Rerolling Charms
Was wondering if someone could help me out..
Here's where i get lost :D
I want to reroll small charms with these following mods 7%MF and 5%Resist All. 7%MF has lvl 33 and 5%Resist All has lvl 25.
What lvl would my sc have to be to get the best chance of getting those mods.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
ilvl of 47+ to have a chance at both.
How did you come to that conclusion if i may ask...

What formula did you use to find the ilvl?

Thanks again :)
Hail AltoZone,

Unless I am remembering rerolling wrong, the ilvl of the finished product is equal to the ilvl of the original item (in your case, the not-quite-perfect charm). What is the ilvl of the 'bad' charm you are putting in? Likely you'll have recieved it from a critter, so ilvl = mlvl :)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
For charms the ilvl=mlvl of the monster that drops them.

A small charm has a qlvl of 28.

Formula for calculating the resulting alvl is here.
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/cgi-bin/forum/...&forum=Workshop

The values you listed were the minimum alvl needed for those affixes to spawn on a small charm.

You may find this link may be useful too.
http://www.diabloii.nu/affixcalc/
That's the problem..
I have sc's from hell cows which are lvl 90, some from baal which are 95 and some from nithalak or what ever his name which are 98. But when rerolling those charms that gives me more Prefix/Suffix to play with and gives me less chance of getting the actual mods that i am looking for.
Well, don't reroll Baal or Nihl charms looking for that, save those for ubers.

But patience young Jedi, the odds of even getting Shimmering/Good Luck on the same charm are 1 in 13,000 - and that's just for the two mods to even appear on the same charm. Shimmering can go 3-5% and Good Luck 6-7%. So that adds even more against it that it will pop up perfect since there are 6 possible combinations even if it does appear. I'm not a statistician, but I imagine the true odds of it appearing the way you want are very remote, BUT, I've hit 2 charms in the past that had 1 in 33,600 against them, so it's not impossible.

Use any charm you find in a cow game (including the ones from chests - ilvl 75), just don't reroll with a lower than clvl 90 character.

Also, Ruvanal linked you above to where I get my odds info, as I've asked the odds of getting things in the past and that second link is my GoTo website every time. :)

Good Luck with the Good Luck!
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
Conner Macleod,Mar 12 2003, 01:03 PM Wrote:Use any charm you find in a cow game (including the ones from chests - ilvl 75), just don't reroll with a lower than clvl 90 character. 

Why does clvl matter for rerolling charms?

-- CH
Clvl matters because it will determine the overall affix level. In this case, I plugged and chugged ilvl and clvl 75 and 90, respectively, until I got affix levels that met what the thread starter was asking. He can enter in his own situation into that calculator, I was just offering an example.

Clvl truly matters on all matters of cubing and crafting. Example: You cannot expect to cube a toxic small charm even with a clvl 99 character if your internal or item level charm is a 12. But, you can achieve that with an ilvl 90 charm and a clvl 12 character. Clvl affects the affix level (alvl).

Ruvanal posted this link earlier: Affix Calculator

This is an excellent page for all matters cubing, and will illustrate for you exactly what you will be able to expect when you try to cube anything in the game. If you are unsure of the ilvl of the item you have, consult the LOD Encyclopedia (I think Diabloii.net just posted an updated version, but do yourself a favor and jump in and out of there ;)) The ilvl will equal the mlvl of whoever dropped it, so if you are a serious cuber you will log into your D2Book what the charm is, where it is, and what dropped it and look up the monsters mlvl for future reference.

Another fine example: Uber charms like the thread starter mentioned - ilvl 95/98. You can achieve 3 of the 4 uber elemental mods with a clvl 98 and below. Hibernal, however, is reserved for clvl 99 cubers. Perfect example of why the clvl matters. Arreat Summit defines necessary clvls but does a poor job of explaining required ilvls to achieve those mods. I occassionally get confused myself because I definitely am not perfect.
Conner

Conner Macleod, the level information that is at the Arreat Summit site is listing the minimum required alvl that would be required to spawn the affix on an item, not the character level required. And they do not really explain what it is that they are listing, nor do they explain how to get to that level value for any of the items that you have.

