Why does my local Dominoes suck so bad?
Ghostiger,Oct 10 2005, 12:24 AM Wrote:Well efficiency has a specific meaning which you arent using. Its how much energy is required to do something - in this case cook.

All else being equal(as in the original case with a stone put in a conventional oven) heating up all that extra mass - is inefficient. It surely does make for better cooking, its just not more effiecient.

On a a side note in a commercial type oven that ineffiecieny disappears for the most part because the oven is kept on for long periods of time.
[right][snapback]91500[/snapback][/right]

My stove is always burning. Even if it's just on low. I like to keep a tea kettle full of water rather warm around for all kinds of practical reasons.

There is something comforting about a warm stove... Which is of course something that can not be measured with physics.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Griselda,Oct 9 2005, 07:11 PM Wrote:So, economically speaking, you may be better off if your service at Domino's sucks.
[right][snapback]91430[/snapback][/right]
... or avoid commodity services altogether... who needs fast food, banks, petrol stations, and malls anyway? :P
whyBish,Oct 10 2005, 12:29 AM Wrote:Yup, I already do, but thanks for the stone idea... I will have to try that.  My Pizza always come out dry the way you described... (Does this count as a new dog learning old tricks?  :P )
[right][snapback]91501[/snapback][/right]

Pizza stone and 500 degree or more oven. Set pizza directly on the stone. Even in an electric stove, it will cook in minutes. You are going to need a large wooden pizza shovel. Which is also good for paddling unruly children. :lol:

And do not get a glazed stone. The glaze has toxins released in high heat.

Even el-cheapo frozen pizzas taste somewhat better when cooked on a stone.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
whyBish,Oct 10 2005, 12:33 AM Wrote:... or avoid commodity services altogether... who needs fast food, banks, petrol stations, and malls anyway?  :P
[right][snapback]91503[/snapback][/right]

Fast food is disgusting and loathesome, I don't own a car, and malls annoy me to no end... They are the fortresses of ignorance.

Banks though.... I like banks.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Oct 10 2005, 01:10 AM Wrote:Alton Brown however has wrote what almost comes out as a Doctoral Thesis on heat and applied physics in the kitchen.
[right][snapback]91498[/snapback][/right]

I'd just like to say that I love watching Alton Brown and have learned many things from him. I hate cooking shows, but Good Eats always has me hooked.

edit: I guess I should say that I do own a pizza stone. I use it when I make homemade pizza, but every once in a while it's fun and easy to simply order it.
Doc,Oct 10 2005, 06:34 PM Wrote:and 500 degree or more oven.
[right][snapback]91504[/snapback][/right]

OK, it just took me two days to figure out you meant 500F not 500C...

It makes more sense to melt the cheese, rather than smelt it. :P
Doc,Oct 10 2005, 06:36 PM Wrote:Fast food is disgusting and loathesome, I don't own a car, and malls annoy me to no end... They are the fortresses of ignorance.

Banks though.... I like banks.
[right][snapback]91505[/snapback][/right]
Same to all.

Banks are great to own. I currently work for a bank and our company is doing projects for at least three of the five main banks. They can afford to have very inefficient practices, and multiple layers of management that have no decision-making authority. Almost as good to do projects for as Govt organisations :P
Jester,Oct 9 2005, 10:46 PM Wrote:"All pizza outside of New York and especially Brooklyn tastes like cowpies."

Wasn't there once a place called Itlee... no... Eataliuh... no, wait... it's coming...

Nah, never mind. I can't imagine they have good pizzas there anyway.

:P

Jester
[right][snapback]91495[/snapback][/right]

Not quite, though you are on the right track as far as my palate is concerned. The cowpies assertion is indeed false. I had three glorious years of experience to confirm my belief in the True Home Town of Pizza: Bella Napoli.

La Pizza Vera was invented in Naples, Italy, in the 16th century as I recall on the occasion of a visit by the Austrian Empress Margharita. (The style is still called "Pizza Margharita.") The dough/crust is made of water, yeast, 00 Semolina flour, salt, and olive oil, topped by a sauce made of fresh tomatoes (pomodori) basil, salt, mozarella cheese (fresh) and I think a splash further olive oil. A boss of mine had a pizza oven in his back yard, and twice a year the entire office would go to his house for a pizza party: we'd make it right there, fresh. Best deal of all is that the best Mozarella, Mozarella di Bufala, is made in Mondragone, just 15 km north of Naples, so fresh Mozarella of the highest quality is never out of stock in Naples.

