Silly WoW Screenshots Thread
Bob,Sep 6 2004, 03:17 PM Wrote:Are you people using low graphic settings? or does the beta have crippled graphics? or are the graphics really not fabby? or am I too demanding?

Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of comparative experience. I tried Quake II because my son played it, but I do not enjoy that sort of game. I can say the WoW graphics are better than King's Quest IV, and at least as good as Wasteland.

I run with high settings of antialiasing, and I continue to be awed with the quality of the graphics, particularly the textures. If I had any complaint it would be that round objects could use a few more polygons, and my character's breasts a few less.

A separate issue is cartoon nature of the WoW world. That is the thing I like least about the game and something that would make me think twice before buying it.

Before I got in the beta my son said the graphics were much better than could be conveyed by screenshots, and I must say he was right. For once.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
From my experiences, the stress test seems to run very choppy - and not because of server lag, as I massive slowdowns, even if there are, say, 600 people on the server. The graphics are average on the scale, compared to the current gems.
In my case, I have all the graphic settings set to their lowest levels to avoid any problems with lag. My computer isn't a top of the line model anymore.
I'd say the cartoonish look is a positive - it gives WoW a very distinctive look; you aren't going to confuse WoW with another game, just like you aren't going to confuse The Wind Waker with another game.

[Image: Cairne.jpg]

Couldn't find Thrall when I was wandering about Orgrimmar (which is a horrifically designed city, anyway), but The Big Chief isn't hard to find, and he looks cooler, anyway. Check out that wicked axe he wields next time you visit him (and notice that I got him to put it up ^_^ )

[Image: Lotsofpeople.jpg]

Wouldn't it be great if 85% of the world's population was playing WoW?

[Image: Mountaintop.jpg]

A shot of Mulgore, from the top of a mountain. FarClip was set to 75%; it'd probably look prettier if it was set to 100%.

[Image: RaidingParty.jpg]

An early counter-raid against the Alliance Scum ™.

[Image: Rawr.jpg]

Rawr! Shot I took as I was heading back to Thunder Bluff to pick up some new skills for Defensive Stance. Note that the interface is disabled.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Bolty,Aug 15 2004, 10:44 AM Wrote:Blasted Lands screenshots!
Ok.

[Image: darkportal.jpg]

[Image: darkportalclose.jpg]

[Image: infernal.jpg]

[Image: dreadlord.jpg]

By the way, a lot of the graphical crappiness in the screenshots has to do with low quality jpg compression, the game looks ten times better in play than in screenshots.
[Image: 25908kuenZ.png]
Tal,Aug 31 2004, 02:11 PM Wrote:All I can say is thank goodness for the Tabard and cape. Otherwise Sharanna's dignity would be forever shattered. ;)
I'm modest again:

[Image: leggings.gif]
This thread is one of my favorites to read

Keep the pictures coming!

Us non-beta testers appreciate it,

Cheers,

Munk
[Image: team_up_rabbit.jpg]

That's one tough rabbit, I tells ya.

I just love how those wolves were never going to give up on that rabbit. It's quite symbolic, actually. Never give up hope, guys, never give up hope. *cough*
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Sep 18 2004, 11:55 AM Wrote:That's one tough rabbit, I tells ya.
I really hope they can fix that bug, the amount of bugged monsters I ran across in the stress test was just disconcerting.
[Image: 25908kuenZ.png]
Omega,Sep 19 2004, 01:02 AM Wrote:I really hope they can fix that bug, the amount of bugged monsters I ran across in the stress test was just disconcerting.
Yay rabbit!

Pyrewood village is especially bad. I swear, there were at least 3 dozen "EVADE" enemies clogging up the gates there when I made my way through it.
Some more interesting screenshots =)

Frst, an example of a mob train that can be achieved in instances. Notice that this is about 1/4 of mobs of the whole train. Choo-choo!

[Image: screen5.jpg]

Second, a damsel in distress.

[Image: screen6.jpg]

And lastly, a rather good example of why the current penalty of running to your corpse is more then enough, when you can die by simply doing routine stuff as reloading your trinket! While I look alive on the screenshot, look at the log on the right.

[Image: screen7.jpg]

~lem
Since the servers seem to be down for some much needed maintenance, I can add that all is not well with the most recent patch:

[Image: gryphon.jpg]

I reported the bug that I did not get rest credit for being in an inn.

Gryphons can now also fly under water, which I believe is new this patch. There was a remarkable sequence of my gryphon rising from a moat like the amphibious helicopter of the movie The Three Stooges in Orbit.

Then there was the time last night when the gnome designed Deeprun Tram dumped me on the tracks halfway between Stormwind and Ironforge.

Your milage may, and probably will, vary.
More silly screenshots!

Note: I'm still amazed sometimes at how gorgeous the graphics are. It helps to take shots like the following. But please keep in mind that these shots are all compressed in both size and quality in order to facilitate better downloading and display. The original images, in all their glory, are over 5 megabytes in size!

First off, I'm the KING OF THE WORLD!

[Image: wow58.jpg]

Just a random shot of Boltie, your friendly neighborhood Warlock on the PvP server (where she's not-so-friendly to passing Horde) catching a ride on the boat from Menethil Harbor to Theramore, across the sea.

Next, here's what happens when the Horde amass a force in the Stormwind-Ironforge tram. The Alliance freaks out and forms a roadblock in the tunnel into Ironforge. Notice my wonderful frame rate!

[Image: wow59.jpg]

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Oct 25 2004, 03:23 PM Wrote:...

Next, here's what happens when the Horde amass a force in the Stormwind-Ironforge tram.  The Alliance freaks out and forms a roadblock in the tunnel into Ironforge.  Notice my wonderful frame rate!

-Bolty
[right][snapback]58153[/snapback][/right]

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic about your wonderful frame rate or not :blink:

I know that I would be ecstatic if my frame rate would stay that stead in crowded areas! :lol:
Since it will still be a few more hours before I get my retail copy, I thought I'd share the last moments of my last five months...

Where is the honeycomb?

[Image: honey.jpg]

Wonder what this does?

[Image: gong.jpg]

Vain attempt to turn back time

[Image: tick.jpg]

Ruefully checks her quest log

[Image: questlog.jpg]

Last sad farewell to Uther

[Image: uther.jpg]
Visions of sugar plums?