Conservative Britain
Rather than speculate, I thought I'd ask our European friends what this throw down of Gordon Brown's Labour party means in Britain?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Rather than speculate, I thought I'd ask our European friends what this throw down of Gordon Brown's Labour party means in Britain?
Six more weeks of winter.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Six more weeks of winter.

Occhi
Not possible, I'm afraid. There's not 56 weeks in the year:P
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Rather than speculate, I thought I'd ask our European friends what this throw down of Gordon Brown's Labour party means in Britain?

Since Gordon Brown does't have to call a General Election until 2010 not much. In Foreign Policy he'll probably be more anti-EU (always popular with most of the press), he might withdraw British troops from Basra. In internal politics there isn't much he can do, to spend more he would have to raise taxes or increase the state debt, both of which he can't afford. House prices are likely to drop even further than in the States. Basically he's buggered and it will be a lame duck government until the election.
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”

The thing happening in the UK since the Iraq war is that the labour party has shifted to the right.... they looked like a second conservative party. I guess they had this coming.
Quote:The thing happening in the UK since the Iraq war is that the labour party has shifted to the right.... they looked like a second conservative party. I guess they had this coming.
That is interesting. There is a Republican talk show host here in town that says the same thing about the Republicans trying to embrace traditionally Democrat issues. If the choice is between a watered down version and the real thing the voters will go with the authentic choice.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:That is interesting. There is a Republican talk show host here in town that says the same thing about the Republicans trying to embrace traditionally Democrat issues. If the choice is between a watered down version and the real thing the voters will go with the authentic choice.

Yes, and of course the fact that in a semi-2 party system usually after a few years people get fed up with the ruling party and choose for the other one.
Quote:Yes, and of course the fact that in a semi-2 party system usually after a few years people get fed up with the ruling party and choose for the other one.
Heh, yes. The swing between "I want to rob you of your freedom" and "I want to rob you of your money".

Quote:Heh, yes. The swing between "I want to rob you of your freedom" and "I want to rob you of your money".
Swing? You mean you get to choose between those two?

Labour has been robbing us of both freedom and money since practically day one.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Swing? You mean you get to choose between those two?

Labour has been robbing us of both freedom and money since practically day one.

Sounds familiar :/

Ideally, yeah, we'd get a choice, but some party which touts fiscal responsibility has been spending way more than we can afford. They'll still cut taxes, though, so instead of paying for it bad now we'll pay horribly for it later.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:some party which touts fiscal responsibility has been spending way more than we can afford. They'll still cut taxes, though, so instead of paying for it bad now we'll pay horribly for it later.

I think the issue here is that they feel (rightly so?) they are unelectable if they do not cut taxes.

--me
Quote:Sounds familiar :/

Ideally, yeah, we'd get a choice, but some party which touts fiscal responsibility has been spending way more than we can afford. They'll still cut taxes, though, so instead of paying for it bad now we'll pay horribly for it later.
Yes! We just got our "Economic Stimulus (e.g. Inflationary) Check", so I figured since they are borrowing the money from my sons I would deposit it into their college fund.