What is the best feeling ever?
Since this thread gathered a lot of interest, I figure we could also do the mirror image.

Here's my list:
  • Sneezes. I've heard that a sneeze is the closest physical sensation you can get to an orgasm. I agree. I loves me a good sneeze. The corallary to this is the dreaded failed sneeze. I hate it when you have to sneeze, and it sort of peters out before it goes off. That sucks.
    <>
  • Walking on the back. Having someone walk gently on your back feels all kinds of awesome.
    <>
  • Scratching your scalp with a fork. I had a high school friend that used to do this. I always thought it was weird and disgusting, so I called him on it. He told me I had to try it before I bashed the practice, so I did. I am now a convert. Lightly scratching your scalp with a dull fork feels really great.
    <>
  • The smell of freshly cooked bread. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, smells as good as fresh-cooked bread. My mother used to sell real estate, and she always suggested to her potential sellers that they bake some bread before a prospective buyer tours the home. Nothing says "home" like the smell of baked bread. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best smell in the world.
    <>
  • A deep breath in bitter cold. It's a real pick-me-up. When you take a deep breath of bitterly cold air, you can feel your little lung sacs perk up.<>
    [st]
My list:
  • Sex. I don't know if that's appropriate to discuss further. But that's at the top of my list.<>
  • A good stout or porter after a long day.<>
  • Walking in falling snow.<>
  • Smoking a cigar. It's cathartic. I've never smoked a cigarette but the inhalation of smoke can, granted in an odd way, be a great feeling.<>
  • The feeling of wind on a freshly shaved head.<>
  • Naps on summer weekend outside<>
  • Chopping wood. Same for Rowing. Something about the physical exertion with a rhythmn is amazing.<>
  • Sinking a 3 pointer. Similar to hitting a homerun.<>
  • Riding with the windows and sunroof down.<>
  • Driving very fast. I put that behind me soon after getting my license, but there was a great sensation that went with it. Similar to riding a rollercoaster. Or bungee jumping.<>
  • Digging your toes in warm sand. I live in a coastal town and look forward to it every year.<>
  • Swimming naked.<>
  • Hiking.<>
  • Runners high. The feeling you get 30 minutes into running.<>
  • Receiving a hand written letter in the mail.<>
  • A hot shower when you're sick.<>
  • Freshly brushed teeth. The feeling of it, and the first breath after.<>
    [st]Not sure if these apply, because they aren't as physical as the others.
    • Working hard on an assignment and getting an A (that applies to most things)<>
    • Reuniting with friends at the airport.*<>
    • The feeling after finishing a good book.

*funny story about that. I met one of my best friends at the airport after she spent the summer in Italy. I knocked over a 3 year old when I picked her up and spun her around. :blush:<>
      [st]I'm sure I'll think of more. But that's it for now :)

Cheers,

Munk

Every Edit: Adding more
Munkay,Mar 13 2005, 12:29 AM Wrote:
  • <>
  • Chopping wood.&nbsp; Same for Rowing.&nbsp; Something about the physical exertion with a rhythmn is amazing.
    <>
    [st]
    [right][snapback]70577[/snapback][/right]

I agree with you here. I never did much wood-chopping as a youngster ( I always used a hydraulic wood-splitter when I had the chance), but I loved rowing. It was very tough physical work, but rowing as a part of an 8-person team was great fun. I lived on the shore of the St. Lawrence river at the time, right where it meets the Thousand Islands. The scenery was spectacular. Rowing through the Thousand Islands was very serene.
Ahem.

1) First kiss.

2) Sort of like dull fork head scratching but instead just rubbing the scalp.

3) Along with the hair theme... Getting a girl too play with your hair. :rolleyes:
I have my own signature. Yay.
Some of my favorite physical sensations include:

-Forgetting to turn off your alarm, waking up early on a weekend, then realizing that you can cozy up and go back to sleep.

-Free fall in small doses in a controlled environment, for instance above a trampoline or a deep pool of water.

-That worn-out feeling you get after an intense period of physical activity like chopping wood or playing ultimate frisbee.

-Taking a good, solid dump. Some bodily functions just don't get the credit they deserve.

--Copadope
Quote:-Taking a good, solid dump. Some bodily functions just don't get the credit they deserve.

LOL. I'm surprised anybody had the guts to say it! :D
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Satisfying a longing. Ever get a craving for something then get denied fulfillment? Like remembering a childhood cartoon you hadn't seen in years (in my case, Count Duckula) and finally watching it again?

