Steam 2012 Summer Sale
(07-19-2012, 04:05 PM)Lissa Wrote:
(07-18-2012, 09:24 PM)Treesh Wrote: I was doing so well. Been looking at the sales out of curiosity, but didn't feel the need to buy any. Then I noticed the 4 Assassin Creed games for only about $35. Crap. >.< Ah well. Could have been worse. =) Damn you Steam!

Was Assassin's Creed Kinect among them?

Big Grin

Awesome. Thanks for the chuckle Lissa. =D
Intolerant monkey.
(07-19-2012, 04:26 PM)Treesh Wrote:
(07-19-2012, 04:05 PM)Lissa Wrote:
(07-18-2012, 09:24 PM)Treesh Wrote: I was doing so well. Been looking at the sales out of curiosity, but didn't feel the need to buy any. Then I noticed the 4 Assassin Creed games for only about $35. Crap. >.< Ah well. Could have been worse. =) Damn you Steam!

Was Assassin's Creed Kinect among them?

Big Grin

Awesome. Thanks for the chuckle Lissa. =D

The girl at the end completely puts the cherry on top of the sundae. Tongue
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(07-19-2012, 04:26 PM)Treesh Wrote: Awesome. Thanks for the chuckle Lissa. =D

Very much this! Big Grin

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(07-16-2012, 12:52 AM)Gnollguy Wrote:
(07-12-2012, 08:20 PM)Yricyn Wrote: Legend of Grimrock

I just rage quite this one. On level 5 there is a moving a tile/pit trap the requires too much turning to be able to see where you are going and I just can't get through it.

I have to be fair and come back and say that I'm now down on L7 or 8 (I forget) and that one puzzle on 5 wasn't the worst I've had to deal with. There was one later on 5 or down on 6 that was even more annoying. Even if it didn't really have any major consequences, except loss of time, if you failed, but I ended up saving and reloading a lot. The game is meant to have some difficultly, but that precise quick movement type stuff in a game like this can still frustrate me. There have been some other movement/timing puzzles but again they are generally more forgiving. So I'm forgiving them for some of those for the rest of the stuff that I really do like about this one.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I just bought the Alan Wake franchise. Someone tell me I did the right thing.
Buy this if you haven't already. $6.24 for both Portal games - good for about 9 and a half hours from this post.
(07-20-2012, 05:26 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Buy this if you haven't already. $6.24 for both Portal games - good for about 9 and a half hours from this post.

And there's only ~150K community-created maps for Portal 2.

I'm sure some of them are crap, but some of them are pretty fun if you like puzzling out how to do them. $6.24 is a steal for this pair of games if (like me) you hadn't bought them before.
--Mav
(07-20-2012, 04:35 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 05:26 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Buy this if you haven't already. $6.24 for both Portal games - good for about 9 and a half hours from this post.

I'm sure some of them are crap, but some of them are pretty fun if you like puzzling out how to do them. $6.24 is a steal for this pair of games if (like me) you hadn't bought them before.

Yep, and even if you only play through both games once in single player and only get about 17 total hours of play out of them (that is what my total time played on both them was for just beating the single player campaign) that is more than worth it because I swear I spent more than 17 hours on them just doing that, because it was just fun and interesting the whole time and not being able to solve some of the puzzles generally didn't cause annoyance like some other games can.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(07-20-2012, 04:53 PM)Gnollguy Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 04:35 PM)Mavfin Wrote:

Yep, and even if you only play through both games once in single player and only get about 17 total hours of play out of them (that is what my total time played on both them was for just beating the single player campaign) that is more than worth it because I swear I spent more than 17 hours on them just doing that, because it was just fun and interesting the whole time and not being able to solve some of the puzzles generally didn't cause annoyance like some other games can.

Well, 2 is definitely twice the length of 1 for time to complete. 1 took me around 5 to 6 hour whlie 2 took me 11 to 12 to complete. So playing 2 might have made you think that as 1 is definitely a lot shorter (and considering some of the achievements in 1 is to complete some of the top levels in 2 minutes or so, level 19 is like this especially) so 2 might skew your thoughs on how long 1 takes. 2 is definitely awesome, but I'm not sure we'll see a 3 (no spoiler on 2's ending).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Is Far Cry 2 worth picking up at $2.49? I heard some not very nice things about it.
(07-21-2012, 02:59 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Is Far Cry 2 worth picking up at $2.49? I heard some not very nice things about it.

