College
Minionman,Aug 23 2005, 08:20 AM Wrote:Classes start tomorrow at university of Illinois.  Moved in on Saturday.

Classes so far are chemistry and some 100's that I really hope are interesting.  (I'm planning to place out of a lot of my math).

You probably are nervous, it's new and you're on your own. I actually can't wait for classes to start, they will b more familiar than the social stuff going on now.
[right][snapback]86992[/snapback][/right]

Heh, you're near me. Anyway, at Saint Louis University (Parks College), 4th year, studying aerospace engineering.

Man, Aerodynamics is going to suck. :P Started lectures yesterday, did all of my fluid dynamics class in one freaking day. <whaps self repeatedly>

On an amusing note, my university thinks I am taking 31 hours, due to the fact the internship I had over the summer got put on the fall semester. :D
good luck!

don't stress much about the small assignments, and don't forget to have fun!

I'm back at W&M for my second year, and this year I have airconditioning, a large improvement over last year, heh.

I'm taking:
Spanish Advanced Conversation/Composition/Grammar
Intro to International Politics
Intro to Music Theory
Jazz in American Society
Baritone lessons
Concert Band
I'm taking Structural Mechanics, Mechanics of Materials I, Dynamics, and Systems Design.

We covered everything I took in statics in one day in structures. I hate the summer, I forget how to do everything. :angry:
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I took classes all summer. That wasn't all that great either.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Minionman,Aug 30 2005, 09:23 AM Wrote:My chemistry lab class is looking "good" for sort of this reason.&nbsp; 1st day in, the lab person says "only 30% of you will get A's in this course" "If you do the work, you will at least get a C".&nbsp; Great, a C.&nbsp; I'm sure everyone else was thinkin the same thing, but still will seem like a pain course.
[right][snapback]87605[/snapback][/right]
A C would be bad for me. Though I may get that in Chem Lab, since I showed up late, wearing shorts, and took off my safety glasses during parts of the lab, all on the first day. All of that was in the syllabus, which I was SUPPOSED to read before I came to class. Ugh.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
I think all the prohibitions on shorts and sandals and taking off your safety goggles are givens for any decent lab class. If they're not, assume that you're going to spend the entire time watching your teacher. Boring boring boring.
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
Safety is really important in any lab. Even in mine where we are crushing samples with a machine that could easily make you a pancake. When I took freshman chemistry, we worked with some highly caustic and corrosive substances when doing titrations and other experiments.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Oooh! Oooh! Don't forget Solidox!
Lady Vashj,Sep 1 2005, 08:30 AM Wrote:Oooh!&nbsp; Oooh!&nbsp; Don't forget Solidox!
[right][snapback]87893[/snapback][/right]
Wow. Reminds me of the Dry Ice Bomb on big-boys.com. It's a long clip, mildly disgusting at the end (some cuts + burns), but a good reason not to mess around with bombs.

Also, I took off my glasses inside the computer lab, not the actual lab. At the time, no experiments were going on, and the computer lab is in its own separate room (with glass separation). It's still smart to keep your glasses on though, but I didn't realize I would get points off my grade by taking them off. Oh well, first class, no biggy.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Life has been a time management pain so far. getting used to homework, figuring out what events to go to, calculator needs batteries, need quarters fr laundry, need food, lot's of extra crap to remember.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Lady Vashj,Aug 30 2005, 08:45 AM Wrote:My suitemate hasn't shown yet, and classes have already started.&nbsp; If she doesn't show by Friday, I get the entire bathroom to myself.&nbsp; I doubt they'll let me into her actual room, but if they do, my quality of life is so gonna skyrocket.

But she's coming from Alaska.&nbsp; Maybe she's on a Northwestern flight...
[right][snapback]87601[/snapback][/right]
She showed up twenty minutes ago.

I wonder where she's been.
College is awesome. It's sad that I'm going to have my Masters in two years. I might have to go on and get a PhD so I can hold off the transition to the "real world" that much longer.

Lab safety is overrated however. Orgo lab pretty much consisted of me playing with the blowtorch and BSing with the GSI (Graduate Student Instructor in case other colleges use different terminology... apparently U of M is too good for "TA" now-a-days) for four hours once a week.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
For any guys out there who are going to college, here's some helpful college advice for getting on well with the ladies.

NEVER ACTUALLY HIT ON ANY OF THEM, EVER.