Best feeling in the world. Better than sex.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Mar 13 2005, 01:06 AM Wrote:Satisfying a longing. Ever get a craving for something then get denied fulfillment? Like remembering a childhood cartoon you hadn't seen in years (in my case, Count Duckula) and finally watching it again?

Best feeling in the world. Better than sex.
[right][snapback]70591[/snapback][/right]

I suppose one's mileage may vary on that score. (Italics were added by me.)

That said: I will "me too" the exquisite sensation of a longing gratified after prolonged denial -- like that first cold beer after we spent 48 days on the gun line (afloat) off of Beirut in '84. I can still remember how delicious that beer was. It helped that it was a draft Molson's. Beer now and again tastes almost as good as that one did. Caveat: Guinness after a Hash House Harriers run is in a class by itself. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Eating good soup:, I'm not sure why, but soup almost always is good. Hot chocolate at the right temperature is similar

Watching a play: same with soup. It doesn't matter what the play is, I've always liked them when watching them as plays.

Doing something well: already described

Going to the bathroom after holding it in for awhile: similar to the other idea already mentioned.

getting grime off: this could either be a shower, or having some different clothes or sheets, always feels good.

getting a good sleep: first, your not tired anymore, second, it's nice to be able to wake up and get straight out of bed without having to force yourself to do it.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
DeeBye,Mar 12 2005, 09:47 PM Wrote:Since this thread gathered a lot of interest, I figure we could also do the mirror image.

[st]
[right][snapback]70574[/snapback][/right]

I too rowed eights. Had one of those out of body experiences one afternoon. Sun setting over the Severn, rowing back toward the boat house, and all eight were hitting just right. It was my first experience with being in "the zone." Awesome.

As to great physical sensations:

1. After four or five hours of working in the yard, leaping into a cold pool. That first shock of cool water is indescribable, but wonderful.

2. After a few hours of working on a home project, sitting on the back porch, Dominican cigar in one hand, glass of Glenmorangie or Talisker in the other, watching the kids play or the sun go down. Contentment squared.

3. The first sip of hot coffee, or tea, on a cold morning when out in the field.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Beyond the obvious orgasmic bliss here are mine in no particular order,

* holding your newly born baby
* full body massage
* being the shooter at the craps table for an hour (and making $$$ :) )
* peeling a sunburn
* hot tub in a snow storm with good tunes and mulled wine
* snuggling with a honey by the fire
* dancing till dawn
* going walk about
* free fall
* diving reefs
* fresh powder and an empty ski run
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Occhidiangela,Mar 13 2005, 10:30 AM Wrote:2.&nbsp; After a few hours of working on a home project, sitting on the back porch, Dominican cigar in one hand, glass of Glenmorangie or Talisker in the other, watching the kids play or the sun go down.&nbsp; Contentment squared.

[right][snapback]70610[/snapback][/right]

I'll second that one, albeit with a different beverage. Sitting on the dock, watching the kids play and contemplating the completed project is indeed contentment squared. :) Thanks for the nice word combination, Occhi.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Occhidiangela,Mar 13 2005, 03:14 PM Wrote:That said: I will "me too" the exquisite sensation of a longing gratified after prolonged denial&nbsp; -- like that first cold beer after we spent 48 days on the gun line (afloat) off of Beirut in '84.
[right][snapback]70606[/snapback][/right]

I have to add that your first legal drink (out in public with friends) is like nothin' else.

"Better than sex" is highly subjective, and you weren't the only old-timer PMing the youngin' about how subjective that can be. Moving on...

Other examples:

Personal success. Something that other people may not care about but matters a great deal to you. For me, throwing a pot that didn't develop air bubbles or cracks or didn't explode in the kiln is my best success story yet. (A 3@30 may do it for the rest of us, I dunno. ;))

Receiving the perfect gift. The stuffed Tonberry on top of my tower is a testament to this.

Shoulder massage.

Home cooking!
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Feeling better after a period of aches and misery from being sick or broken. It always gives the sensation of feeling better than I've ever felt, even though it is just getting back to normal.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Haircuts. I wish my hair grew faster so I could get it cut more often. Some of my favorite parts are those little goosebumps you get from the clippers as your scalp tries to stand on end, the care a good barber or hairdresser takes to get it just right, and just sitting in that chair with your eyes closed and relaxing with every breath.

