The Passing of a Lounger
I am deeply saddened by this. When we met years ago, he did not dissapoint in person, just as in print.

Anna and I extend our deepest condolences.
Magi,

I honestly had not had the pleasure to have met your husband, but I feel after reading all of the things everyone has had to say, that I am a lot poorer for not having known him. In fact he sounds a lot like myself in that he would fight tooth and nail for something or someONE that he believed in. The world needs more of those people in my opinion.

Recently I have lost 4 people that were very dear to me. Two of which were my role models in life. I imagine losing Pete will be just as hard if not harder and I`d like you to know that there are brighter days ahead. No one can ever truly know what you have lost, but you do....

My thoughts and prayers are with you in the days ahead and it sounds like Pete was the kind of husband to give you some comfort and perspective before he passed. Indeed the best thing anyone could have given. He will be missed...

Sincerely,
Rippa
[Image: 4533920POkll.png]
Hey! I just realized something. If there is a heaven, they would get all the best betas. Even the ones not thought of yet! Play on Pete! Watch over us, Pete, and bring us the best. Wink
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I am very sorry to hear this. Magi, I am so sorry for your loss.
If it were not for Pete, I would not have wasted spent countless hours reading off-topic discussions, debates and arguments on the Lurker Lounge over the last 10 years. No matter what the topic, I always appreciated his insight, perhaps most especially when we disagreed! People like Pete are very few and far between, so I will certainly miss the opportunity to continue to interact with him.

Magi, my condolences for your loss. Thanks for sharing Pete with the rest of us all of these years!
-TheDragoon
At a loss for words.

My deepest condolences Magi. Your husband made me think more before I'd post (or speak). For that I will be eternally grateful to him.

I'll keep you in my heart, Pete.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I also saw this when it was posted and I still don't have words to express what a great loss this is to the Lounge. My only interaction with Pete was through conversations on this site and the rare occurance that we were on WoW at the same time. It speaks greatly to his character and impact, however, that I can safely say my time on this site will not be the same.

My sincerest condolences to Pete's family and friends.
Is there any chance (and this is more directed at Geoff than anyone here, if Geoff is still lurking around), if we could get Blizzard to place a memorial NPC into the game for Pete?
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
I just saw this as I got home from work. I feared that this might be the situation from the conversation I had with Sabra yesterday morning. Pete will be missed by many.

Magi, you take the time you need to deal with whatever you need to do. You know you can call on Sabra and I if anything is needed.

Ruvanal
Unlurking to say that Pete was one of the posters I was always a little bit in awe of his intelligence.

I'll miss reading what he's had to say.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
I don't post much, but have appreciated Pete's posts since D1. My condolences. Sad
I just looked at Pete's profile, which Bolty, so sweetly, linked in his original post. Pete's last signature reads: "How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?"

My favorite "Moment-of-Pete" occurred way back on the old Diablo Strategy Forum. Some yahoo tried to take Pete on, siting how smart he was because he was applying to law school. Pete corrected all the guy's spelling errors along with his grammar and syntax, and then explained to the guy that about 75% of the practice of law is based on writing. Smile

Wow! I will miss him! Heart

Loch, you said it well! May all of Pete's celestial betas be legendary.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
(10-18-2011, 03:19 AM)Sabra Wrote: My favorite "Moment-of-Pete" occurred way back on the old Diablo Strategy Forum. Some yahoo tried to take Pete on, siting how smart he was because he was applying to law school. Pete corrected all the guy's spelling errors along with his grammar and syntax, and then explained to the guy that about 75% of the practice of law is based on writing. Smile

I totally remember that!

Another awesome thing about Pete was that he never carried a grudge. He would call you out in one thread for saying something really stupid, then praise you in another thread for saying something smart. I could never reach that superhuman level of objectivity, try as I might.
My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was "Not Pete." This is the first time I've found his presence remotely disappointing.

I remember Pete was the first person I ever saw recommend a retroactive abortion. His powers of abuse always left me in awe, and giggles. I learned tremendously from reading his posts; not merely in creative methods of insult and condescension, mind you, but everyone else has praised his intelligence already so I'd like to focus on something else.