The crust is very thin compared to American Pizza. It is cooked in a specially constructed oven made of brick and tile, heated by wood fire, with cooking temps in the realm of 700F. The long paddles take some getting used to, I lost a few pizzas to spazzing out with the paddle. The pizza cooks much faster than a similar American pizza, and standard size is a touch smaller than a standard American Medium pizza.

To my palate, the pizza in Naples, Italy, cannot be beat topped by any pizza, anywhere. Lighter, more flavorful, and of course one can add a variety of toppings. The fresh local tomatoes, grown in volcanic soil, are the clincher in the sauce, likewise a delicate crust that nearly demands a knife and fork attack mode.

That said, many folks who were raised on pizza in the US disagree with some vehemence, as they prefer the heavier and more highly spiced American pizza sauces and crusts. I cannot fault them for their preference.

In reality, pizza is a fine meal for anyone, particularly Leshy. :D

The best pizza in America, in terms of faithfulness to La Pizza Vera, is served at a place called Lombardi's in New York. The core problem is getting into that place, it is world famous. I don't do lines for dinner.

There were some good brick oven pizza places in Connecticut where one could have a fine Pizza Margherita . . . just not up to Napoli standard.

Pizza made in America is as different from La Pizza Vera as spaghetti or farfalla pasta is different from Chinese noodles. Its roots are similar, but a new species has developed.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 12 2005, 05:04 PM Wrote:Not quite, though you are on the right track as far as my palate is concerned.  The cowpies assertion is indeed false.  I had three glorious years of experience to confirm my belief in the True Home Town of Pizza: Bella Napoli. 

La Pizza Vera was invented in Naples, Italy, in the 16th century as I recall on the occasion of a visit by the Austrian Empress Margharita.  (The style is still called "Pizza Margharita.")  The dough/crust is made of water, yeast, 00 Semolina flour, salt, and olive oil, topped by a sauce made of fresh tomatoes (pomodori) basil, salt, mozarella cheese (fresh) and I think a splash further olive oil.  A boss of mine had a pizza oven in his back yard, and twice a year the entire office would go to his house for a pizza party: we'd make it right there, fresh.  Best deal of all is that the best Mozarella, Mozarella di Bufala, is made in Mondragone, just 15 km north of Naples, so fresh Mozarella of the highest quality is never out of stock in Naples.

The crust is very thin compared to American Pizza.  It is cooked in a specially constructed oven made of brick and tile, heated by wood fire, with cooking temps in the realm of 700F.  The long paddles take some getting used to, I lost a few pizzas to spazzing out with the paddle.  The pizza cooks much faster than a similar American pizza, and standard size is a touch smaller than a standard American Medium pizza.

To my palate, the pizza in Naples, Italy, cannot be beat topped by any pizza, anywhere.  Lighter, more flavorful, and of course one can add a variety of toppings.  The fresh local tomatoes, grown in volcanic soil, are the clincher in the sauce, likewise a delicate crust that nearly demands a knife and fork attack mode. 

That said, many folks who were raised on pizza in the US disagree with some vehemence, as they prefer the heavier and more highly spiced American pizza sauces and crusts.  I cannot fault them for their preference. 

In reality, pizza is a fine meal for anyone, particularly Leshy.  :D 

The best pizza in America, in terms of faithfulness to La Pizza Vera, is served at a place called Lombardi's in New York.  The core problem is getting into that place, it is world famous.  I don't do lines for dinner. 

There were some good brick oven pizza places in Connecticut where one could have a fine Pizza Margherita . . .  just not up to Napoli standard.

Pizza made in America is as different from La Pizza Vera as spaghetti or farfalla pasta is different from Chinese noodles.  Its roots are similar, but a new species has developed.

Occhi
[right][snapback]91846[/snapback][/right]

That is the sort of pizza I like... Which I make at home.

However, I do on occasion love American deep dish pie.

Water buffalo cheese is sooooo good. Haven't had any for a while.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
whyBish,Oct 10 2005, 12:33 AM Wrote:... or avoid commodity services altogether... who needs fast food, banks, petrol stations, and malls anyway?  :P
[right][snapback]91503[/snapback][/right]
Nobody needs them. Fast food, malls, Walmarts, etc. exist because they are convenient. People will pay through the nose for convenience. I know I do, often reluctantly and sometimes without even realizing it. This is why I will become richer than Bill Gates and universally famous when I figure out how to bottle convenience. Just like a drug dealer I will first offer free samples to everyone, but the regular retail price will be extraordinarily high.

