Steam 2012 Summer Sale
For those of you who are cheap like me, the Steam 2012 Summer Sale has started today. Watch for the daily and "flash" deals for rock-bottom prices on games.

Some of those huge gaming packs are just sensational deals - you could, with one purchase, buy more games than you'd ever get to play...for the cost of one AAA title.

Edit: added what the Steam Sale does to your finances:

[Image: fVbL7.gif]
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(07-12-2012, 06:39 PM)Bolty Wrote: For those of you who are cheap like me, the Steam 2012 Summer Sale has started today. Watch for the daily and "flash" deals for rock-bottom prices on games.

Some of those huge gaming packs are just sensational deals - you could, with one purchase, buy more games than you'd ever get to play...for the cost of one AAA title.

Yeah I have a ton of games that I never play because of some of the game packs. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I haven't gotten around to it in many cases.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Steam sales are The Worst Thing. I feel so guilty buying games, knowing that I'm just adding to my backlog. And after 2 or 3 years of these stupid sales, I cannot with a clear conscience yell at my wife for buying something "just because it was on sale".

arrrgh Bethsoft Bundle! Legend of Grimrock, nooooo!

*throws money at screen, turns away in shame*
Legend of Grimrock and Orcs Must Die are on my hitlist.
(07-12-2012, 08:20 PM)Yricyn Wrote: Legend of Grimrock and Orcs Must Die are on my hitlist.

Note to self: Never, never, never open these threads! I had not heard of either of these. I bought my first computer, an Apple II+, just to play the original Wizardry (geez! 30 years - get off my lawn!). I doubt I could come close to listing all the dungeon crawls I've played since then.

Gather round kiddies. Let grandpa tell you a tale of the good old days. There was a time when we put pencil to paper and drew maps of the dungeons we were working through, and that was actually fun. I won't even try to relate to you the fun had with a single magic word, Tiltowait!
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
If anyone hasn't played the Portal series, Portal 1+2 for $6.24 is too good to pass up.

Seriously, buy those right now. Don't think - just do it.
Agreed. Anyone who owns a PC (or modern console) and has not played Portal aught to be locked up until they do!

Legend of Grimrock had been on my radar for a while and I was waiting for Steam's next sale to get it Wink
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Hi,

(07-13-2012, 12:13 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: There was a time when we put pencil to paper and drew maps of the dungeons we were working through, and that was actually fun.

Oooh, I have fond memories of carefully mapping tiled dungeons, and using a Magician spell called SCSI (Scry Sight) in The Bard's Tale to get the current map coordinates of the location the party to check if I was still mapping correctly. My suspense of disbelief was a lot stronger in the '80s than it is now. Tongue

Game magazines providing maps of dungeons were hotly sought after as well...

Anyway, thanks Bolty for the note about the Steam sale! Mustn't tell the wife about this...

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Picked up Trine 2 on a flash sale this morning for like $3.75. Enjoyed the original, even if it's a one-play-through kind of game.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
[Image: steam-sale-540x405.jpg]

I'm actually determined not to spend anything this time; not even on stuff I really want. I've got way too much of a backlog to go through and quite a lot of expenses to clear up over the next month.

... just in time for the Thanksgiving sale. Blah.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
(07-13-2012, 01:20 AM)DeeBye Wrote: If anyone hasn't played the Portal series, Portal 1+2 for $6.24 is too good to pass up.

Seriously, buy those right now. Don't think - just do it.

Yeah, I couldn't pass that up. I similarly grabbed L4D1/2 last year for like 7 bucks for both or something.
--Mav
So I was just thinking "Man, why didn't I nab Portal 2 while it was 75% off?" Then I looked at my Steam library and realized I have bought Portal 2 during some previous Steam sale but never downloaded it. Ahhh, good times.
Knights of the Old Repunlic for $2.49 is a steal. If I didn't already have it I'd be all over that.

I'm hoping L4D2 wins the current voting poll. I haven't played either L4D game.

edit: hell ya L4D2 won.

editx2: I keep seeing that Left 4 Dead 2 is geared towards co-op gameplay. I mostly prefer story-driven singleplayer games - should I still buy it?
I have only played it Single Player. AI picks up the other characters. Humans would definitely `play' smarter, but the game is still entirely playable like this. Rather than a detailed story, however, the game is more mission-based.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(07-14-2012, 08:49 PM)DeeBye Wrote: Knights of the Old Repunlic for $2.49 is a steal. If I didn't already have it I'd be all over that.

I'm hoping L4D2 wins the current voting poll. I haven't played either L4D game.

edit: hell ya L4D2 won.

editx2: I keep seeing that Left 4 Dead 2 is geared towards co-op gameplay. I mostly prefer story-driven singleplayer games - should I still buy it?

It's not story-driven, but completely playable single player. You basically just kill everything that moves until you get to your objectives. The entire story is basically you're one of four survivors trying to get the hell out and that's it. Still fun as hell though, even just single player and screaming at the AI, usually "If you wouldn't get in my line of fire, I wouldn't shoot your ass! MOVE!" Wink
Intolerant monkey.
All I have to say is ORCS MUST DIE!!!!!!!

Jr.
I buckled. Bought the Arkham City bundle even though I have no interest in Gotham City Imposters (Though I might play a few games of it now) and already had a disc copy of Arkham Asylum GOTY. But the amount I saved on what's pretty much the Arkham City GOTY is ludicrous, and I am looking at getting over £90 worth of game for less than £20. I'd go and punch Gabe, but he apparently has a very large collection of knives.

But this is it! I can quit any time I want.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
...dammit Bolty.

Now I've purchased Batman: Arkham Asylum.
Dead Space 2, Just Cause 2, and GTA 4 are the next ones to vote for.

I actually just re-installed Dead Space 1 yesterday and was thinking I'd like to pick up the 2nd one because it is a damn good game.

Vote Dead Space 2!
(07-12-2012, 08:20 PM)Yricyn Wrote: Legend of Grimrock

I just rage quite this one. On level 5 there is a moving a tile/pit trap the requires too much turning to be able to see where you are going and I just can't get through it.

I get frustrated by the timing puzzles in this game pretty quickly, I'll give them a go two or three times then it just gets annoying in a game that in most other instances is pretty turn based. I know combat is real time and I got used to that, but it still moves pretty slowly. I'm worried that the precedents I'm seeing set on level 5 are just going to get worse, which sucks because I really like the game. I like the whole modernized dungeon crawler type game and while there are secrets and tricks and stuff they have been pretty consistent.

I've even gotten pretty good and circle attacking on the mobs to avoid damage (even though at times I do still want the really old school Wizardry 1 / 2 style just line up my attacks for the round and let it things go.)

But the 5th time falling through the floor, and the 2nd time after mapping out the pattern so I could get through without having to turn and see where I'm going. Frustrated in a bad way. I get frustrated at other times because I know I should be more clever and see the answer sooner, but this time, I see the answer and I can't execute it, and that is not what I signed up for. Smile
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.