1.0.3, Attack Speed Changes, and Hypocrisy
Edit: Was impulsive and extremely frustrated last night. Think things are not so bad now.
(06-20-2012, 06:46 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: I tried setting the maximum buyout to 100,000... holy crap, affordable upgrades, and here I am with 400,000 to splurge

Try setting it for less next time. It might surprise you. Big Grin

Glad to hear you found some gear. Big Grin

For instance, just now I put in Dex, Vit, Resist All armor, Demon Hunter, level 60 to 60, max buyout 20K. I got > 10 pages of stuff, sorted it by buyout, and there was an ilvl 61 piece with 40 resist all for 3K gold at the top of the list. I found a near 700 DPS Hand Crossbow for <10K. I know, you'll have to pay more for the really high ones, but, if you're having really bad luck, 7-800 DPS dex/vit/socketed may help quite a lot.

So, yeah, always put a limit on the buyout, if you want cheap upgrades. Of course, I'm trying to run this toon now w/o buying from the AH, but, when I ran my first one, I used this trick with buyout limits like 5K to outfit myself for about 40K in 'good enough' gear to get me over my hump, while making it so really good stuff could be upgrades.
--Mav
(06-20-2012, 12:40 AM)NotSoDarklord Wrote: Just ran through all of Act 3 Inferno on my barb with 870-1000 resist all, 11k armor, and 56k health. Killed all 25 or so elite packs that I encountered skipping only Keep Depths 2-3.

Whew, those are some stats. My 850 resist all, 8500 armor, 37k health Barbarian is pretty much where he was pre-patch: Act II is mostly doable, with some boss combos that just have to be skipped; Act III champion packs are not doable. My largest problem at the moment is that I lack significant life on hit, leaving just Furious Charge, Revenge procs, and 220 health regen per tick as my health restoration. Makes some boss fights a heck of a fun time. Smile
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
For the record, my 60 DH didn't really lose much. I feel like I actually gained DPS from the patch.
I had downgraded my weapon from a 800dps bow to a 570dps + cold dmg bow, in order for a little CC, and to use the Cull the Weak passive.

Now that Nether Tentacles is no longer on my bar, I switched to Ice Arrow (for free cold damage), and went back to the 800 dps bow.

The only thing about losing NT, is I don't know how to deal with IM packs now (as I haven't run into them). Hopefully the Ice Arrow shards will deal with them, but we'll see.

The repair costs do seem a little high, although I was able to cover the costs with the gold I found laying on the ground (or from environmental objects), so at the end of my session all profits came from loot.
My A1 run is pretty simple these days: Cemetery, Crypts x3, Highlands Passage to Butcher. I add in Festering Woods if I'm feeling saucy.

Last night, as I had limited time, I ran the above, but only went up to clearing Leoric's Manor. I had found 4x ilvl 62 rares, had to empty my inventory twice, and my inventory was almost half full (for the 3rd time) when I was done. I'll call 1.0.3 a success.
(06-20-2012, 06:46 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: I have noticed an odd bug while farming. I have seen many Elite groups where their attributes were not listed. They were tossing mortars or whatever, but their life bar/title was the same as any other creature. Purely cosmetic, but adds some nasty surprises.

The only ones I've seen that do not have their attributes listed are boss mobs (who can pop up in the oddest places; there was a couple of them in one of the cemetery dungeons that surprised me). They also do not give NV stacks.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
(06-20-2012, 06:46 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: I have noticed an odd bug while farming. I have seen many Elite groups where their attributes were not listed. They were tossing mortars or whatever, but their life bar/title was the same as any other creature. Purely cosmetic, but adds some nasty surprises.

I've not noticed this bug, but I have noticed one that is even worse. A couple times I've had one or two champion/rare mobs completely become untargetable. They don't respond in any way upon mouseover. No life bar, no red glow, nothing. I originally though it was a bug that was just showing me an illusion running around that wasn't really there. Nope. It was a full fledged mob and it definitely was really there. *Splat*
I don't know if this is a new or old bug/issue, but just in case, I want to give a warning about Izual. I just ran him in a group of four (yes, in normal, *sigh*), and it appeared that Izual cast a separate grouping of frozen crystals for each player. Three of the party members were melee players, so they were getting hit by the crystals cast at the other melee characters. All three of them were basically perpetually frozen throughout the fight. Even I had a hard time keeping out of the orbs, and if the whole party hadn't been in OP twink gear, the party would've been toast. Be careful if you're going to take him on in a group.
One thing I've noticed with my one session post-patch is that the "show monster health bars / values" doesn't work all the time. In the past I've used the bars to help filter out the monsters from all the background / attack visual effects, but now they don't seem to pop-up as often.
I think the biggest problem is that it made the game harder for many builds; but this goes beyond balance. Nerfing IAS to this degree slows down the pace of the game, making it more boring, and unless they throw away the garbage enrage timers, I don't see how this can make any sense. We have a mechanic that forces us to dish out as much dps as possible yet now one of the best ways to get it up is crippled? Even with top end weapons this will be a struggle.

The IAS nerf also hurts struggling/poor players more who aren't able to afford the highest damage weapons and/or primary stat gear.

For the ones that established themselves in inferno; changing it up a bit may cost a lot, but they will still be able to easily dominate parts of inferno. If you're just getting started in inferno though it's going to be even harder since crit/attack speed combo allows you to get the most out of a mediocre weapon. Combine this with massively increased repair costs, and making the jump between hell act 4 and even the nerfed inferno act 1 will be very frustrating for the entry-level inferno players.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(06-20-2012, 07:27 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: The IAS nerf also hurts struggling/poor players more who aren't able to afford the highest damage weapons and/or primary stat gear.