"Clvl affects the affix level (alvl)."
For cubing items, this is only true if the cube formula uses a non-zero value in the plvl column and does not already have a value in the lvl column. In the case of the formula "3 perfect gems + 1 magic item -> magic item", the only value is a 100 in the ilvl column. This ends up meaning that the output item will have an ilvl=[/i]100[/i]*input_ilvl/100 or ilvl_new=ilvl_old. Your character level will have no effect on it and as such will end up having no effect on the affixes that will be available on the item.

In the case for the "Hibernal" prefix for small charms, there is a misprint of the required level, it should be 91 not the 99 they listed. This would require that the small charms ilvl be 95+ to spawn this alvl 91+ affix. Your character level will not matter for the rerolling.
I stand corrected! :)

A little off topic. Ruvanal, should we ignore about anything that Arreat Summit says because everytime I quote from there I get slapped? Arreat, the site produced by Blizz, they have more erroneous info on there than you can shake a stick at. Also, for all the more knowledgable - a question. Where did you guys go to get all the info you have? Reverse engineer the game or ...? Just curious.
Conner

Hail Conner,

The AS has *some* correct information ;) It was made by a web designer though, not a programmer: if it were, the information may be more accurate...then again, as their programmers do not always seem to know what is going on, maybe not :P Anywho, we get our info from the mpqs and testing. Go to The Workshop and read the old posts there: when someone discovers something new, they list how they came to this discovery/conclusion :)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Thanks, Ruvanal - that was the point I was getting at. (When asking mild-mannered questions, Hound might be being simple... or perhaps trying to hand out sufficient rope. B) )

BTW, I took a peek at the affix calculator you linked to. I selected small charm, the 3 perfect recipe and an ilvl of 47. The results didn't include Good Luck. I had to boost the ilvl to 61 to make it show. I assume this is because the alvl for Good Luck is actually 47, so I'd need 47+(28/2) = 61 to get it. (Don't have the stock .txt files handy to check.)

Then I went back and reread the old 3 chips post. Urg! Sometimes Blizzard does things that make my head hurt! That formula goes down by 1/2 an alvl from ilvls 1 to 30 then up by 1/2 an alvl from ilvls 30 to 66 then up by 2 alvls after that.

Shortswords and Falcatas both get basically twice the affix level of a gladius? There is some reason a gladius shouldn't get Warrior's, Soldier, Locust or Wraith, but both the normal and elite versions can? What in the world could the game designer's rational for that have been? Or did a game designer never look at it at all and it was just hacked in?

-- CH
Conner Macleod,Mar 13 2003, 11:16 AM Wrote:I stand corrected!  :)

A little off topic.  Ruvanal, should we ignore about anything that Arreat Summit says because everytime I quote from there I get slapped?  Arreat, the site produced by Blizz, they have more erroneous info on there than you can shake a stick at.  Also, for all the more knowledgable - a question.  Where did you guys go to get all the info you have?  Reverse engineer the game or ...?  Just curious.
Hello Conner Macleod

The data used in the calculator is the same as data the game uses, extracted from the mpq-files.
I don't like the design of the affix calculator any longer (I'd like to see it validate as xhtml 1.0, which it surely doesn't right now), and I'm thinking about printing all the rows with javascript to make the code more simple. However, there are no plans for this right now (I haven't played d2 for a LONG time now, I'm really not interested in doing any changes since patch 1.10 may be out any day, and I'm fighting cancer since november last year, so I have other things to think about), but when patch 1.10 comes out, I'll talk to Helgonet about re-doing the page (it'll be created in php instead of asp, if anyone likes to know).

