I'm a bit down.
Quote:Nope, as this overcaffeinated rogue can attest. One of many things wrong with that film, for all that was right in it.

Occhi

My dad and I tried to watch the movie, and I think he made it about 20 minutes into the movie before wigging out and leaving the room yelling something about the director never having stepped foot in a real estate office before.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Quote:So in short; do you have any good movies you'd like to recommend? I'd like to avoid the Schindler's Lists and the Million Dollar Baby-type of movies, which are just too excruciatingly depressing. Any tips?
Did any of these suggestions help?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Under the "guilty-pleasure" category, I just watched Flash Gordon with my kids tonight. The movie is just fun and exciting; a timeless story with a wonderfully crafted soundtrack by Queen. A truly great movie for it's time.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Under the "guilty-pleasure" category, I just watched Flash Gordon with my kids tonight. The movie is just fun and exciting; a timeless story with a wonderfully crafted soundtrack by Queen. A truly great movie for it's time.
How can a good movie be a guilty pleasure? Is it because the reviewers tell you that you should only be able to enjoy artsy movies with indie actors, no action and almost no plot? Or is it the "I liked it as a kid, so I shouldn't enjoy it as an adult" reasoning many people use for so many things in their lives?

I'm merely confused as to why you should feel guilty about liking something.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Quote:How can a good movie be a guilty pleasure? Is it because the reviewers tell you that you should only be able to enjoy artsy movies with indie actors, no action and almost no plot? Or is it the "I liked it as a kid, so I shouldn't enjoy it as an adult" reasoning many people use for so many things in their lives?

I'm merely confused as to why you should feel guilty about liking something.
Flash Gordon was made to be campy, but it seems only the folks in the UK understood the film makers intentions. It flopped in the US market, but is still one of the top box office hits in the UK. It has much in common with "Big Trouble in Little China", in that it has a great director, has that tongue in cheek camp, and went right over the heads of most people (except the Brits, who are weaned on the likes of Dr. Who and Monty Python).

In that camp sci-fi/fantasy genre, I think "Barbarella" (also a De Laurentis film) is another cult classic (guilty pleasure). Where else would you get to see Jane Fonda working with Marcel Marceau? Also, "Galexina", "Starship Troopers", and "Dark Star" would be in that group of "guilty pleasures", that is, movies that I like whose box office or critical reviews were not so hot.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Under the "guilty-pleasure" category, I just watched Flash Gordon with my kids tonight. The movie is just fun and exciting; a timeless story with a wonderfully crafted soundtrack by Queen. A truly great movie for it's time.

I loved Flash. Still have it on my PC and the soundtrack is in my Winamp. Sure, graphics wise it's a pile of poo, but it's so over the top it's wonderful.

Movies I would recommend. hmmm.

Spirit, stallion of the cimmasomething always brings me to tears. Best Disney movie since Bambi. Because it has a horsey. *sniff*

Star Wars 4-6 never get old (1-3 are meh. No Darth Vader kewlness)
Lord of the rings still does it for me.
Matrix is ok
Behind enemy lines and Saving private Ryan are cool. Can be a bit depressing though, WW2 isn't a light theme, but I love WW2 movies.
pulp fiction (it's a funny movie)

I also love Anime!
Hellsing Ultimate is about a vampire hunting organisation employing, ironically, vampires. Very bloody. Lots of Nazis die violently. I like seeing nazis die violently.
Full Metal Alchemist is cool
Bleach is a long running series (still going strong) that is just plain fun.
Vampire Hunter D is a post-apocalyptic movie about a half-vampire trying to save a girl from a full vampire, one of the last of his kind.

mweh, all I can come up with 1-2-3.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Quote:Angel' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:51 PM' post='157114']So in short; do you have any good movies you'd like to recommend? I'd like to avoid the Schindler's Lists and the Million Dollar Baby-type of movies, which are just too excruciatingly depressing. Any tips?
The first season of "True Blood" is out on DVD now. I also liked Alan Ball's work on "Six Feet Under" which I'm still catching up on DVD.

Quote:I also love Anime!
Hellsing Ultimate is about a vampire hunting organisation employing, ironically, vampires. Very bloody. Lots of Nazis die violently. I like seeing nazis die violently.
Note that Ultimate is different from the original 13 episode version (which doesn't follow the manga too well). Ultimate follows the manga fairly closely to great effect and part 5 was recently released in Japan.
Quote:I also love Anime!

If you want dark, try Berserk. It's one of the best anime I have ever seen, and if you read the manga, you will not be disapointed. Claymore (magna only) is similar in style to Berserk, so if you enjoy Berserk, you will also enjoy Claymore. I bought the DVD's off of Ebay for only $20. I prefer to watch Berserk in their native tounge with subtitles as the American voice-overs are pathetic.

I really enjoyed Gundum Wing also, the plot twists and political system they had set up was really rich and made the anime that much more realistic and deep.

Trigun is another one of my favorites if you haven't seen it before, well worth the 24 episodes it comprises.

And for just plain brain-numbing fun, try Dragon Ball Z, then Dragon Ball. I was not too impressed with GT.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I really enjoyed Gundum Wing also, the plot twists and political system they had set up was really rich and made the anime that much more realistic and deep.

Trigun is another one of my favorites if you haven't seen it before, well worth the 24 episodes it comprises.

And for just plain brain-numbing fun, try Dragon Ball Z, then Dragon Ball. I was not too impressed with GT.
Combine mecha with fun and you'll get GaoGaiGar and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. You'll also get a healthy dose of epic shoutiness with minimal wangst in the deal.