Oo

Any reasonable inferno stated item that had IAS on it pre-1.03 was a million plus. I've made more gold and real money selling IAS items than anything else. Prior to 1.03 people would sacrifice nearly anything to get an item with decent IAS on it.

Personally I've never bothered to stat for it. Why spend a million plus on one item when I can take a fraction of that money and deck myself out with massive resists and tons of LoH. Economically speaking IAS was almost always the most expensive, over-inflated way to stat up your character.
Really? I must have been really lucky with that 20k ias ring. :p Then again, it's a level 53 item but I think it's worked better than the level 60s I've seen on the AH.
(06-20-2012, 09:09 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Really? I must have been really lucky with that 20k ias ring. :p Then again, it's a level 53 item but I think it's worked better than the level 60s I've seen on the AH.

Without knowing the stats I couldn't tell you just how good a deal you got for that. But I would routinely sell rings or amulets with stats like:

4-7 Damage
30 Vit
30 Int/Dex/Str
10 IAS

For 700k plus.

Seeing this stuff sell always baffled me. If you change that IAS to ANY strong Inferno stat and the price drops down sub 200k usually. I have sold rings like this and then turned around the same day and bought a ring with higher damage, 200 Dex, and 50 Resist All for under 300k.
It does. I wouldn't even consider buying that for 70k. Big Grin

I think IAS spawned regularly enough on gear one finds though. The other mods wouldn't be so hot, but compared to what sells...
(06-20-2012, 04:48 AM)Quark Wrote:
(06-20-2012, 01:07 AM)RedRadical Wrote: The increased repair costs are a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE idea - I cannot stress this enough. I'm still in Inferno act 1 on my chars, and even though I can kill most packs, it still takes me at least 2 attempts usually, and that repair bill is just nasty. Makes me want to play Inferno even LESS now. Way to go Blizz. NOOOOT.

Didn't you get to Inferno long before I did? I just ... don't get it. Act 1 is not that hard. Also, had a string of deaths in Act 2 tonight. Still made a profit. Wooo.

The melee wizard is doable in Act 2, but I'm short a bit of gear for it myself. It might actually be feasible in multiplayer as opposed to solo, thanks to Barbs and Monks that can help split the damage and give me a buff.

You have to remember one thing Quark, DH has very little in defense, they're the biggest glass cannon of the game. The only reliable damage reduction they have is using Shadow Power - Gloom which doesn't last long and costs a fair bit of Discipline as well to use. Wizard has a huge number of defenses for dealing with mobs that get in their face, DH is pretty much kite, kite, kite, and kite somemore and hope you kill them before they kill you. The DH needs some serious, serious looks to make it more viable.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
While DH does still need some defense tweaking, if Inferno is changed from 1-3 shot to more of a 4-6 shot, then dodge is not as worthless, so the redesign may not need to be as radical as before.
--Mav
(06-21-2012, 12:37 AM)Mavfin Wrote: While DH does still need some defense tweaking, if Inferno is changed from 1-3 shot to more of a 4-6 shot, then dodge is not as worthless, so the redesign may not need to be as radical as before.

No, the Act 2 change basically went from being 1 to 2 shot to 2 to 3 shot (there are still some that will one shot with 30k health and 50% damage reduction from armor). So, no, it's isn't as huge a damage change as it looks on paper. Now Act 1, that's completely different and I did notice that there was a drop in damage output from some mobs (along with a weird oddity). Zombie boss was hitting me for so little in Act 1 I tanked him, until he started lobbing mortar into melee (which hurt and it was only him left, I had killed off the rest of his pack).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

I'm surviving a lot better in act 2 Inferno with my DH, so it IS a positive change. I never went glass cannon, did you?
Well, as expected, the battle.net forums are filled with a lot of people who were struggling in act 1 inferno being worse off since now they can't pay the repair bills. This doesn't affect people that can clear act 1 easily though. So in the end, the poorer players as I had anticipating suffer and I sorta understand what Redradical is experiencing. This actually makes inferno even more exclusive though if you can survive inferno act 1/2 you'll be better off. Coincidentally, this group consists of the hugest whiners... Hmm. :p

Overall, I actually find this patch to be less fun than before. The key reason why Inferno is so annoying is not fixed. The gimped drops from the later acts don't help. The chest nerf is also something that doesn't feel right-- I understand the abuses, but couldn't we make the placement more random or something? Vases I can understand.
(06-21-2012, 01:06 AM)Tuftears Wrote: I'm surviving a lot better in act 2 Inferno with my DH, so it IS a positive change. I never went glass cannon, did you?

Only if you consider 30k health, 50% damage reduction, and use of Caltrops - Spikes and Vault - Tumble to be glass cannon... >.>

(06-20-2012, 06:12 PM)MongoJerry Wrote: I don't know if this is a new or old bug/issue, but just in case, I want to give a warning about Izual. I just ran him in a group of four (yes, in normal, *sigh*), and it appeared that Izual cast a separate grouping of frozen crystals for each player. Three of the party members were melee players, so they were getting hit by the crystals cast at the other melee characters. All three of them were basically perpetually frozen throughout the fight. Even I had a hard time keeping out of the orbs, and if the whole party hadn't been in OP twink gear, the party would've been toast. Be careful if you're going to take him on in a group.

Two other people are confirming this Izual bug, so be careful out there!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889229781