The formulas used in the calculator come from players that have looked into the game code, and have come to my awareness by Ruvanal and Apocalypse Demon. Further, I've done lots of testings to see that things really work as they are supposed to.

Ruvanal:
I expect you to help me out when (if) the new affix calc is being build, 'cause I've forgot many things when I haven't been that active in the d2-community ;)
dectgap,Mar 23 2003, 01:09 PM Wrote:Ruvanal:
I expect you to help me out when (if) the new affix calc is being build, 'cause I've forgot many things when I haven't been that active in the d2-community  ;)
That shouldn't be much of a problem. Sorry to hear of what you are going through. I hope that things will work out good for you in long run.
Ruvanal
Guys,

I'm having a little trouble with the calculator too. I'm an idiot when it comes to interfaces. I also want shimmering small charms ... but I dont care about the lucky ones. So, I was able to put in ilvl 47 to see Shimmering appear. However, once I do that, I dont understand my options on page 2. There are buttons to declare the prefix or the suffix dont matter ... but both are pushed. I dont understand. How can I unselect one and run the page again? And what are the two fields for prefix and suffix for that have "x" in them and what is that for? And what are the boxes that can be checked for? And how do i make the page re-run with my choices?

In other words, I want to ensure that the suffix is irrelevant, and all I care about is shimmering. How do I use the affix result page to home in on what I want? I want to be sure the ilvl has to be 47 ... I cant tell if making the suffix irrelevant will lower that or not.

Hmm.

Lewis
Lewis
aka *westcats, USWest, SC
aka *sevencats, *weirdcats, USEast, SC
Animation,Mar 24 2003, 03:20 PM Wrote:Guys,

I'm having a little trouble with the calculator too. I'm an idiot when it comes to interfaces. I also want shimmering small charms ... but I dont care about the lucky ones. So, I was able to put in ilvl 47 to see Shimmering appear. However, once I do that, I dont understand my options on page 2. There are buttons to declare the prefix or the suffix dont matter ... but both are pushed. I dont understand. How can I unselect one and run the page again? And what are the two fields for prefix and suffix for that have "x" in them and what is that for? And what are the boxes that can be checked for? And how do i make the page re-run with my choices?

In other words, I want to ensure that the suffix is irrelevant, and all I care about is shimmering. How do I use the affix result page to home in on what I want? I want to be sure the ilvl has to be 47 ... I cant tell if making the suffix irrelevant will lower that or not.

Hmm.

Lewis
The radiobuttons are used to see the odds of a specific prefix and/or a specific suffix.
If you select the radiobutton next to the text "Shimmering", you will see that your odds of getting a Shimmering Small Charm (with or without a suffix) is 1 in 147.
Yikes! I will only have a 1 in 147 chance of rolling a shimmering small charm? Nasty odds.

Lewis
Lewis
All,

OK why is it that shimmering on a small charm can only appear (on 3 perfects plus magic re-roll) if the monster dropping it is level 47, even tho the affix is a level 33 affix? And yet for a grand charm with +1 skills, I can re-roll it with the monster dropping it is level 50, even tho the affix level is also 50? Whats up with that?

Also, that page (linked above) that does the affix calculation shows that a GC can only have 12% resist all, but I'm sure I've seen a 14% resist all GC.

Lewis
Lewis
Quote:OK why is it that shimmering on a small charm can only appear (on 3 perfects plus magic re-roll) if the monster dropping it is level 47, even tho the affix is a level 33 affix? And yet for a grand charm with +1 skills, I can re-roll it with the monster dropping it is level 50, even tho the affix level is also 50? Whats up with that?

The alvl of an item depends on the qlvl, aswell as the ilvl. Have a look at the alvl calculation (can be found under Explanation).

Quote:Also, that page (linked above) that does the affix calculation shows that a GC can only have 12% resist all, but I'm sure I've seen a 14% resist all GC.

In 1.08, Grand Charms could get up to 15% resist all (from the Shimmering prefix), so the charm you have seen must have dropped pre 1.09.