I hate my cousins.
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 13 2003, 09:16 AM] You can play through the game 9 times and think you've experienced -everything-, only to find out there's still stuff you haven't done ;)
Gentlemen, can we keep this thread spoiler free for Locke's sake? You're giving away all this stuff!

BTW, can anyone count the number of different methods of playing out the 747 scene? (And yes, it's possible to NOT kill Anna.)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Sorry, Bolty. Feel free to edit away any spoileresque material I post by accident.

747:

1. Kill Anna. Let the guy live
2. Kill Anna. Kill the guy.
3. Let Anna live. Kill the guy
4. Let Anna live. Let her kill the guy
5. Distract Anna with some Forty-juggling while the guy slips out the backway.

Is it possible to knock her unconscious?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 13 2003, 05:34 PM] Is it possible to knock her unconscious?
Hmm, never thought of that...I bet the game would then assume that Anna killed Lebedev.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jun 15 2003, 01:29 AM Wrote:Hmm, never thought of that...I bet the game would then assume that Anna killed Lebedev.

-Bolty
Hmm.. Perhaps a last run through the game wouldn't be such a bad idea. Maybe I'll do just that when the release date for the sequel is in the not-so-distant future.
Ana can not be knocked out. If you knock out Lebedev, he is considered killed - even if you take his unconscious body over to UNATCO. Even if you die in the ton hotel scene, and get gibbed, MJ 12 put you back together. All your posessions will be taken - except for Lebedev!

At Unatco HQ, go to the second floor, and throw a gas grenade up to the first floor. Because she didn't see you yet, Anna is still green. Because she is afraid of the tear gas, she will run out, THROUGH the door, opening it.

If you let her live that way, I think Gunther doesn't send you the infolink transmission when you are leaving UNATCO HQ, however, he will still give the spiel about how he has not forgotten about Anna, when you fight him.

Aparrently, the developers did implement a tag such as BAnnaAlive, but excpected it to be set to 0. She was not intended to open the door for you, so she was intended to die. Aparrently, BAnnaAlive was only partially implemented.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Just be careful to always leave at least some space in your invintory because there is a nasty bug near the end of the game that will supply you with unlimited skill points to spend. This occurs because the person gives you skill points and then the person will try and give you an aug, but if your invitory is full he'll say to talk to him once you make room. Unfortunately, on every subsequent visit he will again give you the skill points. Luckily it's just before the last level, so if you get caught it's really no biggy

-Ryethe
The government makes paper airplanes out of our lives and files us out the windows. (Obasan)
I just started playing again. Some notes:

The important stuff
Level 1
Off of the pier with the informant there is a sunken ship. Throw a TNT-box into the ocean above the hatch of the sunken ship and detonate it with a single gunshot. Go down and pick up weapon mods.

Use the various crates of TNT to blow stuff up, such as the bot patrolling the front door. Place the box in its path, and when it comes near, 1 bullet will kill the bot.

A crate is also needed next to the path of the bot. Inside the little "shed" there's a box with some cash in it if I'm not mistaken. Save your LAMs, use a box 'o TNT.

In the underground bunker behind the statue there are some weapon mods. Jump on the forklift inside, push the button and jump onto the thing shooting electric sparks in your path.

How to get to Gunther:
Forget the beams, to the left of the beams (next to the stairs in the black area, there's a hatch which leads to a backway along with some items.

Inside UNATCO (on each visit) you should check:

2 offices on the first level.
Your own office,
Manderley's office & Manderley's bathroom
The "lounge". (remember to hack the ATM every time)
The 2 closets (1 has a removable pan often filled with goods.
The medicine closet on level 3
Get free stuff from armorer on level 3
In Jacobsen's office, check his closet (code 2001) as well as a secret place underneath the floor. It is on the upper floor of the room (not down with Jacobsen himself). Stand infront of the closet door looking into the main room. Step forward while facing and crouching down. Look around next to a table (between a table and the wall adjacent to the door out of the room))
First time you enter UNATCO, there should be some weapon upgrades and the key to the offices on lvl 2.
Remember to check regularly.

Hells kitchen:
Get to the smuggler, which can be accessed behind the basketball court (or if you get the password "bloodshot" or whatever, you can access his abode through a normal door). Always break the mirror in his quarters as the room behind often holds weapon upgrades..

Remember to save his friend, Ford Schick for a discount on his merchandise.