My last stylist had very strong hands. She almost became a masseuse but chose to go to beauty school instead. I always got the shampoo with my cut. They were some of the best scalp massages I have ever had.

Another of my favorite feelings is sliding into a bed with fresh sheets. Some high thread count, high quality, sheets.

Firing the M2 .50 caliber machine gun, well. The noise, the power, the smell of the powder, and the beauty of the tracer fire slicing through the air.

And for a simple pleasure, taking a very deep breath in through your nose, holding it for a moment, and then letting it out through your nose again.

edit: oh, and that feeling you get deep down when a baby wraps all their little fingers around one of your fingers.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
- Freshly shaved head, just the feel of the wind and water rushing over your scalp is amazing! Plus ladies love to rub it! :)

- Scalp massages, sort of the same idea as above.

- Any kind of exercise.

- That numb feeling you get between your eyes that slowly spreads out across your head when someone put their finger almost on the bridge of your nose between your eyes.

- Adrenaline.
WWBBD?
Occhidiangela,Mar 13 2005, 10:14 AM Wrote:That said: I will "me too" the exquisite sensation of a longing gratified after prolonged denial&nbsp; -- like that first cold beer after we spent 48 days on the gun line (afloat) off of Beirut in '84.&nbsp; I can still remember how delicious that beer was.&nbsp; It helped that it was a draft Molson's.&nbsp; Beer now and again tastes almost as good as that one did.&nbsp;
[right][snapback]70606[/snapback][/right]

I don't know how good it is going to taste, but this one seems like it might be tailor made for the over-caffeinated rogue.

New Molson Beer :rolleyes:
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Yrrek,Mar 13 2005, 11:27 PM Wrote:- Adrenaline.
[right][snapback]70654[/snapback][/right]

Not for me ! Adrenaline causes a nasty jangling nerves feeling as you come down from it.

I had an experience once, driving late at night. I got mesmerized by the long straight stretches of the last bit before the cottage turn-off, and missed my turn. When I realized it, I pulled over on the (apparently) empty highway, intending to make a U-turn and get back to my turn-off. There was a whoosh and a loud horn sound as the car that had been ghosting behind me warned me not to do that quite yet. Damn ! It scared the bejezus out of me, gave me a huge adrenaline rush and then I was up for hours later, even though I had been tired enough to miss my turn in the first place. :unsure:

Edit: Ghosting is the practice of following another car down the highway, but not having any running lights or headlights of your own on. Popular among a certain group of the rural folk around Bruce County. I could speculate on why, but nobody I know has ever admitted to it, so I don't really have any idea why this could be considered a Fun Thing™.
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

I was present for the birth of both my girls , Brittany - now 12 yrs old , and Ahstyn -- now 8 yrs old :D

Being there and watching both these babies come into the world was an amazing feeling , but thats not the "Best" feeling I'm talking about ... that came when my wife finally let go of my hand ... :blush:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Best feeling ever?

Standing naked in some mountain stream with a bow and arrows, bow fishing. Standing for hours, totally still, with your toes curled around the slippery stones, waiting for the right moment, with the right fish. The sun, and cool breezes, and the sound of the water. Bow pulled tight, just waiting. The feeling of strain and tension in the human body, followed by the sudden release as you fire your arrow into the fish.

Howling with the wolves in the middle of the night at the moon out in the middle of nowhere. After a day of fishing or hunting on nature's terms, with bow, arrow, and wit.

Firing a large calibre handgun, like the S&W 500 revolver.

COLD cream soda or birch beer after getting hot, sticky, and sweaty on a hot humid Southern day. Mmm sweet nectre of life!

The delightful preditory feeling of stalking prey... This should have been grouped with the above, but I am to lazy to move it. Delicious tension, not knowing how this will turn out, or if the hunter will become the hunted. Followed by the rewarding smell of fresh blood, salty, coppery, the smell of life, when you make the kill.

The fur of very young animals, like puppies and kittens. It's very very soft and uneffected by life. Warm fuzzy cuddly. Not to mention all the tingly emotional responses.

Getting your face licked by said puppy.

Being totally naked and rolling in wet dewey grass like some beast. On a cool morning. Especially clover... The sweet smell. Just beware of bees, a not so pleasant sensation. Having a loved one, like say, your wife or significant other, join you for a morning roll in the wet dewey clover.

:wub:
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."