You should watch the movie instead. I dare you.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Has anyone played All Zombies Must Die? It's one of the games in today's indie bundle. Looks like a twin stick shooter of some sort and I'm a sucker for a good zombie-based twin-stick shooter.
(07-21-2012, 05:35 PM)RTM Wrote: Has anyone played All Zombies Must Die? It's one of the games in today's indie bundle. Looks like a twin stick shooter of some sort and I'm a sucker for a good zombie-based twin-stick shooter.

TotalBiscuit's first impressions. "A cautious recommendation for the single-player, definite recommendation for co-op."

take care
Tarabulus

I'll remember you.
And thus the Steam Summer Sale 2012 comes to a close.

I realize two things. First, I only bought six games.

Trine 2
Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City
The Witcher (one) mega-enhanced edition or something
Orcs Must Die!
Fallout 3
L.A. Noire Complete Edition or something

Most likely, I'll never finish (or even play, perhaps) some of those games. I did beat Trine 2 already and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Secondly, I realized that all of those games were less than $5.00. So, from a marketing perspective, I guess $5.00 is my price point for an impulse buy of a computer game. The only time I pay more than that is when I really want a game (e.g. World of Warcraft/expansions). For instance, I bought Portal 2 earlier this year for $7.50 - and bought 2 copies so I can co-op with Mrs. Bolty! And she likes it, too; one of the very, very, very few games she actually likes to play. Once a week or two, we'll sit down for 2-3 hours and go through the co-op campaign. I make her solve the puzzles and nudge her along a bit if she gets stuck/frustrated. The key is to help without sounding condescending - my gamer reflexes are to just blow through the level the moment I see the solution.

Steam has really changed the gaming world, when you think about it. I would have never, ever played any of those games without Steam being around to lower prices on older material. It really is evidence of a company that understands its market, unlike the music recording industry. Those idiots eventually had Apple force them to do things intelligently, and thus lost enormous amounts of potential profit.

If Steam didn't exist, would we be buying games from iTunes? I bet we would.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(07-23-2012, 07:06 PM)Bolty Wrote: If Steam didn't exist, would we be buying games from iTunes? I bet we would.

I wouldn't only because I won't have iTunes installed on my game PC. I had so many problems with iTunes causing disconnects early on in WoW that I rage-quit and uninstalled the software. Not to mention all the times that it caused my main window (WoW or other game) to minimalize in order to point out that there was a software update...
(07-23-2012, 07:06 PM)Bolty Wrote: If Steam didn't exist, would we be buying games from iTunes? I bet we would.

I know I wouldn't be. Never have even installed it. And the only time I used Direct2drive was when Bethesda released one game on it (the free offer deal) and it wasn't as nice of an interface as Steam plus liked to throw errors. More than likely, if it wasn't for Steam, I just wouldn't be buying the old games at all. Of course, I originally only installed Steam because of the free Portal weekend. Never looked back and am THRILLED that Bethesda has the free game deals with Steam.

I actually ended up spending about $40 on this summer sale, but I grabbed 7 games for less than the price of a new one so I'm happy. =) Now to just get the time to play them all. =D
Intolerant monkey.
I spent around $125, but ended up with around 15 to 17 games out of it (Star Wars package was $50 and had like 10 to 12 games in it and Batman had Asylum and City and all related DLC along with pre-ordering TL 2 and get Borderlands 1).

I would not because of who runs iTunes. I will not support a corporation like that.

I really wanted to get skyrim when it hit the flash sale for $29.99. I couldn't pull the trigger because despite its issues Diablo 3 still has too much playability for me and GW2 is out next month.
(07-23-2012, 09:47 PM)Lissa Wrote: I would not because of who runs iTunes. I will not support a corporation like that.

<derail>
I understand people's issues with Apple, but, most who say this happily use Microsoft Windows daily without blinking. I find Microsoft to be much the same, and indeed, showed the way to those practices.

Seems a pot/kettle situation to me, but, to each his own. Big Grin
<end derail>
--Mav
(07-23-2012, 10:23 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(07-23-2012, 09:47 PM)Lissa Wrote: I would not because of who runs iTunes. I will not support a corporation like that.

<derail>
I understand people's issues with Apple, but, most who say this happily use Microsoft Windows daily without blinking. I find Microsoft to be much the same, and indeed, showed the way to those practices.

Seems a pot/kettle situation to me, but, to each his own. Big Grin
<end derail>

Only comment I'm going to make.

Yes, Microsoft and Google have done some pretty shady things, but Apple takes it to a whole new level. I suggest you educate yourself on some of the things Apple has done with the way it treats other companies and their own consumers. There's a reason a large number of people refuse to do business with Apple, but will still do business with Microsoft and Google even though they don't like some of the things that they (MS and Google) have done as well.