Inside the Hilton Hotell (did you remember to hack the ATM?) always check the bottom of the elevator shaft as long as the rim around the top of the elevator shaft. In your apartment, "open" a painting and enter the code 4321 to get lots of stuff from a secret room. There's often some money behind the receptionist on the table.

I'd planned to give pointers on where to find stuff, but it's 06.30 in the morning and I've been playing all night. I'm sorta beat ;)

Will come back tomorrow if I remember some more good locations for weapon/augmentation upgrades.

Remember the two obligatory augments:

Fast run/high jump
and
Regeneration

They are two of the best ones in my opinion. (.. however, you should always configure your character the way you want it; I'm just saying these upgrades will make things more interesting as you'll be able to get to higher places when you can jump higher.) Imagine vaulting from rooftop to rooftop in Hell's kitchen and be able to snipe everyone from different positions.
Also remember the little "bunker" next to the UNATCO building. From inside it you can use the computer to open the hatch next to the satelitte dish outside. Not sure if you mentioned that one :)
Another thing is that it's no point asking for a crossbow when your brother lets you pick a weapon, since there's a dead body on the road to the UNATCO HQ that has one on it.
You can also get a sniperrifle from one of the terrorists somewhere near the main entrance IIRC.

I agree that regeneration is very nice. I usually never bothered with biosuits or armor, I just switched on regeneration instead.
After reading this thread, I might have to go out and buy Deus Ex. Hmmmm....yes....more games like Morrowind to ruin my grades and life :P. Before you say anything..I know it has nothing to do with Morrowind, but it sounds very similar in the way that you play it.

I played Splinter Cell on one of my friends computer's last year, and I noticed that it take FOREVER to set when trying to shoot a terrorist, does anyone else notice this? I did like the graphics of Splinter Cell, though, too bad you couldn't shoot anyone in the head when you took them hostage, only knock them out :( that would have been cool.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Quote:I played Splinter Cell on one of my friends computer's last year, and I noticed that it take FOREVER to set when trying to shoot a terrorist, does anyone else notice this?

I haven't played Splinter Cell, but Deus Ex's firing system works a bit like this (if I understand what you're saying, anyway).

You have a target reticle, but as you move your aim gets worse (represented by little "brackets" around the reticle spreading apart). Standing still (or crouching) while aiming at a target will cause the brackets to shrink into/towards the reticle, giving you a more accurate shot.

At the beginning of the game you will be a pretty bad shot (to the point of needing to crouch next to/behind something to get the time to aim before the target sees you), but later on aiming gets easier. In my game I've specialized in the pistol-class weapons, with a skill rating of 3 (max of 4). With my modified stealth pistol, I can pretty much get an insta-aim reticle on a target if I'm crouched (seems like you aim faster crouched, but it may be a placebo on my part).

Also note that your character's skill level in a weapon plays a large role in how much the crosshairs "wobble" if you're using a scope. At level 1 with a basic sniper rifle, for instance, you will have to quicksave/load alot to get reliable headshots. At level 2 with some accuracy mods, the effect is much less noticable. At level 3 pistols skill with a modded minicrossbow, there's virtually no wobble.

DX really is a great game. I need to get back to it; Front Mission is sucking up my life...

- WL
Warlocke.. Where are you?

I just got to Hong Kong.. one of the worst levels in the game. It's just so huge. There are about 1.400 things you can do besides the objectives. It's impossible to find everything. (make sure you check out Jock's appartment next to the hotell where the lady lives.) Also be sure to check out all the boats and sewers. (if you haven't been there already)
I'm in Hong Kong as well. I think my last save was right outside the little Seven-Eleven type corner store next to the Lucky Money. I was trying to decide whether to spend 2 lockpicks to get in there (computer, ATM, and misc. items on shelves, but didn't look like much of value). The Lucky Money is just about the only place I've been to in Hong Kong, excepting the initial area (with the newspaper girl, rat-infested restaraunt, etc).

- WL
Don't forget the police station ;)
IIRC they got some jummy stuff in their basement.
I haven't entered the police station yet.

1. They have all those sound sensors around -- so if someone screams, his buddy'll take a shot at me, and all the other police (and the security bots) come running. Ugh.

2. I'm not particularly bloodthirsty, and there seems to be no real reason for me to raid the police...

- WL
You have to enter the police station sooner or later.