Everyone will pay for it. Many people will use it indiscriminately while others will keep a bottle on hand just for emergencies. Stuck in traffic and late for your big presentation? Take a sip of convenience and your boss will call you to let you know that the meeting was rescheduled for later in the day. Trouble with mice in your basement? Crack open a bottle of convenience and a passing stray cat will kill the mice and then continue on its way to find a new home.

Convenience connoisseurs will emerge. Books will be written on whether convenience should be served chilled or at room temperature. People will dip cookies and crackers in it. It could even replace coffee as a morning beverage.

Eventually the whole world will be psychologically dependent on bottled convenience, and they'll have no idea how they managed to live life without it.

And I will be the wealthiest man ever.

--Copadope
DeeBye,Oct 10 2005, 05:40 AM Wrote:edit: I guess I should say that I do own a pizza stone.  I use it when I make homemade pizza, but every once in a while it's fun and easy to simply order it.
[right][snapback]91509[/snapback][/right]

I've ordered many a pizza in college, but now I've found that it's a lot easier (and tastier) to make your own. My problem with the local pizza joints isn't that it's crap with bad service--it just takes forever to make it worthless from a convenience standpoint. Hell, with my last order from Papa Johns, I could've spent the 90 minutes making the dough, cooking the sauce, grating the cheese, and making the sides instead of waiting for the pizza guy to show.

But I have pizza down to a budgeted science. ^_^
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Copadope,Oct 12 2005, 09:06 PM Wrote:Convenience connoisseurs will emerge. Books will be written on whether convenience should be served chilled or at room temperature. People will dip cookies and crackers in it. It could even replace coffee as a morning beverage. [right][snapback]91896[/snapback][/right]

Those are fightin' words, sirrah.

*Slaps Copadope with glove shaped trout*

Shall it be sabers or pistols at dawn? :blink:

*Faint echo of John Cleese's voice*

"It's people like you what cause unrest."

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Blashphemer! Stone him!

(Yet more Monty Python)

This cup of coffee is good enough for Jahova.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Copadope,Oct 12 2005, 10:06 PM Wrote:Eventually the whole world will be psychologically dependent on bottled convenience, and they'll have no idea how they managed to live life without it.

And I will be the wealthiest man ever.
[right][snapback]91896[/snapback][/right]

You can be the wealthiest man ever as long as you don't take away my bottled water! :P

I think bottled water is amongst the silliest 'convienance' things ever created.

As far as the world being dependent on convienance, how much further do we really need to go before we get there? :whistling:

Take it all as tongue in cheek ;)

Cheers,

Munk
Ghostiger,Oct 9 2005, 11:44 AM Wrote:It amazes me that a chain like Dominos selling such low quality food can be a success.
[right][snapback]91453[/snapback][/right]

Oh yea? Try eating at Imo's.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Munkay,Oct 13 2005, 01:16 PM Wrote:I think bottled water is amongst the silliest 'convienance' things ever created.
[right][snapback]91974[/snapback][/right]

It also tastes crappy.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Oct 13 2005, 02:11 PM Wrote:It also tastes crappy.
[right][snapback]91980[/snapback][/right]

Agreed. Bottled beer tastes much better. :D

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 13 2005, 04:31 PM Wrote:Agreed.  Bottled beer tastes much better.  :D

Occhi
[right][snapback]92003[/snapback][/right]

Actually, that's the reason I drink lots of sprite or lemonade instead of water. Just sub those in for beer.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Oct 13 2005, 05:19 PM Wrote:Actually, that's the reason I drink lots of sprite or lemonade instead of water.  Just sub those in for beer.
[right][snapback]92012[/snapback][/right]

Oooh, danger Will Robinson!

Lemonade, while a fine drink in its own right, cannot be substituted in for beer. Nor Sprite, another fine, refreshing beverage. One might quaff such noble liquids in the stead of beer, but not as a substitute for beer!

Perish the thought!

'Twas a woman drove me to drink, I never wrote to thank her. ~W.C. Fields~

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 13 2005, 06:37 PM Wrote:Oooh, danger Will Robinson! 

Lemonade, while a fine drink in its own right, cannot be substituted in for beer.  Nor Sprite, another fine, refreshing beverage.  One might quaff such noble liquids in the stead of beer, but not as a substitute for beer!

Perish the thought!

'Twas a woman drove me to drink, I never wrote to thank her.  ~W.C. Fields~

Occhi
[right][snapback]92023[/snapback][/right]

Beer does smell pretty nasty, plus I like to stay as much under control as possible, so I'll stick to sprite and such.