Really. In college, women come to you. You'll totally blow it with any girl you try to impress, because they'll see you for the poser you are trying to be. They'll like it when you're just being you. Your attitude when you meet any girl, even if she's a supermodel, should be "oh, I'm not looking for a relationship with anyone right now". This is very important. I don't care if she's the most gorgeous creature you've ever seen, you are not interested in a relationship.

If you can pull this off, you will be swimming in phone numbers.
Humm. I've just started my second fall semester over at SFU.

First day of Software Engineering I = welcome to the rest of my life. Team meetings, team managment, team agendas, team chairspersons... Pretty picture, I know.

Hey, I'm just a backbench supporter of the STV system, I never meant that I'd be wanting to write a program to simulate it!
Metrocube,Sep 6 2005, 05:35 PM Wrote:For any guys out there who are going to college, here's some helpful college advice for getting on well with the ladies.

NEVER ACTUALLY HIT ON ANY OF THEM, EVER.

Really. In college, women come to you. You'll totally blow it with any girl you try to impress, because they'll see you for the poser you are trying to be. They'll like it when you're just being you. Your attitude when you meet any girl, even if she's a supermodel, should be "oh, I'm not looking for a relationship with anyone right now".&nbsp; This is very important. I don't care if she's the most gorgeous creature you've ever seen, you are not interested in a relationship.

If you can pull this off, you will be swimming in phone numbers.
[right][snapback]88450[/snapback][/right]
Is that why I kept getting #s when I really didn't want a relationship?
whathuh,Aug 31 2005, 12:41 PM Wrote:A C would be bad for me.&nbsp; Though I may get that in Chem Lab, since I showed up late, wearing shorts, and took off my safety glasses during parts of the lab, all on the first day.&nbsp; All of that was in the syllabus, which I was SUPPOSED to read before I came to class.&nbsp; Ugh.
[right][snapback]87748[/snapback][/right]

I love wearing sandal and shorts on the lab, especially when it is warm. Something that drops on your trousers is often more dangerous...becuase you don't know it is there.
Same goed for wearing gloves....bad idea most of the time (only not when you work with carcinogenic stuff, bromine, and piranha solution).
Most important lab rule, is think what you are doing.

But getting lower grades for not putting on your glasses.....that is treating students as if they were children...bad idea.
whathuh,Sep 6 2005, 07:14 PM Wrote:Is that why I kept getting #s when I really didn't want a relationship?
[right][snapback]88460[/snapback][/right]
Exactly. I'm more likely to give my number to someone I don't think is just trying to get into my pants.

How's this for a slightly unreasonable lab rule:

No contacts in the lab.

Apparently, once upon a time in Canada, someone got something behind a contact and went blind in that eye as a result. But if I don't have contacts in, I'm blind in both eyes, guaranteed. My eyesight is five times as bad as the usual threshold for "can't drive without vision correction". Which is more dangerous, contacts in or contacts out?

My teacher recommended that I either get prescription glasses or full safety goggles.
Good thing my labs don't use chemicals anymore. I just stand around and watch a machine crush material samples.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Sep 7 2005, 08:37 AM Wrote:Good thing my labs don't use chemicals anymore. I just stand around and watch a machine crush material samples.
[right][snapback]88485[/snapback][/right]
Lucky dog. You just stand around? How are you learning anything?

Lady Vashj,Sep 7 2005, 08:25 AM Wrote:Exactly. I'm more likely to give my number to someone I don't think is just trying to get into my pants.

How's this for a slightly unreasonable lab rule:

No contacts in the lab.

Apparently, once upon a time in Canada, someone got something behind a contact and went blind in that eye as a result. But if I don't have contacts in, I'm blind in both eyes, guaranteed. My eyesight is five times as bad as the usual threshold for "can't drive without vision correction". Which is more dangerous, contacts in or contacts out?

My teacher recommended that I either get prescription glasses or full safety goggles.

I think all guys deep down just want to get into a girl's pants.

and yes, that is a very funny rule. I wear contacts as well, and I can't see worth anything without them. My glasses aren't up to prescription either, so I can't see with them.
whathuh,Sep 7 2005, 09:07 AM Wrote:I think all guys deep down just want to get into a girl's pants.
[right][snapback]88494[/snapback][/right]

Don't think so, but in a lot of cases it is floating somewhere in the mind. It isn't the only thing though.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)