (trying not to spoil here) and I found where it was stashed, I didn't get it all back. My stealth pistol (scope, accuracy 85%+, 12-round clip) and crossbow (scope, accuracy 80%+) were there, but my sniper rifle (laser sight, 10-round clip, accuracy 80%+) was replaced with a normal one! :(

Not only that, but my expendables were messed up too. My medkits and biocells were there, but only 1 gas grenade (I had 6), 1 LAM (of 7), and one scramble grenade (of 3) were there, and none of my 4 EMP grenades were anywhere. :angry:

So now I have a sniper rifle with base accuracy and clip but with a silencer, and virtually no expendables (had to use a scrambler vs some tin cans in the next area, and my only LAM to clear a doorway). I did pick up a shotgun (sawed-off; I can't get used to the assaults) and some SABOT shells, though, which seems to work decently against hardened targets. I've been carrying around a LAW simply because I had yet to find a good use for it; now I guess I'll have to keep it for any emergency door-opening I need to do...

I will say this though: The little "party" at the 'Ton was way awesome. Deus Ex just keeps getting better and better. :ph34r:

- WL
>After all your equipment is taken from you (trying not to spoil here) and I found where it was stashed, I didn't get it all back. My stealth pistol (scope, accuracy 85%+, 12-round clip) and crossbow (scope, accuracy 80%+) were there, but my sniper rifle (laser sight, 10-round clip, accuracy 80%+) was replaced with a normal one!

At this point I'm not 100% sure. But it might be a glitch in that specific level. What happened was I picked up my modified stealth pistol, and picked up a regular stealth pistol. The regular stealth pistol had overwritten my previously modified weapon.

All your previous weapons are there, it just might have been overwritten. The weird thing is, I tried this in other levels, and modified weapons do not get replaced when picking up normal unmodified ones.
I didn't realise this the first few times I played the game, but you can have Anna come see you in your cell instead of the other guy...
Quote:At this point I'm not 100% sure. But it might be a glitch in that specific level. What happened was I picked up my modified stealth pistol, and picked up a regular stealth pistol. The regular stealth pistol had overwritten my previously modified weapon.

Aww crap, I bet that's what happened. I picked up a sniper rifle from some guard before I found my equipment. I even dropped it before picking up "my" rifle, but no dice. :angry:

Oh well. I don't have a save that far back, and it's not really enough of a loss to make me want to replay that area and the next again, anyway. I'm still peeved about my grenades though. I loved to plant a gas grenade or LAM against a wall and get guards to walk by. I could almost see their expressions before it went off... :blink:

Quote:I didn't realise this the first few times I played the game, but you can have Anna come see you in your cell instead of the other guy...

That's the other great thing about this game, how little things change the plot. In my game, Anna had a little "accident" in the 747. So now Gunther is out to get me, and I can't hack into her computer at UNATCO because her acount's been locked (she's dead, after all). Sometimes I scare myself. :ph34r:

- WL
Don't worry. You'll find enough upgrades. Just concentrate them on the same weapon. The Hong Kong-level is huge and Paris also has lots of stuff.
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 7 2003, 06:50 PM] Bolty. Did you know that you could delay killing Mr Bad (Not -the- Bad, but mechanicly-Bad) till the very last level? (the one beginning with you being sniped from a tower)
I remember hearing how you could just run away from Mr. Mechanically Bad instead of fighting him (which seems so natural and set-up at the time, that long-playing gamers like me just do it without thinking "hey, you know, I could just run away"). I didn't know he shows up again later, though!

Well, like I said, continual surprisement...so many permutations of events are possible...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
WarLocke,Jun 11 2003, 03:17 PM Wrote:That's the other great thing about this game, how little things change the plot.&nbsp; In my game, Anna had a little "accident" in the 747.
Awww, you killed Anna? Gunther is such a toad. :)

I get such a kick out of reading your progress; reminds me of all the fun I had playing through the game the first time - thinking all along "I wonder what happens if I did THAT differently?" The 747 scene has a myriad of different endings which have cascading effects farther into the game, depending solely on YOUR actions.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote: Awww, you killed Anna?

Well, it wasn't intentional.

Okay, here's how that scene went: I get into the 747, find the last tank of Ambrosia, and get the "good job" message from Jacobson, saying that a team will be there shortly. But Paul had wanted me to at least hear Lebedev out, so I head toward the back of the plane, where the schematic said the private quarters were (I guess it was refitted; there was a bathroom were I expected to see a cockpit...).

So I find him, and he rolls out the Big Brother conspiracy theory spiel. It may be a bit cliche, but it was interesting, considering some of the things I had found back at UNATCO (being the super-sneaky ninja hacker I am, I had a bad tendency to read everyone else's emails...). Of course, then Anna runs in and demands that I kill the guy. Shoot him in the head, even. (I had read a memo to that effect in a Manderley/Navarre email too, I think).