Code to get in: 911 ( :) )
Prod the guard inside, open the door and prod another guard. There's a panel to the left of the door. I think the code is 97143 or 97431 .. I was just there, and I can't remember.

On one of the big boats there's a woman selling 3 weapon mods. On the other one, there's some ammo in the hold, but be quick because there's a gas leak.

Play the piano in Maggie's appartment and you get to hear part of the Deus Ex-theme :P
There are about 10 zillion (a scientific term meaning "wow, that's a lot") secret things in Hong Kong. I'd say the biggest is the collapsed tunnel, which is mentioned in something you can read (like a newspaper) but requires some insane detective work to find without a walkthrough. Good luck.

-Bolty
Nah.

Go to the bar where there's a guy who mistakes you for your brother. Go to the back of the bar, past the kitchen and into the freezer. Jump onto the crates in the middle, and open a hatch to your right. Follow pathway to water. Dive in water. Find weapon mods and augmentation-upgrade on each side of the collapsed tunnel. Be cautious. There are 2-3 monsters down there (oooo).. Dog-like creatures which you'll encounter later in the game. They take forever to kill unless you have a gep gun.

You also need a good swimming skill, a portable breather or regeneration with lots of blue disc-thingies which give you "mana." :)

How to get to the bar: from the market. Walk between the temple and the courtyard of your ally. (I don't remember his name.) There's a way down at the end of the passageway between those two complexes. It leads to a new area. Take the right (I think, if it's not to the right, it's to the left.. (well duh))
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 17 2003, 11:28 PM] Nah.

Go to the bar where there's a guy who mistakes you for your brother. Go to the back of the bar, past the kitchen and into the freezer. Jump onto the crates in the middle, and open a hatch to your right. Follow pathway to water. Dive in water. Find weapon mods and augmentation-upgrade on each side of the collapsed tunnel. Be cautious. There are 2-3 monsters down there (oooo).. Dog-like creatures which you'll encounter later in the game. They take forever to kill unless you have a gep gun.

You also need a good swimming skill, a portable breather or regeneration with lots of blue disc-thingies which give you "mana." :)

How to get to the bar: from the market. Walk between the temple and the courtyard of your ally. (I don't remember his name.) There's a way down at the end of the passageway between those two complexes. It leads to a new area. Take the right (I think, if it's not to the right, it's to the left.. (well duh))
One/two whacks with the Dragon's tooth takes the karkarians out.

By the way, those are gunfire sensors in Hong Kong (I read that in a book on Level 1, during the Unatco breakout.) To combat the bots, simply go on the station's roof, take out the guy there, shoot all the other police officers, wait for a minute, and the bots will calm down.

Here's a few more pointers -

When you go to Lebedev's jet, always take the sewers. If you take the elevator, you will have to go to the docks for the key anyway, and you will have to get through a bunch of bots.

Also, in the last area of the sewers (just before the pond), there is a weapon recoil mod in a pipe.

In the mole people place, near the men's washroom with the locked door, there is a little crannie, under some rubble. Crawl in for a multitool, 2 EMP grenades, and an armed LAM.

Oh, and Hong Kong is the absolute best level in Deus Ex. I just love it.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
My Golden Rule of Deus Ex® :

"Your objectives are the last thing you do on any given level. They are secondary to exploring the whole of the level and should not be initiated before the entirety of the level has been covered."

Therefore; when I get into the collapsed sewer, I do not have the sword with me, as it's part of the "main quest" (been playing way too much Morrowind.. I also miss a mark/recall-function in Deus Ex :) )

At the airfield, it doesn't matter where I go; sewers or elevator, because I explore every tower, and every nook and crannie before I enter the hangar anyway.

(Near the entrance to the enclosed part of the outside-part of the hangar, there's a ladder on one of the crates. Climb it, do some jumping, follow the path, and it will lead you to some weapon mods. (the exit of the path will have you looking at the gate and the building in the background.)

Also, one of the engineers inside also have a weapon mod to sell.

I could've sworn there was a secret compartment in the airplane (the upper-most level with all the computers) but I was unable to find it this time around.
Well, I got it, but I'm having some trouble. When a message appears at the top of the screen, it just stays there. How do I get it to go away and read the next? Also, when I exit the game, DeusEx.exe still runs and I have to close it in task manager. What's going on? Is there a patch I should download?
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor