Why does my local Dominoes suck so bad?
Are the Dominoes pizza delivery guys brain-dead in general, or did I just get cursed with the worst delivery guy ever?

I ordered a combo pizza package which should have included a 2-topping medium pizza, an order of their cheezy bread, and 3 cans of pop.

When the pizza guy arrived, he brought me the pizza and the bread but he forgot the cans of pop. He also did not have enough change. The bill came to $21.99 (cad) and I gave him $30 and told him to make it an even $25 (I used to be a pizza guy so I like to tip pizza guys). He didn't have enough change on him to give me $5 back. What kind of pizza delivery guy doesn't have $5 on them?

Anyhow, he said he'd go back to his store and get me the cans of pop and the change. 30 minutes later he came back with 2 pops (I ordered 3) and no change. WTF?

After another trip back to his store he came back and gave me change for my $30, sans pop of course. I feel really stupid for tipping him now.

Also, the pizza from Dominoes tasted like ass. I'll never order from there again. I'll stick to the local mom-n-pop pizza place down the street that has never done me wrong in the 5 years I have ordered from them.
Sounds like you just have a bad location my Canadian friend. I have been eating Dominoe's for years and have never had service like that. Some stores just suck. =/
WWBBD?
I've had several pizza delivery jobs in my life, including one at Domino's. It's very easy to forget things like drinks and salads, because most of the time orders are tracked by pizza boxes. You know you have a delivery ready when all of the boxes for a particular order are full. Since most people don't order things like salads, drinks, containers of ranch, or stuff like that, it can be very easy to forget to bring them. I was pretty good about it, most of the time, but I'd forget sometimes when it was busy. I don't think I every forgot twice in a row, though!

Not having enough change is just silly, though. The only reasonable thing I can think of is that your driver took several pizzas on the current run, and the other houses cleared him out of change. If everyone pays with $20's, you can only go to so many houses before a $5 and ten $1's run out. Of course, forgetting to bring change back when you return might just mean that you suck as a delivery driver, though. :P

Yeah, and don't order from Domino's if you expect a good pizza. :unsure:

One comforting thought, though. I heard somewhere that you can gauge the state of the economy by judging the workers at your local fast food or chain pizza place. If you are served by an employee who seems generally literate, knowledgeable, friendly, and who knows how to make change, the economy is probably not doing so well. If it were, that person would not be working in fast food.

If you are served by somebody who is incompetent, that probably means that the labor pool is small enough that there weren't enough capable people available to fill the available jobs.

So, economically speaking, you may be better off if your service at Domino's sucks.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Make pizza your self at home.

Invest in an unglazed patio tile as a pizza stone for your oven. About 5 bucks from any home improvement store. Or they sell the same thing in a kitchen store for about 30 to 50 dollars, but it has a fancy name and a long list of thermal features and scientifically designed for superiour pizza baking. Take it home, toss it on your bottom rack, and leave it there. You just improved the thermal effeciancy of your oven considerably. Everything will bake better.

Make your own dough, roll out a crust, add sauce, cheese, and toppings. Fun for the whole family. Kids can make their own mini pizzas, and everybody gets what they want. And you can add a metric ton of cheese.

And I should mention that making your own is super cheap compared to having to pay for it from Dominos. Tastes better too. Anything is better than the nasty, greasy, gooey, half baked ball of glop.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
See, this is why the Mafia should start in pizza delivery. The delivery boys will make damn sure they don't screw up or make late an order.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Actually, being forced to deliver pizza and Italian food is something that La Casa Nosta already does to it's hoodlums. It's humiliating and degrading to be a suit but still forced to work such a peon job. It's punishment for screwing up. It's so humiliating that you make damn sure you never screw up again.

Chinese Mob does the same thing, forcing a suit to deliver Chinese food and work for tips. Gotta be the worst thing you could do to a made man... Rob him of his dignity and respect.

And if you don't know what being a suit means, or being made, or what La Cosa Nosta means, I don't know either. No earthly idea. :whistling:
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
DeeBye,Oct 9 2005, 12:06 AM Wrote:the pizza from Dominoes tasted like ass. 
[right][snapback]91425[/snapback][/right]

Just dont buy Pizza from Dominos. If you dont have a good local chain or independent shop then go with Papa Johns or even Pizza Hut.

It amazes me that a chain like Dominos selling such low quality food can be a success.
Doc,Oct 9 2005, 07:38 AM Wrote:Make pizza your self at home.

You just improved the thermal effeciancy of your oven considerably.

[right][snapback]91441[/snapback][/right]

Care to explain?
The Dominoes that delivers to our area isn't so great either. The last time we ordered from them it took over an hour to arrive and we weren't sure it was ever even put into the oven it was so cold.

I think delivery boys in general are getting pretty lazy. There have been quite a few lately who will call on their cell phone to say they've arrived and ask if we were coming out to their car to get it.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Ghostiger,Oct 9 2005, 11:46 AM Wrote:Care to explain?
[right][snapback]91454[/snapback][/right]

You have radiant heat.

When you preheat your oven to 500 degrees for the ideal pizza crust, and open the oven door, most of your searing heat goes out the door. But with a pizza stone, you pop open the door and slide the pizza on to the stone, which is still a searing 500 degrees with little or no heat loss. This means that your crust flash cooks holding in moisture which makes it chewy. Otherwise, when the heat drops, the outer shell of the crust does not flash cook, which allows a lot of steam to escape from your dough. Which makes it dried out and rubbery. All the moisture released makes your veggies on the pizza wilt. So you get slimey snot-like pizza.

A pizza stone is also excellent for baking cookies as the unglazed stone pulls moisture out of the air. Don't bake cookies on the stone, just on the rack above. The radiant heat makes the cookies chewy and crispy on the outside, moist and soft and chewy in the middle.

Go look up pizza stone on food network or Alton Brown's site for actual thermodynamic discussions.

It all boils down to physics.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Oct 9 2005, 10:30 AM Wrote:...It all boils down to physics.
[right][snapback]91458[/snapback][/right]
I thought it all boiled down into bread...

...I made a funny!
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
It must be a regional thing. In my area the Dominoes pizza places are pretty good. Not as good as Papa Johns but significantly better than the Pizza Huts. In general, all of the Pizza Huts in the Seattle area are horrible. Their pizzas always come out burned yet doughy. Of course, my parents tell me that the Pizza Huts that they used to go to in Ohio were about as good as any other place in their area.
-TheDragoon
Griselda,Oct 9 2005, 02:11 AM Wrote:So, economically speaking, you may be better off if your service at Domino's sucks.
[right][snapback]91430[/snapback][/right]

That's awesome. I like the way you think.
DeeBye,Oct 8 2005, 10:06 PM Wrote:Are the Dominoes pizza delivery guys brain-dead in general, or did I just get cursed with the worst delivery guy ever?

I ordered a combo pizza package which should have included a 2-topping medium pizza, an order of their cheezy bread, and 3 cans of pop.

When the pizza guy arrived, he brought me the pizza and the bread but he forgot the cans of pop.  He also did not have enough change.  The bill came to $21.99 (cad) and I gave him $30 and told him to make it an even $25 (I used to be a pizza guy so I like to tip pizza guys).  He didn't have enough change on him to give me $5 back.  What kind of pizza delivery guy doesn't have $5 on them?

Anyhow, he said he'd go back to his store and get me the cans of pop and the change.  30 minutes later he came back with 2 pops (I ordered 3) and no change.  WTF?

After another trip back to his store he came back and gave me change for my $30, sans pop of course.  I feel really stupid for tipping him now.

Also, the pizza from Dominoes tasted like ass.  I'll never order from there again. I'll stick to the local mom-n-pop pizza place down the street that has never done me wrong in the 5 years I have ordered from them.
[right][snapback]91425[/snapback][/right]

Bah, it's a small matter. All pizza outside of New York and especially Brooklyn tastes like cowpies. So, take it easy.