Reading Pete's abusive posts was a guilty pleasure. I'd often think "Man, he could be a lot nicer about this", but life was just way more entertaining when Pete was on the warpath. Upon many a troll and wanker he delivered masterful coup de grâce which, this being the internet, may seem like it did about as much good as cutting the head off of a hydra. But lemme tell ya, Pete was a force. Did you guys know there was an "It Gets Better" Project started in the late '90s by nitwits on the receiving end of a thorough Pete'ing? They even told tales that Pete rode around on a magical dinosaur called Thesaurus and that his wordsmiting stemmed from The Word of God, which Pete "borrowed" from God after convincing Him that He doesn't exist. No joke. Have you noticed your prayers haven't been very effective lately? Well, blame Pete. But even with all of his powers, even Pete couldn't stop people from being idiots, but he sure as hell could shoo them off our lawn. With a firehose. That squirted fire.

-Lem
I first "met" Pete in the old DSF forums and had the pleasure to read many of his "retroactive birth control" posts. While I was glad not to be on the receiving end, I felt that if I ever would be, I would have deserved it - he never extended his wrath unjustly.

Later we met again at Realms Beyond, and only then did I dare to argue with him in the off-topic forum. I got lucky; I only received some mild instances of his wrath. And as I had predicted, I deserved that - and learned a lot in the process.

Pete was one of the primary reasons I returned to RB and the LL even after I stopped playing Diablo. His posts were *always* worth reading - insightful, witty and enlightening. It doesn't happen often that people change a longe-time opinion they have about something after arguing with others. Pete actually managed to achieve this truly rare feat with me, twice.

His way to see behind things and to argue in a crystal-clear, concise way has influenced me greatly, more than any other person on the net and more than most people in real life. Something of him will continue to live inside me, as I often "hear" him in my head when I think about something or am in a discussion with others.

I regret that I never had the chance to play any online games with him. I recommend ShadowHM's interview with Pete on RB here to get some insight into how games have influenced him.

This is a sad day.
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
May you rest in peace Pete.
Eventhough I didnot know you in the real world I really have the feeling I lost a friend. There are not many people I have been in so many discussions in as you and some others here on the lounge.
Anytime someone started a new discussion here on the lounge you could surprise us with your opinions. Thanks for being there these last 8 years or so (since I started visiting the lounge) and I can surely say that communicating with you....even over the internet.... has made me a better person.
I am going to miss you man.
Maggi, my sincerest condolences to you.
eppie
Pete, goodbye. Through you my life has been enriched. I was a teenager over a decade ago, and little interactions gave me growth . My thoughts are fragmented as I can't even imagine how missed your presence is. My deepest condolences to Magi. I wish I could do you justice.
This is really unexpected and sad. It seems just a few weeks ago I saw Pete's name everywhere here in the forums, and now he is gone. I know I've butted heads a bit with Pete a long time ago - like many others - but I always respected his opinion and his experience. And we will all miss that. My sincere condolences to Magi.
(10-18-2011, 05:42 AM)LemmingofGlory Wrote: My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was "Not Pete." This is the first time I've found his presence remotely disappointing.

I remember Pete was the first person I ever saw recommend a retroactive abortion. His powers of abuse always left me in awe, and giggles. I learned tremendously from reading his posts; not merely in creative methods of insult and condescension, mind you, but everyone else has praised his intelligence already so I'd like to focus on something else.

Reading Pete's abusive posts was a guilty pleasure. I'd often think "Man, he could be a lot nicer about this", but life was just way more entertaining when Pete was on the warpath. Upon many a troll and wanker he delivered masterful coup de grâce which, this being the internet, may seem like it did about as much good as cutting the head off of a hydra. But lemme tell ya, Pete was a force. Did you guys know there was an "It Gets Better" Project started in the late '90s by nitwits on the receiving end of a thorough Pete'ing? They even told tales that Pete rode around on a magical dinosaur called Thesaurus and that his wordsmiting stemmed from The Word of God, which Pete "borrowed" from God after convincing Him that He doesn't exist. No joke. Have you noticed your prayers haven't been very effective lately? Well, blame Pete. But even with all of his powers, even Pete couldn't stop people from being idiots, but he sure as hell could shoo them off our lawn. With a firehose. That squirted fire.

-Lem

Well said, Lemmy. I was pretty sad when I first read the news, but I have to say your words cheered me up a little. He was definitely one of a kind and he'll be missed for all of his contributions to this great community. The LL won't be the same without him.

*hugs Magi*

-Layil aka Darkman
The more of it there is,
The less you see.
It's been thirteen years since I discovered the DSF and Pete's posts. In that time I've come to consider Pete one of the iconic Loungers, who define this site and this community. I wouldn't always check the Lounge regularly or even frequently, but whenever I did I'd look over at The Lounge and he'd be there. Thirteen years ago I was in high school, too; it's not everyone who can say they literally grew up reading Pete.

Sincerest condolences, Magi; he'll be missed more than I can say.