College
Tomorrow I will finish packing, and then Wednesday I leave for Burlington, Vermont to start my college career! I will be attending Champlain College which is in the Green Mountains and on the shores of Lake Champlain. I am dual majoring in Computer Networking and Information Security, with a three-year Army ROTC scholarship. =D I am very excited but also a little nervous!

Wish me luck!

Yrrek
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Aug 22 2005, 11:35 PM Wrote:Tomorrow I will finish packing, and then Wednesday I leave for Burlington, Vermont to start my college career! I will be attending Champlain College which is in the Green Mountains and on the shores of Lake Champlain. I am dual majoring in Computer Networking and Information Security, with a three-year Army ROTC scholarship. =D I am very excited but also a little nervous!

Wish me luck!

Yrrek
[right][snapback]86974[/snapback][/right]

Goodluck!

I'm back at Boston University already, sludging my way through RA training, so I can keep freshman like you in line! :P

Cheers,

Munk
Yrrek,Aug 22 2005, 08:35 PM Wrote:Tomorrow I will finish packing, and then Wednesday I leave for Burlington, Vermont to start my college career! I will be attending Champlain College which is in the Green Mountains and on the shores of Lake Champlain. I am dual majoring in Computer Networking and Information Security, with a three-year Army ROTC scholarship. =D I am very excited but also a little nervous!

Wish me luck!

Yrrek

Hey, Spot. Your rank is upside down. :P

Good luck cadet and hopefully officer. :)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I'm currently in my fourth year at Purdue University in civil engineering. We started classes yesterday, and I can't wait for more. My classes are actually interesting this semester: Materials, Dynamics, Systems Design, and Structural Mechanics.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Classes start tomorrow at university of Illinois. Moved in on Saturday.

Classes so far are chemistry and some 100's that I really hope are interesting. (I'm planning to place out of a lot of my math).

You probably are nervous, it's new and you're on your own. I actually can't wait for classes to start, they will b more familiar than the social stuff going on now.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Hi,

Good luck, good grades, good fun :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Do well. Have fun.
Yrrek,Aug 22 2005, 10:35 PM Wrote:Tomorrow I will finish packing, and then Wednesday I leave for Burlington, Vermont to start my college career! I will be attending Champlain College which is in the Green Mountains and on the shores of Lake Champlain. I am dual majoring in Computer Networking and Information Security, with a three-year Army ROTC scholarship. =D I am very excited but also a little nervous!

Wish me luck!

Yrrek

College is like a septic tank: you can only get out of it what you put into it. So, immerse yourself into your college experience and go whole hog.

Nollij is gud.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Drink lots of beers!
Yrrek,Aug 22 2005, 11:35 PM Wrote:Tomorrow I will finish packing, and then Wednesday I leave for Burlington, Vermont to start my college career! I will be attending Champlain College which is in the Green Mountains and on the shores of Lake Champlain. I am dual majoring in Computer Networking and Information Security, with a three-year Army ROTC scholarship. =D I am very excited but also a little nervous!

Wish me luck!

Yrrek

Hi,

Best of Luck :D

Here are a few sites that might help you :wub:

MathWorld

CEOExpress

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
DeeBye,Aug 24 2005, 12:33 AM Wrote:Drink lots of beers!
[right][snapback]87076[/snapback][/right]

Hooray! I second that one.

Yrrek, nervousness is cured by the ol' ale, you know. Just don't drink during or immediately before class. ;)
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Yrrek,Aug 23 2005, 12:35 AM Wrote:Tomorrow I will finish packing, and then Wednesday I leave for Burlington, Vermont to start my college career! I will be attending Champlain College which is in the Green Mountains and on the shores of Lake Champlain. I am dual majoring in Computer Networking and Information Security, with a three-year Army ROTC scholarship. =D I am very excited but also a little nervous!

Wish me luck!

Yrrek
Googd luck!

