Sony being evil
Could you PLEASE put direct replies on the actual threads you respond too? I think you and you only have not done this on half half the threads in this forum.

Everybody else in the forum does it. It works well. It makes everyone happy. As it is now people dont even know what you are addressing.

Note: Im not complaining about when you have new or original imput relative to the first post. This particular one may be fine. I just put it here to get your attention.
Roland,Nov 21 2005, 07:22 PM Wrote:I know that, but it serves the purpose of my point. We, as consumers, should not be coerced into buying a product with a definite, limited, measurable lifespan (food excluded), especially not something that was designed to be used throughout a lifetime (or longer). It's one thing for musical CDs, for example, to wear out due to frequent use, abuse, etc. It's entirely another thing to buy musical CDs, only to be unable to play them because the music labels want to prevent pirating.

Sony is getting hit hard with lawsuits, and it's just the tip of the iceberg. I truly cannot wait to see the outcome of all this. I hope, for our sake as consumers, that the lawsuits against Sony, et al are 100% successful. I don't have a personal vendetta against Sony, per se, but it would be GRAND to send a clear message to everyone who seeks to control OUR property, and limit OUR consumerism: "We're not gonna take it!"

(Thank you Twisted Sister. :))
[right][snapback]95467[/snapback][/right]

I have a working betamax machine that I keep well tuned, as well as several GOOD vhs machines stowed neatly away in their original boxes until they are needed.

I have thousands of videotapes that I would like to keep watching :P
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Nov 21 2005, 03:54 PM Wrote:Sony slammed in spyware suit.

Ouch.
[right][snapback]95459[/snapback][/right]

I have questions.

Spyware Trouble = 4.7 million cd's recalled * $100,000, however is this lawsuit only for Texas?

Does this lawsuit include the possible civil suit or copyright infringement suits?

If not, then once everything’s said and done this could set Sony back hundreds of millions of dollars, and I'm not including legal fees or possible artist fees resulting from a breech of contract on Sony's part in regards to the free downloadable songs they are offering on their website of the tainted CD's.

It's really a shame this had to happen the way it did. I regard Sony products pretty highly in my household and would never normally hesitate to buy a Sony product over another name-brand, but I have found myself second guessing products as of late, software specifically. As someone else already stated however, I'm just curious how everything will pan out in the end. It really is a shame, but when you dance with the piper you'll eventually have to pay him and his price can be rather steep :whistling: .
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
BRAVO!
Quote:HOUSTON (Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott filed a civil lawsuit on Monday against Sony BMG Music Entertainment (6758.T) for hiding "spyware" software on its compact discs in a bid to thwart music copying.

According to the lawsuit filed in Travis County, several of the company's music compact discs require customers to download Sony's media players if they want to listen to the CDs on a computer.

Software included with that media player "remains hidden and active" after installation, the Attorney General's office said, and makes users vulnerable to security risks and possible identity theft.

Sony said on its Web site that it had recalled all CDs that were installed with its XCP technology designed to prevent illegal music copying, Abbott said, but Texas investigators were able to purchase several of the CDs at Austin retailers on Sunday.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
MEAT,Nov 22 2005, 01:03 AM Wrote:I have questions.

Spyware Trouble = 4.7 million cd's recalled * $100,000, however is this lawsuit only for Texas?

Does this lawsuit include the possible civil suit or copyright infringement suits?

If not, then once everything’s said and done this could set Sony back hundreds of millions of dollars, and I'm not including legal fees or possible artist fees resulting from a breech of contract on Sony's part in regards to the free downloadable songs they are offering on their website of the tainted CD's.

It's really a shame this had to happen the way it did. I regard Sony products pretty highly in my household and would never normally hesitate to buy a Sony product over another name-brand, but I have found myself second guessing products as of late, software specifically. As someone else already stated however, I'm just curious how everything will pan out in the end. It really is a shame, but when you dance with the piper you'll eventually have to pay him and his price can be rather steep  :whistling: .
[right][snapback]95480[/snapback][/right]

I heard on the radio that several other states were getting ready to sic their lawyers on Sony for violating various laws, something about breaching the public trust or something or other, etc. And a lot of people are also getting their own lawyers out for a little exercise. I do believe that Sony is about to hemmorage some serious money. If you are one of the people that got slipped a mickey, depending on the state you live in, you may be entitled to get you some hefty bags full of free money.

I wonder how many states are going to jump on this bandwagon. Also, I wonder if it will go higher than a state court. I don't know enough about this sort of stuff to know what might happen, but this can't be good.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."