-A

ps. I heard that Chicago pizza was good, so I tried it once. It's not bad, but still inferior to many neighborhood pizzerias around Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge.
Ashock,Oct 9 2005, 10:53 PM Wrote:Bah, it's a small matter. All pizza outside of New York and especially Brooklyn tastes like cowpies. So, take it easy.
-A
ps. I heard that Chicago pizza was good, so I tried it once. It's not bad, but still inferior to many neighborhood pizzerias around Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge.
[right][snapback]91488[/snapback][/right]

I take offense! The pizza I make in my own oven is delicious.

However, in general, I am forced to agree with you. Pizza is best from a coal fired or wood fired stove.

I of course, use a wood burning stove.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
"All pizza outside of New York and especially Brooklyn tastes like cowpies."

Wasn't there once a place called Itlee... no... Eataliuh... no, wait... it's coming...

Nah, never mind. I can't imagine they have good pizzas there anyway.

:P

Jester
Physics?

What you described has nothing to do with efficiency. I dont dispute that you can get get a better pizza and a more even heat - but you gain no efficieny.
Ghostiger,Oct 9 2005, 11:52 PM Wrote:Physics?
What you described has nothing to do with efficiency. I dont dispute that you can get get a better pizza and a more even heat - but you gain no efficieny.
[right][snapback]91496[/snapback][/right]

I don't know enough about it to argue. I just know that it works.

Alton Brown however has wrote what almost comes out as a Doctoral Thesis on heat and applied physics in the kitchen. Good stuff, if you can understand it. I get the concepts... But get lost someplace along the way when it becomes to in depth. I just can't do math or calculus or stuff like that. All I can do is scratch my head and go "huh?" My brain is not wired that way. So I don't push my luck trying to understand it to much.

It's pretty much why I can't stand using electric stoves. Just not enough heat. Not enough of the right kind of heat. Same thing with gas stoves. But gas stoves are pretty nice all things considered. I am totally and completely in love with my wood burning cast iron stove, even if it takes some work to keep it running.

And as far as effinciency goes, heat is everything, as is how it is applied. A cake in an electric stove might take 20 to 30 minutes to bake. That's 20 to 30 minutes to lose all kinds of moisture and flavour as the heat slowly settles in to the food and makes it cook. With my stove, it has HOT radiant heat from all sides due to it's heavy several inch thick cast iron construction. That same cake in my oven will start to burn past the 10 minute mark. With such a short cooking time, more moisture is held in the cake, making it moist, chewy, and gooey. Pizza goes in and comes out in a minute or three. Cheese melts almost instantly. Crust is done in moments. Sauce goes from normal to volcanic. Cooks so quickly and effectively that it doesn't have time to turn soggy or spongy or droopy. Veggies flash cook so they stay crispy, crunchy, or chewy, as is the case with mushrooms. They don't have time to steam while sitting in the oven. So they don't wilt. Meats on the pizza will cook so bloody fast that they don't have time to turn greasy or runny. They hold their own moisture in, meaning the pizza is not so greasy gooey. And the meat is not dried out little pieces of tasteless crap. Bite in to it and juice runs everywhere in your mouth... But that juice is not on your pizza making it soggy and limp. Blech.

I have no idea how it works in detail. I just know how to make it work in practical use.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Well efficiency has a specific meaning which you arent using. Its how much energy is required to do something - in this case cook.

All else being equal(as in the original case with a stone put in a conventional oven) heating up all that extra mass - is inefficient. It surely does make for better cooking, its just not more effiecient.

On a a side note in a commercial type oven that ineffiecieny disappears for the most part because the oven is kept on for long periods of time.
Doc,Oct 10 2005, 01:38 AM Wrote:Make pizza your self at home.

Take it home, toss it on your bottom rack, and leave it there. You just improved the thermal effeciancy of your oven considerably. Everything will bake better.
[right][snapback]91441[/snapback][/right]

Yup, I already do, but thanks for the stone idea... I will have to try that. My Pizza always come out dry the way you described... (Does this count as a new dog learning old tricks? :P )