I've been sitting in Raleigh, NC for the past 2 weeks at NC State University. 17 hours, and my hardest class is Marching Band. How the hell that happened, I don't know. From what everyone has told me, 90% of succeeding in college is just going to class and doing your work.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Depends. You also have to understand what your are doing, especially in engineering. Yes, doing your work helps, but you have to know what is going on and not just plug things into equations. At least, that is what I have learned. There's a lot of advice out there, and some people are all too happy to give you bad advice.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
To take things on a bit of a tangent - I'm applying to grad school at Duke this fall, and was wondering what Durham is like? Is it a good place to live? Any advice? Of all of the schools that I am applying to, Duke is by far the one that I know the least about. It was a late-entry candidate - apparently they are very strong in my field of interest.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
I'm pretty well settled into my dorm at FSU (that's Ferris, not Florida), and classes start Monday. Place ain't the liveliest college in the country - or the state, for that matter - but on the plus side, it really decreases my chances of waking up hungover in a complete stranger's room unable to find my pants.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Well I am here, I don't have a digital camera, so I don't have pictures yet, once I borrow someone's camera I will post some. The view is amazing, I am overlooking Lake Champlain in Burlington, Vermont. The town has tons of stuff to do and the other people in the dorm are pretty cool. =) Thanks everyone for your advice and well wishes!

Yrrek, signing out.
WWBBD?
Chaerophon,Aug 27 2005, 04:28 PM Wrote:To take things on a bit of a tangent - I'm applying to grad school at Duke this fall, and was wondering what Durham is like?  Is it a good place to live?  Any advice?  Of all of the schools that I am applying to, Duke is by far the one that I know the least about.  It was a late-entry candidate - apparently they are very strong in my field of interest.
[right][snapback]87387[/snapback][/right]
At least it's not UNC... Durham is a nice town. You can find pretty much anything there, and if not, go to Raleigh. Make sure you stop by the Q-Shack and get some beef brisket. Duke is an awesome school, as I'm sure you know, and it better be after what you are paying for it. I'm not exactly sure what I should tell you more about Durham, since it is pretty much exactly like every other city out there. As for attractions, I have no idea, sorry. I can call up my Aunt and Uncle who live in Durham, ask them, and maybe go out for a meal at the Q-Shack (seriously, go there).
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
I remember college. Going to class and doing your work was I'd say... 75% of the battle. The remaining 25% was getting along with your professors to get the good grades (knowledge is no good in school if you can't convince your professors of how much you have). I was good at the 75%, but convincing them was tough. Especially when they had the 1 A, 1 B, everyone else C policy. You had to be better than 25 other people to get an A or 24 people to get a B. Get a real genius who was good at tests of professor favorite and your semester is shot to hell (getting 56 out of 60 points for the entire class and getting a C next to the lazy 22 point bum was complete crap, especially when the A was 59 points, the B was 58).

As far as the beers, enjoy the beers properly. Let it get in the way of school and you'll fast find yourself in deep doggie doo doo. Get those easy classes over with and get As as much as you can. Graduate school was considerably easier than undergraduate as less was expected out of you for some reason. If you have the opportunity to go all the way through to PhD, take it (I didn't get to and am still mad about it). You'll likely never go back to school once you leave.

Once again, enjoy it while it lasts.
My suitemate hasn't shown yet, and classes have already started. If she doesn't show by Friday, I get the entire bathroom to myself. I doubt they'll let me into her actual room, but if they do, my quality of life is so gonna skyrocket.

But she's coming from Alaska. Maybe she's on a Northwestern flight...
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Selby,Aug 28 2005, 09:58 PM Wrote:I remember college.  Going to class and doing your work was I'd say... 75% of the battle.  The remaining 25% was getting along with your professors to get the good grades (knowledge is no good in school if you can't convince your professors of how much you have).  I was good at the 75%, but convincing them was tough.  Especially when they had the 1 A, 1 B, everyone else C policy.  You had to be better than 25 other people to get an A or 24 people to get a B.  Get a real genius who was good at tests of professor favorite and your semester is shot to hell (getting 56 out of 60 points for the entire class and getting a C next to the lazy 22 point bum was complete crap, especially when the A was 59 points, the B was 58).
[right][snapback]87458[/snapback][/right]

My chemistry lab class is looking "good" for sort of this reason. 1st day in, the lab person says "only 30% of you will get A's in this course" "If you do the work, you will at least get a C". Great, a C. I'm sure everyone else was thinkin the same thing, but still will seem like a pain course.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)