I hate my cousins.
Actually, when I quit the game (the few times I do) the sound lingers on after the program has been closed.. I don't know how to fix it though.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Yea, that's exactly what the second thing I mentioned was. I closed it but the music kept going, so I opened task manager and went to the Processes tab, and it showed DeusEx.exe as still running.

So, since you have that problem, do you also have my first problem? Is there a button you press to exit the message? It's really annoying because it seems some events only occur after you close the dialogue.
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
You running the fully patched version?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Where could I get a patch from? I checked at Eidos' official site, but they don't have any patches for Deus Ex.

EDIT: Eh, can't delete. Well, I finally found a patch that would download, so I'll try it out once it's done.
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

Yes they do, but their website is so damn crappy, it's difficult to find it.

Go to "support", then "choose game", choose Deus Ex (well duh) and voila, there should be a single player and a multiplayer patch there.

Now that I think about it, I -did- experience the problem last time I played. I don't remember what I did, but I'd

1. Download the new patch
2. Reinstall the game (remember to back up your savegames)
Another thing:
On the ship with the stuff. Next to the captain's quarters there's a room with a computer you can hack. It has an e-mail with no addressee, and no content. It's definitely there, because you can highlight it. I never figured out what that was. Does anyone else know?

Also, on the elevator up to Maggie Chow in Hong Kong, there seems to be a compartment in the chute. I'm not talking about the one you can access via the back of the hotel. Take the lift up to Maggie while staying close to the wall, and if you're quick you can see that JC "targets" something (like when you target a door, either to open it or when you use a lockpick). Does anyone know what -that- is?
I believe that leads to an area underneath Maggie's apartment - you can either take the other elevator up, or you could go into the MJ12 area of Maggie's apartment, and try to find a staircase leading down.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Thanks for the help. I realize I posted a little early when I should've been looking around harder for the patch. I felt like a jerk after I found it just a couple minutes afterwards.

Why do computer games always have to have patches? Couldn't they just make them like console games where most of the time, there aren't (m)any bugs, mistakes, etc.? Oh well. I'm probably thinking mostly about D2 anyway. ;)

Again, thanks for the patience.

It's virtually impossible to code a program of a decent size without making any mistakes, even if you do know a lot about software engineering.
It is also virtually impossible to find all the bugs in a program before releasing it, so pathces are made later.
And that's just the "pure bugs", add to it errors done in design, balancing, etc. and the need for patches becomes obvious.

The main reason there are no patches for console games could be that not everyone has a DVD+R drive. It's also a bit easier to code since you know exactly what kind of hardware/software the user will be running (e.g. a PS2) and thus compatibility becomes much less of an issue. What happens if the user has chip-modded his console isn't really the programmers problem.
With PCs you have to work hard to find two individual systems that have the exact same pieces of hardware and software, thus the code gets more complicated.
Well. I finally found Gunther, and decided not to kill him. After all, this is why I decided to play the game once more.

Some questions

1. When will you meet him again?
2. If you have the killphrase, will you be able to use it then?
3. Why didn't hologram-Simon in the bottom of the cathedral say something after you let Gunther go? Did the programmers forget to complete the "let Gunther go"-scenario?
Now that I got this game working, it's amazing! So many options, things to do, etc., and I'm still on the first area! I haven't even entered the statue yet and I've saved about 16 times. I'm such a newbie. ;)

At creation, I raised Pistol a level and Computers a level. Was that a wise choice? I figured I'd be an elite hacker that ran around with a silenced pistol. Also, in Hitman 2, I'm quite fond of the 9mm Pistol SD, so that had some effect on my decision.

EDIT: I'm just curious. No matter what, I'm gonna stay with what I started. If it sucks, I guess I'll just adapt, eh? Another question though, I got a bunch of weapon mods I can use on the Sniper Rifle/Pistol/Xbow. I'd like to put them all on my pistol, but would that be a waste?

That setup will work; its basically how I'm playing.

I would suggest getting Lockpicking and Electronics to at least Trained at some point, though; it will save you tons of lockpicks/multitools.

I picked up a level of Rifles to use a sniper rifle, but in hindsight it really wasn't all that important. Once you mount a scope on a pistol or crossbow, the only real distinguishing factor is range, and I have't seen too many areas that the rifle's (much) greater range is that much of an advantage.

'Course, having Rifles at Trained lets me lug around a shotgun loaded with SABOT shells, which do a nice number on bots.

As far as mods go, if you plan on using the pistol much more than the crossbow, go ahead and dump all the mods into it. Having a large clip, rock-steady accuracy, and virtually no recoil (I think pistols can take recoil mods?) is a big advantage, if enough mods are put into the same weapon. The crossbow can be used for non-lethal takedowns, though -- like you said, so many options... :ph34r:

- WL
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Thanks for the info. I'll probably upgrade the pistol and keep the crossbow for special occasions. I've mainly been using the baton so I could take people out silently since I don't have a silencer yet. Hitman 2 got me into the habit of sneaking up and giving the guys a nice shot to the back of the head.

Does it matter whether a takedown is lethal or not? Like, in some situations, is it required for you to not kill anyone?

On the first level, your brother will be angry with you if you go around killing everyone. If you tranq them, he'll be happier.

However, if you kill everyone, you'll earn the respect of your gun-toting colleagues as well as your superior officer. I always go around prodding people in the neck on Liberty Island. You'll get more than enough opportunities to kill people during the rest of the game.

You'll need the sniper rifle for long range combat later in the game, such as Paris and beyond.
Well. I've now completed the game for the 10th and hopefully last time.

I'm a bit disappointed; I didn't meet Gunther later on in the game :( ..

But I found out 1 more thing. If you allow mr Big techno-evil live on Area51, he will also run away. However, you'll never meet him again, so what's the point?

The lesson: Kill Gunther when you have the chance.
You kill Gunther? You meanie! :angry:

Regarding Walton Simons: The lesson is: Kill him at Area 51. His reflection in a hall of mirrors speech is worth the trip alone. Well, also the part when he fights like you do - if you get close, he uses the Dragon's Tooth, medium range, he uses a LAM, Long range, he uses a plasma rifle.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
One of my friends is burning me a copy of Deus Ex...so now I can play and talk about who killed who :P
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Will Deus Ex work with Win XP Pro, or will I have to run it in crappy compatability mode?
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Jun 24 2003, 06:10 PM Wrote:Will Deus Ex work with Win XP Pro, or will I have to run it in crappy compatability mode?
I ran Deus Ex in winXP..
(nt)