Naturally, I'm not going to kill an unarmed, non-hostile person (code of ethics and all that) so I talk to Lebedev again, right in front of Anna. This seems to piss her off. Right before Lebedev gives me the Big Answer, she gets fed up, pulls out an assault rifle, and splatters his grey matter against the wall. Then she turns on me.

So I kill her. But I wanted to see what Lebedev would have said, so I reloaded and tried a few different ways of handling the situation, from shooting her as soon as she arrived to planting a LAM in the hallway. I eventually decided that my JC was intrigued enough by Lebedev's spiel (or loyal enough to Paul) to refuse to kill Lebedev outright and try to pump him for information. This led to a virtual repeat of my first try.

I didn't especially want to kill Anna (I thought she was darn cool, actually) but she kinda forced the issue. Then again, having another UNATCO operative knowing that I was actually (gasp) listening to an NSF terrorist would have probably gotten me shot...

Now, Gunther is a toad. I will enjoy killing him. I hope I can figure out his killswitch before I run into him again... It would be wonderfully ironic to take him out in that fashion (not to mention more fitting my sneaky ninja MO :ph34r: ).

Oh, and update: I'm in Hong Kong now. I can tell because the voice actors have terrible accents. Shudder.

- WL
Well, reading this thread has gotten me interested in Deus Ex now. I'm curious, do you think it's better to play it on PC or PS2?
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
>Now, Gunther is a toad. I will enjoy killing him.

I find it hard to hate anyone that wants a head mounted gun. I remember my first run through the game, the fight between me and Gunt was one of the most memorable. Not so much the actual fight, but everything leading up to it.

SPOILER ALERT!

From the cathedral sneaking to his taunting via the info link. And not to mention the 2 soldiers talking about a mechanical giant in the basement, and him sometimes crying over agent Navarre. After I terminated him, and got the electronic conversation with Walt Simonson, I wanted to strangle Walt right there and then. Maybe it's just me, but I saw Gunther as a somewhat tragic character.

END SPOILER.

To Kryn:

If you have a moderately recent PC, I recommend playing Deus Ex on the PC over the console version. Simply because of the loading time, and the peripheral. Playing an FPS style game with a keyboard and mouse is just easier.
Hammerskjold,Jun 13 2003, 04:11 AM Wrote:>Now, Gunther is a toad. I will enjoy killing him.

&nbsp; I find it hard to hate anyone that wants a head mounted gun.&nbsp; I remember my first run through the game, the fight between me and Gunt was one of the most memorable.&nbsp; Not so much the actual fight, but everything leading up to it.

SPOILER ALERT!

&nbsp; From the cathedral sneaking to his taunting via the info link.&nbsp; And not to mention the 2 soldiers talking about a mechanical giant in the basement, and him sometimes crying over agent Navarre.&nbsp; After I terminated him, and got the electronic conversation with Walt Simonson, I wanted to strangle Walt right there and then.&nbsp; Maybe it's just me, but I saw Gunther as a somewhat tragic character.

END SPOILER.

&nbsp;

To Kryn:

If you have a moderately recent PC, I recommend playing Deus Ex on the PC over the console version.&nbsp; Simply because of the loading time, and the peripheral.&nbsp; Playing an FPS style game with a keyboard and mouse is just easier.
I very much agree to that. I generaly shoot him enough times, so he runs away... I beilieve Simons makes different comments about him...

Anna is, simply put, a sadist. (Just listen to her talk if you die - "801. I'm catching up, Gunther"). She seems to have no regard for life, and she very likely knows a great about MJ12... Gunther was manipulated...
"One day, o-n-e day..."
When your equipment is taken from you, you only get one gas, LAM, and EMP grenade back. Before the escape, you can collect about 7 LAMs - I save them for the Ton (And the evil death sniper). 2 LAMs on each side of the door, one by the death sniper, two near the exit, one on the stairwell, and one in the Renton's office. :D

Getting a few of the TNT crates from the NSF warehouse is also fun. B)
"One day, o-n-e day..."
I would say PC version. Anything that requires you to aim is better done with a mouse :)
Hammerskjold:
Perhaps I misunderstood you, but is it possible to hurt Big-semi-bad in the cellar of the cathedral so badly that he'll run away? I always killed him there - either with the killphrase or with a few LAMs.
Yes. Unlike Anna at UNATCO, Gunther in the cathederal has a "panic" mode. After he runs away, just hack the computer.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,Jun 13 2003, 01:08 PM Wrote:Yes. Unlike Anna at UNATCO, Gunther in the cathederal has a "panic" mode. After he runs away, just hack the computer.
Damn! I thought I'd discovered everything in Deus Ex.. I guess it goes to show. You can play through the game 9 times and think you've experienced -everything-, only to find out there's still stuff you haven't done ;)

Where do you meet Big semi-bad again if you don't kill it in Paris?