Poll: Should the Poll feature of this board be disabled?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
41.27%
26 41.27%
No
14.29%
9 14.29%
Don't Care
6.35%
4 6.35%
Mythical Creatures Haunt My Nightmares
38.10%
24 38.10%
Total 63 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll on the poll
Quote:You know, I'm beginning to wish that the "Poll" feature of this board were disabled. Perhaps I'll make a formal suggestion to that effect. So far, every poll proposed that was not meant as a joke has been a joke anyway.
-Pete
This poll IS meant as a joke! Hahahaha. :lol:
hahhhahahah! i responded as 4 they really do
Refrigerator,May 14 2003, 10:24 PM Wrote:
Quote:You know, I'm beginning to wish that the "Poll" feature of this board were disabled. Perhaps I'll make a formal suggestion to that effect. So far, every poll proposed that was not meant as a joke has been a joke anyway.
-Pete
This poll IS meant as a joke! Hahahaha. :lol:
Joke or no, this is the first poll I've actually voted in. Get rid of 'em. ;)
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,May 15 2003, 05:15 PM Wrote:Joke or no, this is the first poll I've actually voted in.  Get rid of 'em. ;)
I know what you mean. <_<

Ditch these bloody things for good I say. Alternately, change the link to point to a self-ban script, for low maintenance idiot weeding.

It's probably simpler just to get rid of polling though. ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I voted NO because although there may have been some (or, if you want to, a lot) stupid polls, odds are that there comes up something that is really worth making a poll about...
Another option would be that, like on other pages, the administrators make a poll on the main page www.lurkerlounge.com, and then they keep it for a month or so and make a new one. Thus, I think, useless polls are avoided (we trust our admins, don't we :D ), but there are still the polls with the most interesting question of the week (if the majority agrees with the admins point of view).
What do you think?

Looking forward to your feedback...

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Polls are against what I thought the LL was about... in depth analysis. How can you get that with a 'choice' of 5 fixed options?
Polls on forums are in my opinion as annoying as the /amsg option on IRC.
I say we do what Ironworks does and make a forum just for polls.

Either that, or make it an administrator-only option and have people petition the administrators to make polls about necessary topics. I think Elric should have a job besides whipping out his trout whenever bad spelling attacks.

(I know that sounds bad, but really, that's what's been happening! Elric, it's time to put away your trout.)
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Hail Duckula,

Firstly, bad jokes are my forte ;) Secondly, it's grammar I nit, not spelling: I cannot spell to save my life :lol: Even then, the trout is saved for people who break netiquette; the grammar nits are usually piggybacked with something else :D

In all seriousness though, that's not a bad idea there: I am personally for the removal of polls, but they *can* serve a purpose (well, I think they can: I cannot think of a poll that couldn't be better placed as a discussion thread to be honest). This way, if possible to impliment (I'll have to check it out later) would be a reasonable solution.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I think the polls should be Moderator controlled as well - If you absolutely must have a poll , try convincing a Mod first via PM , if they hit you with the Pros and Cons in reply , then you may have avoided public humiliation .
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Hello Duckula!

The truth is, I must agree with you here. Setting polls to a moderator only option would be the best choice, however if the mods aren't up to it I would rather have polls removed entirely than to keep them in. I believe whyBish said something along the lines of "Polls are against the idea of the lounge." I agree completely because the loung really is about in depth discussion, and polls limit it. On the other hand, they can also spark discussion by offering a closed viewpoint which I feel they are still somewhat necessary in the way of life.

Either way, polls should in my opinion be at least limited...

Just my 2 cents (or 0.02 cents, if you really want it to be ;))

Baylan
I second Count Duckula's motion. Or third it, or whatever place in line I am to say

"What she said!!"

Insofar as trout flogging, Elric and his trout surely have a speical and consensual relationship . . . but he'd best not stuff his into the pouch of just any 'roo! :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(about our polls)
"I edited it." :lol:
Wow, 11 people voted for the fourth choice? I'm.... astounded!
This might be the first decent poll made thus far...

Interesting results. I had no idea the posters here were this annoyed with polls. And it took a poll to show me that. Hmm. :o

So, ditch the polls or have admin-only polls?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,May 15 2003, 08:40 PM Wrote:So, ditch the polls or have admin-only polls?
I suggest straight ditching of the polls. If not, your already overworked administration crew will have to spend more time fending off poll requests, justifying poll request denials, re-working poll request phrasing, etc. than they could possibly be worth.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

no text
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Shadow reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask. What exactly do the moderators do here besides telling everyone to play nicely in the sandbox, update the Lounge, and something involving trout?
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Hail Shadow,

Perhaps a Disclaimer: the Admin reserve the right to completely ignore your poll requests ;)

Hail Duckula,

Umm... not much more. I move posts in the wrong forum, lock topics that need to be, nuke spam, ban idiots, and wave a trout at people who are being bad little boys and girls ;) Gris and Bolty do all that and also handle the DII section of the site with news and, later on, updates; Lemming does that for the DI section. The other three also moderate the IRC channel; I would be doing that too, but IRC has decided it wouldn't work properly for me this year :( Oh, and Bolty makes sure the forum software behaves itself too - I am not sure, by rumour has it he threatens the server with a right tuna-beating if it doesn't behave :lol: I think that's all, though I may have forgotten something.